• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

mdc1200 configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

rochele1

hi

i activated the mdc option on my radio gm300 , the question i have is that what is the best configuration of mdc1200 format ? , because now when i push the button of mic a long beep will come then i can speak

is this possible experts help me ?

the other question i have :

if someone prepare an application for encoding mdc and gestar for sale , motorola and kenwood will sue that person ?

rochele1

Moderator edit: This post is a response to a question asking about amateur radio use of MDC1200.

because i live outside of US ,
because i have taxi company

Last edited by a moderator:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
hi

i activated the mdc option on my radio gm300 , the question i have is that what is the best configuration of mdc1200 format ?

The best configuration depends on exactly what you are trying to do with it. Your need will dictate how to set it up.

, because now when i push the button of mic a long beep will come then i can speak

That's called sidetone and it's intended to keep you from talking while the radio is sending out the MDC message. You can move the MDC to "post" transmission, which means it'll stick it on the end of your transmission, rather than the beginning.

is this possible experts help me ?

I'm not an expert, but I've set it up on a few systems. If you can let me know exactly what you are doing with the MDC, someone here can give you some pointers on exactly how to set it up.

the other question i have :

if someone prepare an application for encoding mdc and gestar for sale , motorola and kenwood will sue that person ?

I don't think so. The patent that Motorola held on MDC has expired, and other manufacturers are using it now. There is a guy, somewhere on here, that made an iPhone app that will read MDC tones.

rochele1

The best configuration depends on exactly what you are trying to do with it. Your need will dictate how to set it up.

That's called sidetone and it's intended to keep you from talking while the radio is sending out the MDC message. You can move the MDC to "post" transmission, which means it'll stick it on the end of your transmission, rather than the beginning.

I'm not an expert, but I've set it up on a few systems. If you can let me know exactly what you are doing with the MDC, someone here can give you some pointers on exactly how to set it up.

I don't think so. The patent that Motorola held on MDC has expired, and other manufacturers are using it now. There is a guy, somewhere on here, that made an iPhone app that will read MDC tones.

I really appreciate of your extended reply ,

really i have a taxi company , before we had a technical guy but he left and now i have to resolve all the problems , recently i have purchased some gm300 extended/16 ch , and i programmed 2 of them , i don't want to tell you the history of my problems but i could regulate the mdc1200 , but the problem now two of my taxi drivers have is that they say it takes too long from the time they push the buttom and the time they want to talk .

in my house i programmed one of them for myself and i tried different forms , post/pre/both ,after that i tought so there should be a way to do this faster , because i really don't know but the drivers are saying gstar is faster (delay time is less)

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
OK, so just a point of order here:
You posted in the amateur radio forum, so that is why the other commenter worded his reply the way he did, I think.

A legality issue:
I don't know which country you are located in. Rules regarding this stuff vary. Here in the USA GM300's are no longer legal to use on most business frequencies. If you are outside the USA, you are probably OK.

Post MDC would be likely better for you since it would keep the MDC transmission at the end. That would prevent the drivers from having to wait. Also, make sure things like long preamble are turned off, unless you really need it.
MDC bursts should be pretty short. We use it at the beginning of transmissions on one of the VHF systems and our 800MHz back up system, and we don't have an issue with it. Turning off the sidetone might give the drivers the perception of things working faster. Also, if you are using PL tones, you can set up the MDC personality to not use the PL tone. It'll still transmit, but without the PL tone the other drivers won't hear it.

As for the speed of Gstar and MDC, I've never used the Gstar, so I can't comment. Maybe someone else can help.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Never mind, I see you are outside the USA, so likely the GM300 is perfectly legal. Good solid radios, I use some old ones for amateur radio use.

Basically if you take a look at your overall radio set up and try to keep things simple, it can prevent a lot of issues. The delay your drivers talk of might be the MDC, but could be other settings. Sometimes a good thing to do is to back out all the options and just set the RX and TX frequencies and necessary PL tones. Try the radio out and make sure it works the way you want. When it does, add the options, like MDC, one at a time and test. MDC bursts are pretty short, and keeping things like preamble out of the set up can help. Putting the MDC burst at the end of the transmission can help. Turning off sidetone results in most users not even being aware it's in use. I have side tone turned off on all our radios and other than seeing the ID on the display, the other users don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.