MDOT Law Enforcement Regions & Districts

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioJonD

Exalted Nabob
At the hairdresser's, past the liquor store.
A continuation of this closed thread...

Once again, I find myself confused (as if that isn't preputial).

Since the Mississippi Highway Patrol determined that citizens and travelers are not to be trusted to know of roadway hazards as they occur and/or be extra eyes for criminal activity or reckless drivers, we must rely on secondary methods. Fire and rescue frequencies are good, but a bit too busy with non motoring traffic calls. Thus, they are in a secondary scanner bank.

In an effort to gain knowledge of real time traveling conditions, I am retooling scanner travel banks. The less to monitor, the better. Yes, I know all the mapping apps and agency social media sites provide what passes for real time information over the world wide mess. To thwart that, most states now say a driver can't look, handle, or otherwise relate to a mobile device while a vehicle is in motion without the threat of a ticket. (Anyone see a revenue generating conspiracy in all this?; just joking...let's stay focused.) Also, all the in dash gee whiz technology is not currently available in my vehicles. I have a tablet and phone apps running but not the ability to consult them or make sure they are connected to the www on a regular basis.

Perhaps listening to MDOT Commercial Motor Vehicle Enforcement might fill a void? Which brings me to the aforementioned thread.

"Statewide" is obvious. But, specifically, geographically speaking, on a Mississippi State Map, where are these?...

Region 1
Region 2
Region 3

I'm assuming that being only three, regions are North, Central & South, numbering north to south. Easy enough, program them all for statewide traveling.

Now, where things fuzz up on me. (We all know how painful that can be.)

District B
District G
District H
District M
District N
District T
District Y

I'm not interested in what other MS state agency(ies) these equate to. Where does MDOT LE say they are? Someone tagged them as such in RR, someone must know. Unless the information was arbitrarily copied from state sources. If so, where online, or otherwise, are these sources? Inquiring mind(s) want to know.

Of course, MDOT's easily determined district maintenance channels will be included in a primary bank along with some MS EMA channels.

slhbeard

Premium Subscriber
Actually the best group to listen to for road conditions is MDOT Maintenance. You can find the breakdown on a MSWIN map as to districts. These guys are the ones that will close or detour roads that have travel problems. Each district has their own dispatch. Also as to the previous post, MDOT Law Enforcement has a central dispatch that is in Jackson. The different regions are Tac channels.

u2brent

OAMPT
There are individual district maps available.. goMDOT
I don't see any districts with letters though, just numbers 1-7.. FWIW
This is the statewide map..
Info from an older thread may shed some light..

RadioJonD

Exalted Nabob
Actually the best group to listen to for road conditions is MDOT Maintenance. You can find the breakdown on a MSWIN map as to districts. These guys are the ones that will close or detour roads that have travel problems. Each district has their own dispatch. Also as to the previous post, MDOT Law Enforcement has a central dispatch that is in Jackson. The different regions are Tac channels.

Yep! Those are in the primary bank.

Does MDOT still use the low bands? I'm assuming not and don't have them programmed.

Don't have MHP low band programmed either although the database page says that they are used as backups while all the frequency assignments have been deleted.

There are individual district maps available.. goMDOT
I don't see any districts with letters though, just numbers 1-7.. FWIW
This is the statewide map..
Info from an older thread may shed some light..

If only the Enforcement Section was so easy to decipher!

slhbeard

Premium Subscriber
They no longer use the low bands. The maintenance group does not use letters. MHP no longer uses low band and are fully encrypted on MSWIN.

RadioJonD

Exalted Nabob
These are the maps and resources I have found to be helpful when sorting regions/zones/districts of various Mississippi state agencies listed in the RR database.

MHP - although a moot point.

MEMA

MDOT - (non law enforcement) and this one kindly shared by u2brent.

MSWIN Special Events Regions & Zones - Page 19 (last) of document.

MSDH (Health)

Links to these in the appropriate database listings would be helpful for all!

Other notes:

MDOT is the only state agency with geographically different boundaries.

MEMA & MSDH use the same numbering system, although MSDH is in Roman numerals.

Seems like MSWIN, MHP & MEMA would use the same numbering system given this age of Interoperability. "We've always done it this way" logic I suppose.

There is an additional database listing for Med-Com - Mississippi Med-Com Center Talkgroups. Med-Com has talkgroup listings for Regions 1 through 9. This begs the question, MSWIN Regions, MEMA Regions or another numbering system? I assume the first although I probably won't program these.

