• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MD380 Scanning receiving stops

Status
Not open for further replies.

n5pwp

Or at least it 'seems' that it stops. I have the HT loaded with the latest firmware (V01.34) and MD380Tools (2017-03-14). When I put it into scan mode sometimes it seems as though its been a while since I've heard a transmission. I'm also monitoring the repeater using DSDPlus and can see transmissions coming from the repeater. If I reach over and tap the red key(exit?) usually I then start receiving. Then it works as expected for a while. I have the squelch set to normal so I don't think its a squelch issue. When it receives it receives beautifully. What does the exit key do when I hit it? It doesn't seem to take it out of scan mode because the LED on the top continues to blink red. Also I can look over and see the LED turn green indicating it is receiving a signal. I suppose it might be just a timing issue but it seems strange that just when I tap the exit button audio pops in.

Thanks.
Mike

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Isn't it possible that the repeater might be transmitting talk groups that you don't have programmed into your portable (or your scan list)?? I have a similar situation and I believe that the repeater owner uses some unpublished talk groups for their private use.

John

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
Just a possibility, although you might already know this. But each frequency you have programmed could use slot 1 or slot 2, so you have to have the correct one programmed, or just program the channel twice with each slot as a separate entry. If a transmission is on Slot 2 and you only have slot 1 programmed in the radio, you won't hear it on the MD380, but DSD+ will.
The talkgroups only matter when transmitting. The radio will receive any talkgroup when the Premis mode is enabled.

n5pwp

Its possible, but like I said I'm also monitoring with DSDPlus and audio is being output from the PC speakers on a common TG (3100) and no audio is coming through from the HT. I press the red key and most times audio pops out. At first I thought maybe the HT's scanning is slow and it wasn't on that TG at the time of a transmission and it missed it. But this is on fairly long transmissions. I usually use the red key to back out of menus. I'm wondering what it does during scan mode or is it just very coincidental that it sounds when I tap it?

Thanks for the idea John.
Mike

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Its possible, but like I said I'm also monitoring with DSDPlus and audio is being output from the PC speakers on a common TG (3100) and no audio is coming through from the HT. I press the red key and most times audio pops out. At first I thought maybe the HT's scanning is slow and it wasn't on that TG at the time of a transmission and it missed it. But this is on fairly long transmissions. I usually use the red key to back out of menus. I'm wondering what it does during scan mode or is it just very coincidental that it sounds when I tap it?

Thanks for the idea John.
Mike

Yes the only reason why I suggested that is DSD+ is like a scanner (my Whistler DMR scanners)- it doesn't care what the slot is, you will receive the audio regardless whether it is slot 1 or 2. But the MD-380 does care and the audio will only come through if the slot being used matches what you have programmed. That to me explains why you only hear audio "some of the time". Just a possibility.

n5pwp

pro106import. Yes, I have both time slots programmed into the HT. Plus it has happened on TG3100. I know it is working because I hear audio on TG3100 on TS1. I have all the TGs programmed in and they are correct according to the repeater web site. Also I have heard audio on all of them when I'm just monitoring that specific TG/channel statically (not in scan mode). Perhaps it is something unique to my device. I thought maybe I had a setting incorrect in my code plug.

Thanks, pro for the suggestion.
Mike

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
pro106import. Yes, I have both time slots programmed into the HT. Plus it has happened on TG3100. I know it is working because I hear audio on TG3100 on TS1. I have all the TGs programmed in and they are correct according to the repeater web site. Also I have heard audio on all of them when I'm just monitoring that specific TG/channel statically (not in scan mode). Perhaps it is something unique to my device. I thought maybe I had a setting incorrect in my code plug.

Thanks, pro for the suggestion.
Mike

OK looks like you have that situation covered. Thats the only thing I could think of Mike. I also have a different problem with mine but don't think it would help you. My radio actually reboots when it lands on specific frequencies when it receives a transmission. Pretty much had me stumped for a while. Finally went back to the orig. firmware and the radio received everything fine. I found I could use MD380Tools firmware all the way and only up to the December 9, 2016 version. Anything after that I get the reboot problem. But I'm satisfied with the way it is with that firmware. I mostly wanted it for the Promiscuous mode and that works fine on the dec. 9 2016 FW.
Maybe try the older firmware for the heck of it just to see if that is a start to figuring it out. I got the older FW on the foxhollow FTP.

It is probably just a bug that has never been fixed. The MD-380 had loads of bugs when it first came out but many of them were fixed in firmware updates. I would guess that the manufacturer just never found/bothered to fix this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.