Meaning: Nose is cold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Can someone advise meaning of Mil Air pilots saying "nose is cold".

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for link and reply.

nyair1

Thanks for link and reply.
Fighters and Bombers will also say Switches Safe along with Noses Cold so the refueler knows that weapons are in safe mode.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

rr60

Premium Subscriber
I have not spent much if anytime on MIL AIR. Been scanning for longer than I care to say and professional pilot too.

Another question if I may. Odd that I hear CAP A\C on UHF Aero AM talking to each other AND also addressing Huntress on a freq.. The chat w Huntress is mostly time on and off station, fuel status and bingo times.

But I never hear Huntress on that freq. Almost like it is out of range but that is unlikely.

In this case could Huntress also be a ground station or perhaps they are operating duplex?

pilotman6012

HUNTRESS is a ground station, NORAD Eastern Air defense Sector,responsible for controlling aircraft in all over the eastern seaboard.At times E-3 Sentry will also chat with Huntress for radio checks.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Thanks! Very good,always learning. Now I will do a Google search. Rather later then never lol

jim202

I will make a wild a$$ guess and say the the meaning of "Noses Cold" is to indicate that their nose radar in the aircraft looking for fuel is shut down so as to not cause problems for the tanker and it's crew.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
So then curious anyone know the likely most common answer to the following.

When a VIP or Presidential TFR is set up in a major metropolitan area how are the CAP patrols put on a target or SU (suspect) target?

The reason I ask is I have been carefully listening and I have heard no intercepts although the WX has been more IFR than VFR.

I have found the Victor Discreet with ATC as well and am hearing both CAP and ATC

Does an AWACS support these ops typically or is ATC such as ZNY calling the SU's obtained from their radars.

Interesting. Learning.

D

DaveNF2G

I don't believe ATC is involved in any way with the CAP, except to be aware of the TFR and route aircraft so as not to violate it. Detection and interception is handled by military assets.

Another term you might hear is MARSA, which means Military Accepts Responsibility for Separation of Aircraft, and is used when a group of military aircraft are flying together on a common route or operation.

freqhopping

When a VIP or Presidential TFR is set up in a major metropolitan area how are the CAP patrols put on a target or SU (suspect) target?

The reason I ask is I have been carefully listening and I have heard no intercepts although the WX has been more IFR than VFR.

I have found the Victor Discreet with ATC as well and am hearing both CAP and ATC

Does an AWACS support these ops typically or is ATC such as ZNY calling the SU's obtained from their radars.

Interesting. Learning.

Huntress/NORAD is observing the radar for the area and looking for any aircraft that might be off a filed plan or VFR a/c heading toward the restricted area, especially if they're not in radio contact with ATC. Sometimes they'll pick a random a/c to make sure the fighters are tracking it on their radars as well.

Sometimes an intercept will be begin only to get cancelled once NORAD knows ATC is in contact with it or they properly identify that it's not a threat.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to all.

I ran three days of audio and listened to it all at once. It is a different language and they are all business. The speed at which they speak it faster than any New Yorker I have met.... anyway....

Seem as if the suspects are referred to by range and bearing to Bullseye.

Heard about a dozen Suspects but never did hear an intercept being coordinated. I had much spectrum covered too.

The furthest A\C I heard RTB after running a CAP was going to KSUX. That is a haul going West. I was surprised.

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber

Interesting. Learning.

CAP aircraft are routinely used for intercept practice by local fighter outfits by deliberately violating a TFR to test response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

KB7MIB

CAP aircraft are routinely used for intercept practice by local fighter outfits by deliberately violating a TFR to test response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think in this case, CAP is referring to "Combat Air Patrols", where USAF and/or USAF Reserve fighters patrol over special events, or wherever the POTUS/VPOTUS may be, and not "Civil Air Patrol", the USAF auxiliary.

John
Peoria, AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.