• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MDC Decode on Unication G1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JChabalie

Just got 15 new Unication G1 pagers that I will be programming over the next couple of days. From what I am reading, I believe these will also decode MDC? Does anyone know how many aliases you can program into them?

KM4WLV

Looking at the G1 PPS under Tab E (MDC Contact Book Setting) you can have up to 50 MDC contact listings. Apologies for the crappy pic but I couldn't get my laptop to do a screen grab so I took the pic with my phone. Hope this is the info you're looking for.
cf814ff3d5e38493d6bb3751b20273b0.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

JChabalie

Perfect! Thank you very much. I think I'll finally have time to mess with it tonight or tomorrow. Thank you for the help!

KM4WLV

Perfect! Thank you very much. I think I'll finally have time to mess with it tonight or tomorrow. Thank you for the help!

Absolutely. I've been doing programming for a long time and there was a bit of a learning curve with the G1 PPS, just simply because of all the bells and whistles. If you run into anything or have any questions I'd be happy to try to help. I've played with all the different options / features / programming options and would be happy to help walk you through other stuff. I'll be on a little bit longer if you have any other questions right off the top of your head. Just post them below. Glad I could help!!

JChabalie

Thank you very much. I've been programming Motorola portables, mobiles, and pagers for years, but we decided to get some of these to try out. We have a couple so far and the guys that have them seem to like them. I'm a little hesitant to leave my Minitor VI, but I'm willing to give it a chance!

KM4WLV

Thank you very much. I've been programming Motorola portables, mobiles, and pagers for years, but we decided to get some of these to try out. We have a couple so far and the guys that have them seem to like them. I'm a little hesitant to leave my Minitor VI, but I'm willing to give it a chance!

I've been a die hard fan of the Minitor series pagers. Well, mainly the Minitor II, but I've had a personally owned 5 for the last almost 10 years and it's never failed me. I got the G1 I have now as part of a deal on some used equipment. I like having the display and the number of channels offered. I think my favorite feature of all is the Voice Prompt / Channel Announcement feature. I finally got the voice tags made and uploaded to it today. The sensitivity and audio is great on it as well.

Did you see my thread in this forum where I modified my Minitor 5 nylon holster for use with my G1? Since posting it today I've already had 5 requests to do them for others.

JChabalie

Will do. One more question, how can you change what the voice announcements say? For example, when when I put it on "open channel" it announces "normal scan", but it isn't scanning anything.

KM4WLV

Will do. One more question, how can you change what the voice announcements say? For example, when when I put it on "open channel" it announces "normal scan", but it isn't scanning anything.

When you have the PPS open on the left hand side of the window you'll see "Muisc Alert/Voice Prompt Programming". Click on that and you'll see two separate sections. One for uploading music/sound tones, and one for loading voice prompts. Load each into their respective sections and then write them to the pager. After you upload them to the pager then go back up to the tab that says "Program Pager with Read Pager Codeplug Data" otherwise the tones/voice prompts won't show up as available. ( I just reread what you posted and realized you were asking about the factory voice prompts lol. It's been a long day)

Once you get those loaded then go to Tab H: Receiving Portfolio Setting and in the bottom window, "Function Switch List" (Channel listing), and double click each knob position/channel and you'll see the option called Voice Prompt Index and that's where you'll see the available/uploaded voice prompts. Or you can use the factory supplied prompts. They are labeled and you can hit the play button next to the field to hear them.

For some reason I can't get the pics to upload in this post so look at the next post down

Last edited:

phirephoto

Premium Subscriber
Looking at the G1 PPS under Tab E (MDC Contact Book Setting) you can have up to 50 MDC contact listings. Apologies for the crappy pic but I couldn't get my laptop to do a screen grab so I took the pic with my phone. Hope this is the info you're looking for.
cf814ff3d5e38493d6bb3751b20273b0.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Greenshot :-D

JChabalie

Ok. I figured out how to change the voice prompt. I uploaded one that I made, but it won't blame over the pager and I can't seem to find it in the drop down on the channel setting.

KM4WLV

Ok. I figured out how to change the voice prompt. I uploaded one that I made, but it won't blame over the pager and I can't seem to find it in the drop down on the channel setting.

If you'd like I can send you a copy of the codeplug for my G1 to look over, or if you want to send yours to me I'd be happy to take a look at it.

***Follow these steps when adding custom tones & voice prompts:

1) After putting the pager in the cradle you need to click on the Music Alert / Voice Prompt Programming tab.

2) Then in the respective categories add your custom tones and voice prompts, and next click the "Write Pager" button at the bottom.

3) After you get the message that the programming was successful then click the "Program Pager with Read Pager Codeplug Data"

4) After the pager has been read then click on Tab H: Receiving Portfolio Setting (Provided you've set up the channels on whatever knob positions you want)

5) Double click on whatever channel/knob position you'd like to add the voice file to.

6) When that window opens in the top section with the green header bar labeled "Knob Function Setting" at the very bottom you'll see the "Voice Prompt Index" field. As long as the voice file was successfully wrote to the pager this is where it will show up. Remember, this field is only for the voice prompt, not for custom tones when the pager alerts. This is basically like the channel announcement feature in Motorola radios, which I'm sure you know but I wanted to say that just in case,

7) Click the down arrow in that box and as long as the voice prompt was written successfully you'll be able to select it. After selecting it if you click the "Play Pager" button it will play that prompt through the pagers speaker as long as it's still in the programming cradle.

Follow those same steps for other channels as needed. Let me know if this clears things up or helps. And again, if you're still having issues I'd be happy to take a look at your codeplug. Also, make sure your pager is running the most current firmware which is: RVV0114EN .

JChabalie

Thank you. That helped so much. Is there a way to adjust the time for the voice announcement? I got them loaded in, but it cuts off the end of a few of the recordings.

JChabalie

Disregard. I found that it didn't work in the preview in the software, but it works on the pager itself.

KM4WLV

Thank you. That helped so much. Is there a way to adjust the time for the voice announcement? I got them loaded in, but it cuts off the end of a few of the recordings.

No problem, glad to help. Is there anything else you need help with or have you been able to set up everything that you wanted?

JChabalie

I think I'm good for now. Of course it has been quiet, so I haven't gotten to see how well it works lol. So far I like them a lot. Thank you so much for all of your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.