• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

mdc1200 ptt chirp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nated978

I have a Motorola GP380 and i'm on the encoder sequence i want my radio to make that distinct chirp that you hear with the mdc1200 i love that chirp but I cant seem to get it right any help would be great

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Are you talking about the actual MDC burst you want to transmit or the chirping sound on the receive end when the dos muting is set?

If you want to have MDC burst on PTT or on release PTT you have to set up MDC signalling then apply that to the channels you need it on. Should be a selection in each conventional personality to apply signalling.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Are you talking about the actual MDC burst you want to transmit or the chirping sound on the receive end when the dos muting is set?

If you want to have MDC burst on PTT or on release PTT you have to set up MDC signalling then apply that to the channels you need it on. Should be a selection in each conventional personality to apply signalling.

badcop452

it was my understanding that u have to have a radio that is north american... the GP series is the european version... i know this because i purchased a GP340 and also a GP360 off of eBay and motorola radio support.co.uk told me that they were not capable of mdc signalling... unless u know something i dont... :)

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
I like having the MDC burst at the beginning of my conversation, mainly it makes me wait until it finishes (about .75 seconds) so when I start talking I am ensured to be connected to the repeater and people don't miss what I'm saying. If you get real creative, you have the MDC broadcast your unit ID (I am "505" and that is what appears on the console or other radio's capable of decoding).

K8TEK

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I have a Motorola GP380 and i'm on the encoder sequence i want my radio to make that distinct chirp that you hear with the mdc1200 i love that chirp but I cant seem to get it right any help would be great
It would help if your radio was capable of MDC.

securitymikey

If that radio doesn't do MDC then you can get an after market board to install in the unit. I don't remember off hand but they are available on the internet. Do a search for it and they should have one to fit your unit. We had them installed in some SP50 units at a place I used to work and they did the job. You could also just get an HT1000. It is simalar in operation you know two knobs,PTT,monitor and scan buttons,etc. They are fair priced on places like ebay and do MDC1200 as a standard feature along with DTMF and GE STAR signaling. Also with the narrow band rules coming up in 2013 check to see if your present unit is compliant. Most HT1000 radios are although most say try and get a "DN" model which is the last and latest version I think. I have some HT1000s (A through D models) and I am happy with them. Tough radio and easy to refurb and repair to a degree too. Something to think about. Just my 2 cents...

Last edited:

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
I think he might be talking about the trunked network or astro chirp. I think I can speak for Moto fans in that we all would love to have the chirp sound on the radio. Unfortunately for me, I only posess jedi radios that are uhf and vhf. From my understanding the only thing that those radios can do is continuously beep when the ptt is pressed until all mdc packet data is sent like b7spectra was talking about. But dont the Motorola Astro radios have the ability to make that chirp even when not on a trunked network? I saw something in the forums about this. There was also a youtube video where I guy had an Xts5000 and it was chirping like that.

securitymikey

I thought I seen something like that as well for the XTS. I have both the XTS2500 and HT1000. I did manage to get the HT1000 to do the 800 chirp on the TX. You hear it on your end when the PTT is pushed. You set the DTMF to keyup and set it to 24ms if I remember correctly. I used 111 as the DTMF ID numbers. It sounds just like the 800 system radios when they TX. Pretty cool. I still can use my MDC on dekey which works out fine for me. Never did get it for the XTS though. I have that set up for pre ID.

immelmen

I dont understand the facination with this myself, but here is the deal with the triple-chirp talk permit tone, at least as far as astro/astro25 is concerned...dont know about any other platforms.

First, you cannot get it on any Astro platform without the radio getting a channel grant on a trunking system...period.

Second, the video on youtube was faked...the person who posted it admitted on the batboard to dubbing the talk permit tone into the video for dramatic affect(he was trying to sell the radios on ebay).

However, there is a way to get Astro25 radios(such as the xts5000) to use the 3-chirp TPT without being on a trunking system. It requires the radio to be used through a digital vehicle repeater system or a Quantar repeater that it is tricked into thinking is a DVRS.

securitymikey

You know now that you mention it thats where I seen it too. The guy was selling radios on ebay. Well that explains why nobody could do it with the XTS then.

Status
Not open for further replies.