Thanks for all the help!

slhbeard

Premium Subscriber
I do not nor have I ever been able to find the breakdown for MEDCOM Regions. I live in West Central Mississippi and listen to Wide Area Medical and hear all medical groups there with no problems.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
MDOT LE M is South Central/South West MS. Back before MSWIN, I used to monitor them on VHF High and the M Mary units were always calling in from the weigh stations in Pike County, Adams County etc... Then they switched to porta scales and I started hearing them calling in from all over the Southwest/South Central area. My dad used to be MDOT from way back in the MSHD days through the early MDOT days. I used to go visit him at the print shop, and we had friends in the Geo-Sciences lab across the parking lot, and in the LE division. The one regret I have is never having nabbed a copy of the LE district maps. Also, can't recall what the Rail Enforcement Division callsigns are. But they are Statewide in ops.

flametamer

These are the maps and resources I have found to be helpful when sorting regions/zones/districts of various Mississippi state agencies listed in the RR database.
MHP - although a moot point. MEMA MDOT - (non law enforcement) and this one kindly shared by u2brent.
MSWIN Special Events Regions & Zones - Page 19 (last) of document. MSDH (Health)
Other notes:
MDOT is the only state agency with geographically different boundaries.
MEMA & MSDH use the same numbering system, although MSDH is in Roman numerals.
Seems like MSWIN, MHP & MEMA would use the same numbering system given this age of Interoperability. "We've always done it this way" logic I suppose.
There is an additional database listing for Med-Com - Mississippi Med-Com Center Talkgroups. Med-Com has talkgroup listings for Regions 1 through 9. This begs the question, MSWIN Regions, MEMA Regions or another numbering system? I assume the first although I probably won't program these.
Thanks for all the help!

MS Dept. of Health restructured a few years ago.(At least as far as their Emergency Response Districts) This is a more current map, but may not be completely up to date. Med-Com goes by the MSWIN regions/zones.

Dt

INDY72

MSWIN region/Zones are in the trinity theme. Three with three in each. Three Zones, the actual system zones. Three Regions per Zone. So still 9 but arranged a little different from the original 9 district/division that everyone used to have. Then you have MHP, MFC, MDWF&P who as far as I can tell still use the same splits as always. Still regret not getting that MDOT LE map.... Lol.

RadioJonD

Exalted Nabob
Mississippi Forestry Commission

MFC was reorganized in late 2017 or early 2018.

The Columbus & Starkville Dispatch Newspaper published this article with a map of the former seven districts alongside a map of current four regions. MFC's webpage has this map showing Area boundaries within the Regions.

Unknown how this effected communications. I'm thinking one Comm Center statewide with little or no change in talkgroups.

Does MFC & MS F&W still use any radio systems other than MSWIN?

Last edited:

INDY72

F&W and MFC have an couple of VHF high SOW for backup but mainly its MSWIN. F&W fully removed all the satellite radio system. MEMA still has satellite radios at HQ for national interop, but with the ISSI links to every P25 system online in the area that's only going to be to hit up FEMA in a SHTF event until assets are moved into closer ranges.

Hammerguy69

F&W and MFC have an couple of VHF high SOW for backup but mainly its MSWIN. F&W fully removed all the satellite radio system. MEMA still has satellite radios at HQ for national interop, but with the ISSI links to every P25 system online in the area that's only going to be to hit up FEMA in a SHTF event until assets are moved into closer ranges.

MSWIN has no ISSI connected to it. All links are RF in nature.

TheRadioGuru

MSWIN does not utilize ISSI at all... The GulfWIN project is setup with MotoBRIDGE units that are not on 24/7, they only allow for 5 talkgroups of the GulfWIN project to be patched at a time. MotoBRIDGE is not ISSI standard and really act more like a "console patch" than anything else. One part of the GulfWIN project uses ISSI and that is the TxWARN system that is connected via ISSI to Louisiana.

Hammerguy69

MSWIN does not utilize ISSI at all... The GulfWIN project is setup with MotoBRIDGE units that are not on 24/7, they only allow for 5 talkgroups of the GulfWIN project to be patched at a time. MotoBRIDGE is not ISSI standard and really act more like a "console patch" than anything else. One part of the GulfWIN project uses ISSI and that is the TxWARN system that is connected via ISSI to Louisiana.

Thank you sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.