Meaning of 3 alarm fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

SFD_RS1_N_RS2

Premium Subscriber
Can someone break down what you get for each alarm for example fire alarm a and b, calls for both an engine and medic vs a medic only. Both sets of info for Columbus oh is screwed up so here is what I have from Fire Apparatus Journal in the Sept/Oct 2010 issue then I will go to the 2012 issue and finally to the 2014 issue but I need someone to update and answer some questions for me after
Engines 1, 2, 9, 12, 23, 24, 25, and 26 are 2008 model Spartan Gladiator Classic, 1500gpm pump, 750 gal water tank with a Ferrara body
Engines 6, 10, 13, 17, 20, 21, 22 29, and 30 are 2009 models with same chassis, body, tank, pump. ISU19 is a 2009 Spartan Gladiator Classic w/Ferrara body

In 2011 issue the following was put in service:
Engines 1*, 2*, 6**, 8, 9*, 10**, 12*, 13**, 17**, 20**, 21**, 22**, 24*, 25*, 26*, 29**, & 30** 2011 model Spartan Gladiator Classic chassis w/1500gpm pump, 750 gal tank and Ferrara body were delivered along with
Engines 4, 7, 14, 18, 19, 32, & 34 Sutphen Monarch 1500gpm pump, 750 gal wtr tanks w/Sutphen bodies were delivered along with 3 Sutphen SPH100 Tower Ladders at 2, 26, & 32
In 2011 a total of at least 14 new Medic Units were delivered by Horton to Medics 4, 6, 11, 12, 14, 15, 17, 22, & 23.
In 2013 5 Heavy Rescues were delivered built on Sutphen Monarch 24" RR chassis w/SVI bodies for Rescues 2, 4, 11, 16, & 17
3 TDA's were delivered by Pierce for Ladders 12, 13, & 15 with 3 2001 ALF Eagles going to Spare WHERE??
14 New Medic Units were also delivered as well and are at Medics 2, 8, 10, 13, 16, 18, 19, 20, & 21, 24, 26, 27, 29, 31, and 32
ES-2, SO-1, SO-2, & all BN and EMS Cars have 2012-2014 model year Ford Interceptor SUV's,
Medical Support 19 and Rescue Support 5 have 2013 International 7600 chassis with Farber Specialty Vehicles dual axle bodies for weight
In 2014 Sutphen delivered 2 Engines and 1 of 2 SPH100 Tower Ladders to Engines 16 and 31 replacing 2 2005 model year Sutphen, and Ladder 10 replacing a 2001 Sutphen Ambassador SP-100 Tower Ladder, awaiting delivery of Ladder 23 replacing another 2001 Sutphen
Need following
What are Investigators 11-17, 36, & 37 are driving?
What's HM4 replacement going to be?
Prev. 18 still driving 2001 Ford Crown Vic?
Current Spare (X) Rescues 2, 4, and 16 2005 Spartan Gladiator Evolution chassis w/Rosenbauer Non W/I bodies, and the other 2 E-One Typhoons from model year 03?
XBN1-XBN7 are 2010 Ford Explorers?
14 2008 Intl. 4300/Hortons operate as backup units with 2004 models assigned to Special Events?
What are the Chief of Dept, Assistant Chiefs Car Designations?
Location of, apparatus yr., make, and model of all spare and recall engines, ladders, and Heavy Rescues, along with Fleet Maintenance, etc?
Year, make, model etc of the 4 engines, 2 ladders, etc at training grounds?
Have the Foam Units at 5 and 34 been replaced with more modern day vehicles like Engines 16 and 31?
*=2008 model replaced in 2011
**=2009 model replaced in 2011
Would someone from CDF with accurate knowledge help me please thanks?

Confused and trying to learn in Jacksonville FL

mule1075

Feed Provider
It all depends as alarm assignments every city is different.It seems you know about what has been delivered apparatus wise so you have a great start. And going by the years you have listed some things fiscal wise could very well have changed. Again you have a good idea keep at it.

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk

Last edited:

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
This is not official, just what I know from many years of listening:

First Alarm, dispatched to any report of a fire - 3Es, 2Ls, 1R, 1M, and 1 BC. If it is declared a "working fire" a working fire assignment is dispatched, another 2 Es, 1L, an EMS supervisor, and SO2 (safety officer). Also a standard response for alarms involving high-rise calls, large residential buildings, hospitals, and nursing homes. A "High-Rise" call is any building over 5 stories, or any structure with limited ladder truck access, which could be a 2 story structure. Additional alarms are declared as more equipment and/or manpower is needed to gain control of the fire.

