• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MDC-1200 for NEXEDGE Radios Now Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

baycomm

Kenwood has released a new firmware version (2.04) for the NX mobiles and portables that includes MDC-1200 encode & decode. Various other functions including low cost IP networking for conventional repeaters have also been added. They have also added the ability to automatically switch between wideband analog operation and NXDN operation. This previously only worked when using narrowband analog. A wideband user can now migrate to NXDN and still retain use of their old radios during the transition.

n1oty

Premium Subscriber
Firmware is on Kenwood Tools web site. All authorized dealers should have access.

I talked to Kenwood tech support a couple of days ago, in order to check on the flash in my current NX-700H. Specifically, I noted this post about firmware 2.04 and found my Kenwood had 1.22.00. I found out that much depends on whether you have a Version 1 or a Version 2 radio. Tech support told me that my radio was made in 2009, is version 1 and current version 1 Nexedge radio firmware is 1.25.00. I'm thinking that this reference to version 2.04 firmware is probably related to version 2 radios.

baycomm

MDC & other features only work with version 2 firmware. Any NX radio can be upgraded to version 2. If your dealer doesn't know about this or doesn't want to deal with it, I highly recommend finding one that is more experienced with the Nexedge product. Ask them how many Nexedge radios they have sold and how many systems they have built. (We're up to 4 trunked systems and numerous conventional repeaters)

n1oty

Premium Subscriber
MDC & other features only work with version 2 firmware. Any NX radio can be upgraded to version 2. If your dealer doesn't know about this or doesn't want to deal with it, I highly recommend finding one that is more experienced with the Nexedge product. Ask them how many Nexedge radios they have sold and how many systems they have built. (We're up to 4 trunked systems and numerous conventional repeaters)

OK. Good info. I haven't even inquired yet, but I'm sure our local Kenwood guy, who is very knowledgeable, can easily handle this for me. I am surprised that Kenwood tech support did not tell me that it is possible to flash upgrade a version 1 radio to version 2 and that Kenwood is apparently supporting two separate firmware paths. That seems strange.

tbski100

Premium Subscriber
Is there a programming software upgrade as well?

I have version two in my radio- but dont see it when going into the programming menus.

baycomm

Yes there is a programming software update. MDC or FleetSync is only selectable in the radio model selection screen. You can choose one or the other. KPG-111D will then show the appropriate programming items.

Status
Not open for further replies.