• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XPR MDC Documentation

Status
Not open for further replies.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
I tend to learn by doing, and since I saw a video about MDC usage that I never thought of, and I had a handful of radios sitting on my desk that are MDC1200 capable, I figured I'd give it a shot and do some experimenting.

Beyond the basic contact/ID of the transmission, and DOS, I noticed a new menu item, status, and the text message menu allows for sending of quick texts. The issue I have is it is just Status 1 thru Status 16 and Message 1 thru Message 16, however, I cannot find where to identify what those status or messages are in CPS16. The radios will all it to attempt to send the message or status, but it isn't decoded, and the transmitting radio just keeps retrying until it fails.

Can someone explain what there are for, and where I can change the standard messages/status?

Also, is there a manual on what MDC can do and it's programming? Motorola doesn't seem to have anything in the training, and the radio user manuals are very brief.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
I still haven't found much more documentation on MDC1200, however, I did find a brochure for an Icom radio that describes MDC on that radio. Reading between the lines, Status and Messages are sent to a dispatch console only, and cannot be sent or decoded by another radio in the field. The aren't programmable, and are just Status 1, etc. treated like 10 codes. Is that correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.