Meaning of "TAC" channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I disagree, there is one. It comes with food & lodging, but doesn't pay well. It does include clothing, if that helps.

Sent using Tapatalk
Yeah, but..... No, it doesn't help. I think I'll pass. Knowing what I know, I might be pretty good at it. And, although I'm probably holding up better than many, I'm 75 and they won't let me take my RV or my SDS100, but, gee whiz, thanks for keeping me informed. :)

hitechRadio

Outsider? I spent over 3 decades in law enforcement. I'm certified to train National Incident Command and have been a part of Homeland Security since 2004. I'm a certified law enforcement instructor, a certified fire instructor and a certified arson investigator. Even though retired, I still manage a 40' mobile command vehicle with almost more radios than I can count There are radios specifically programmed with NIFOG frequencies but no body uses them. I drove that bus to Pearl River County, MS, after Katrina. We spent over a week there and managed 6 other agencies and no one had NIFOG frequencies. That bus has been to a lot of train wrecks, tornadoes, hazmat situations, etc., and no one except us has ever had NIFOG frequencies. Even so, everything worked fine. The only time I've ever seen NIFOG frequencies used is during training exercises.

The key word here is "interoperability." Within our jurisdiction, we don't use NIFOG frequencies because we don't need them and we can label the talk groups on our own radio system anything we like.

I may be a lot of things but "outsider" isn't one of them.
Yes Outsider,,Just like you called me an outsider,,remember??!!

I wont give you my street cred!!! But.. I will say I have been doing this just as long as you probably longer. And specialize specifically in communications. Not really sure how being cert in fire, arson,,etc,etc.. qualifies you as an expert but, I degress. I have been involved in several multi state, county, city disasters! And if it was not for the agencies coming in to help having the NIFOG frequencies programmed it would have been a mess.

There is absolutely NO reason everyone should not have the those one or all of V/U/7/800 IO's (radio dependent) programmed in all radios. LAZY radio people sounds like!!!

Part of interop is also understanding the terms, How you CHOOSE to train your people is on you, it is better to train by set standards and terms.
Simply by this statement
Within our jurisdiction, we don't use NIFOG frequencies because we don't need them.
Tells me that you are not fully prepared!!!

Look,,,, all I simply pointed out is how it should be done using the 8TAC91D= Direct Tactical as an example.
Then you said quote
An admonition from an outsider.
Not really sure how you came to that conclusion! When it is you not following NATIONAL INTEROPERABILTY FIELD OPERATIONS GUIDE.

Last edited:

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I'm not going to get in a spitting contest. Both of us are entitled to our opinions. I'm stepping aside.

Incidentally, we have a P25 Phase II.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
All SAFE-T, MSWIN, AWIN, LWIN, TACN radios have the Nationwide 700 MHz, and 800 MHz Conventional Interops in a zone, as well as local Local, Zone, and Regional Interop TGs for the systems in them. Same for the radios used in the IDPS family of systems. The conventionals may only get used for chit chat, or when they take a site or section of sites down to make changes, but they are in there. And from what I see, its standard for most public safety radio codeplugs. And luckily at least for the areas I deal with, they actually do train everyone on how to find them. May need to remind folks when they have to use them which zone etc to go to, but thats normal when your not having to use them on a daily basis.

Last edited by a moderator:

RRR

Premium Subscriber
One reason I hear the "Interop" channels aren't being loaded is, there are so many of them, and there isn't any formal training on the local level on them.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
Does any of this affect the Radio Reference Database? Does the Radio Reference Database (RRDB) affect any of this?

Do the Fire-Tac and Fire-Talk etc tags get downloaded and displayed in any scanners? Does it make any difference to the scanner users?

In the big cities with trunked systems maybe 99.99% of traffic travels via repeaters. The average scanner user may never come across any simplex comms in 10 years. Maybe one day they will hear some traffic that is full of static and just dismiss it as a fluke. And never hear it again for 10 years. So is it really necessary for the RRDB to hold this info? There is a trade off there - having all the simplex / onscene channels versus the possibility of the scanner spewing forth with static.

Maybe the RRDB should have special groupings of low power / onscene / simplex channels.

In regards to the interops channels, the typical scanner user is not going to want to hear a bunch of static from interops / NIFOG channels with no PL. And during a mega disaster, perhaps 90% of the interop channel usage will be done without PL. So having these channels in the database with PL 156.7 will be nice and quiet - but maybe essentially useless.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Do the Fire-Tac and Fire-Talk etc tags get downloaded and displayed in any scanners?
Yes.

Maybe the RRDB should have special groupings of low power / onscene / simplex channels
The RRDB is just fine as-is; no "special groupings" required.

Some of you are seriously overthinking this. :rolleyes:

hitechRadio

I would at least put these in, when one of these go active it can be very interesting.
For 700 IO's I would only put in the General Public Safety channels. they are P25 digital and use a nac of $293.
7CALL50~7TAC56 and 7CALL70~7TAC76,
and also the 8CALL90~8TAC94 PL of 156.7

Also the V and U IO's

Last edited:
D

DaveNF2G

RR had a policy against including "tactical" channels in audio streams (and possibly in the DB) in the past. If this policy is still on the books, then perhaps it needs to be reexamined in light of this thread.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
The BCFy policy is for LE tacs. And I really see no need for change. The only thing LE that is supposed to be streamed is DISPATCH. Fire tacs aka firegrounds are fine. Where is review needed?

wtp

there was a small town in new jersey years ago that had sent in their cars to have the radio upgraded.
when they got them back and checked out the radio they had a new channel.
they used to to talk between themselves for some time.
it was funny to hear what they thought was a new and unpublished channel.
a lot of small talk,,and joking went on.
it should have been labeled as SPEN 2
but everyone will know it as nationwide law ...155.475
for scanner people it is probably the most programmed frequency.
good thing they thought their talks were private...
so i would say local people call things differently, it might be the right name or something they made up.
as long as they know what their other guy means.
like the DWI, DUI, OUI. or what ever your local cops call it.

hitechRadio

it should have been labeled as SPEN 2
but everyone will know it as nationwide law ...155.475
for scanner people it is probably the most programmed frequency.

Which, Around here (we follow NIFOG naming) 155.475 is VLAW31

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.