Second Alarm - 3Es, 2Ls, 1R, 1 M, 1BC, ES2 (Assistant Chief on duty for the whole city), ISU19 (Incident Support Unit, mobile air compressor and electric generator).

A Second Alarm or a "Standy-by Second" may be called by first arriving units bypassing the working fire call, or if the dispatcher receives multiple calls or reports from police or citizens of a large fire, they may declare a "Standy-by Second" prior to any units arriving at the scene, alerting 2nd alarm companies to be ready to roll.

Each additional alarm would bring the 3Es, 2Ls, and maybe another chief. Additional equipment may be dispatched as requested. If units respond from an outlying area as mutual aid their BC will respond with their equipment.

On all working fires a RIT (Rapid Intervention Team) will be assigned by the BC. This is an engine and/or a ladder which will standby "specifically" to rescue any members in trouble.

Fire Alarm "A" is a response to a "fire alarm", such as a smoke detector, sprinkler water flow, etc. It is a full "A" response, same as a First Alarm.

Fire Alarm "B" response is 2Es, 1L, and a BC. This is used for alarms where they may have had a lot of false alarms in the past.

Fire Alarm Storm - used during thunder storms where a lot of fire alarms are received - usually just 1 engine.

Some EMS calls get a first responder which is an engine dispatched with the medic. This may be due to the medic's distance from the call, delaying response (Every engine has a medic on board) so this gets medical aid there quickly. Serious EMS runs like heart attacks, etc may get an engine too for manpower.

In extreme cold weather a 4th engine will be dispatched on 1st alarms for manpower.

Download the "2013 Annual Report" form the Columbus Fire website it has a lot of information about apparatus assignments.

Last edited:

EDCScanner

Banned for duplicate accounts
Banned
W8RMH is fairly accurate and is good information. Like Mule1075 stated, every city is different but, what W8RMH posts is a good general guideline. Another thing that plays into it is the time of year, available resources in the city or resources a city has in general, coverage and so on. The city I am in sends full response on any reported structure fire. Full response here consists of 2 engines, 2 ladder trucks, one ambulance, EMS officer (Usually used for manpower) and Fire Chief or Battalion Chief depending on the city. Depending on size up, incoming units could disregard or continue or reduce. That would be considered a one alarm because it is the initial dispatch. If additional manpower is requested due to many other factors wether it be for man power, additional RIT, defense to protect structures and so on. Then a second alarm will be toned out or mutual aid requested ether for city coverage or for agency assist. This will continue on depending on those factors and others including the severity of the call and where they are responding. During the summer you will tend to see more alarms for rehab and RIT. At least around here that is the case.

EDCScanner

Banned for duplicate accounts
Banned
I believe the OP was just using Ohio as an example and was looking for a general explanation for the meaning of a 3 alarm based on his post and where he is his located. In which case would be relevant information as generally all agencies regardless of location use the same general guideline based on national protocol. The only thing that varies is what I previously posted and it will generally vary from location as was mentioned as well by me and one other. I provided that general information regarding the different variables which wasn't included by you to better assist him in finding the answers he is looking for and used my location simply as an example only. This is coming first hand, not from information based of what I hear on a scanner. You provided very good information as I stated. I just added the different variables in which could come into play for the determination of those tones.

n5ims

Generally there's a limit to how many alarms a single fire can reach, often 5 or 6. Once you reach a certain number you simply have too many people and too much equipment to effectively manage. That said, they can have multiple teams working on the same basic incident but divide the teams up into separate areas of responsibility, most often with a single chief over all of them.

One example of this may be a large apartment complex that's completely involved with multiple buildings. One team would take one group of buildings and another take a different group.

ecps92

Some major areas use a 10 Alarm running Card for Mutual Aid

After the 5th Alarm or 10th Alarm they use the term "General Alarm", altho a note of Regional Caution - there are some areas where "General Alarm" is used with other meanings.

http://www.massmetrofire.org/depts.html [Boston Area Mutual Aid - aka Metro Fire]
Clicking on each City/Town will bring up info on each town, as well as a copy of a Typical Running Card for Mutual Aid in XLS (Excel)
The Average for an Additional Alarm is 2 Engines/Pumpers and 1 Truck (Ladder, Platform, Tower, Snorkle)

Generally there's a limit to how many alarms a single fire can reach, often 5 or 6. Once you reach a certain number you simply have too many people and too much equipment to effectively manage. That said, they can have multiple teams working on the same basic incident but divide the teams up into separate areas of responsibility, most often with a single chief over all of them.

One example of this may be a large apartment complex that's completely involved with multiple buildings. One team would take one group of buildings and another take a different group.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.