• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MDC and 2 tone call alert

Status
Not open for further replies.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
This just came in as a request from our FD, we have APX8000 radios that presently have 2 tone call alert for page out, but now they want alphanumeric MDC encode on the same channel. After doing some reading I don't think it's possible. I was going to try and create a mini scan list that scanned the 2 channels one with MDC the other with call alert. The problem with that is there already is a scan list associated with the call alert channel. Maybe make the call alert channel priority channel one might do it. Any comments.

BARNEYR

Depending on which channel it stops on will determine if you get MDC or Call alert. I hate that you can't have both.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Conventional personality can be either MDC or Quik-Call II, not both simultaneously.

There is little point in creating a scan list with the same channel scanned twice, as you've got a 50/50 chance of landing on one signaling type or the other, and Murphy's Law dictates that the radio will never land on the one you want at the time you want it.

Do they not carry pagers? That is the solution for the QCII decoding. If they insist on having it in the radio, then they'll need to understand that there are going to be two channels in the radio...one for alerting, and one for operating with MDC. Scanning is not the solution, as it's not recommended to scan for QCII as the chance of missing a page is not insignificant, depending on what else is being scanned.

If they don't have a pager, their best bet is to sit on the QCII enabled channel without scanning so they won't miss an alert. They can switch to the MDC enabled channel if alerting is not critical.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Yea I know I told them to buy more pagers, but as usual we are broke again. Well for the most part the radio will stay on the main channel, I can add the pager channel as a priority one channel, but with TX depending on channel select knob. Also make the QC channel RX only so they can't transmit on it.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Well for the most part the radio will stay on the main channel, I can add the pager channel as a priority one channel, but with TX depending on channel select knob.
So when they're on the "main channel" i.e. the one with MDC, you're going to have them scan with the QCII channel set as Pri1? In other words, whenever someone keys up with MDC the radio is going to prioritize the QCII channel and they won't see the MDC ID/alias decoded on their radio? Not sure that makes a whole lot of sense.

AK4FD

Catawba County, NC — FF/EMT, COML, AUXC, Skywarn
Premium Subscriber
Well then you can set the signaling in the Personality for RX to be QCII and the TX to be MDC-1200, in that aspect it will do "both" but as far as receiving MDC-1200 & QCII Tones simultaneously no it won't, has to be either/or. If I'm understanding correctly that's what you want to achieve.

Status
Not open for further replies.