• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MD380 privacy - how good is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The privacy on the MD380's, how good is it? Is it inversion? Or scrambling, I am trying to find cheaper radios for a school environment and they want SECURE radios apparently.. Any insight would be helpful. Or if there are any other CCR's with Privacy, let me know! Thanks.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Enhanced Privacy is actual encryption, not inversion scrambling. The NSA can probably crack it, but it's not something the local skript kiddie can decode.

Basic Privacy is trivially crackable.

RayAir

Enhanced Privacy is OK.

Check your key on another radio without encryption though, because I had a few keys that didn't "encrypt" too good.

They were 32 digital hexadecimal keys and a few just made the voice sound choppy and robotic.

So, I'd say it's generally good enough. But it's far from AES, by a light year or two.

RayAir

If you plan on using these radios for a school that wants something cheap and private I would strap the voice privacy and probably just use basic privacy.

I don't use the MD-380 anymore, but I had problems with the radios dropping out of EP mode if it received an unencrypted signal, or a basic privacy coded signal. The radio would then no longer function in EP mode until you rewrote it using CPS.

If in BP mode, I never had it do that.
If you use a BP key, for example- 'D8F5', it should offer reasonable privacy.

I don't see that much of a gain by using the TYT 128 bit EP mode. It uses no IV, and from what I've read the key stream is actually 49 bits.

Also keep in mind, it will process any signal it receives if on the same frequency and color code.
If it received a clear signal from some outside user and you have privacy activated on your radio, it will play garbled audio.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I don't see that much of a gain by using the TYT 128 bit EP mode. It uses no IV, and from what I've read the key stream is actually 49 bits.

Also keep in mind, it will process any signal it receives if on the same frequency and color code.
If it received a clear signal from some outside user and you have privacy activated on your radio, it will play garbled audio.

The latest TYT firmware does use an IV in EP mode. It also appears to fix the problem with dropping out of EP mode. I did some testing, and wasn't able to disable EP by sending unencrypted transmission to the radio.

You can eliminate receiving garbled audio from third parties by using a random 7-digit numbers for your encrypted talkgroup IDs. The odds of someone else using the same talkgroup ID is pretty slim.

Last edited:

RayAir

The latest TYT firmware does use an IV in EP mode. It also appears to fix the problem with dropping out of EP mode. I did some testing, and wasn't able to disable EP by sending unencrypted transmission to the radio.

You can eliminate receiving garbled audio from third parties by using a random 7-digit numbers for your encrypted talkgroup IDs. The odds of someone else using the same talkgroup ID is pretty slim.

Good to hear they fixed it. I'll have to try this out.

I sent you a PM.

RayAir

Ugh...

Tested firmware D003.020 and the 128-bit EP is the same as before:
- No privacy indicator
- No MI
- Processes received clear voice through scrambler

But, it doesn't drop out of EP mode anymore.
So that's good.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
When you say "no privacy indicator" are you referring to the flag in the data, or the radio display? Because there is an icon on the display (a checkered shield) when EP is active.

Not sure what you mean by "MI".

I wouldn't consider "processes clear voice through scrambler" to be a bug or an issue. If a channel is supposed to be secured, that forces anyone who has their privacy settings configured incorrectly, or not configured at all, to fix their settings before they can communicate on the channel. Otherwise you'll enable some lazy or malicious individual to talk on the channel in the clear without others realizing they are unauthorized.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Those are the more technical aspects of DMR packets. A PI (privacy indicator) header is part of a packet that indicates enhanced privacy or AES is in use (basic privacy doesn't use this as it's not really a form of encryption). The MI is another packet (Message Indicator) which carries data like the KeyID and the Algorithm ID. The absence of these packets indicates that TYT is doing something weird with their encryption and certainly aren't conforming to any of the DMR standards.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
So the voice data is being encrypted, but none of the usual headers and flags indicating the use of encryption are being broadcast. You have to know the KeyID, the associated key value, and the algorithm to properly decode the data.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Well you need all that regardless... It basically means they are using some bizarre format that doesn't adhere to DMR standards, so who knows how secure it is, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.