Mecklenburg County and P25 Phase 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundman

You need a sds100 if you live in Charlotte .I had a bcd436 I loved that scanner but the simlcasting was really bad . I lived 5 min from the tower it was great . Then I moved 10 min from the tower it was really really bad . I had to move all around the house to find the sweet spot .Then I lose the call. .I finally said screw it and spent the money and got the sds100 from amazon I can try it for 30 days if I don't like it I will send it back . It fix all my problems . I can hear all the call now .It worth every penny .

Shinobi1

Not sure what thread to place this, but I'm curious how, if possible, I can narrow my scans to conversations within a smaller radius of my house, like a mile or so. Is that possible? I'm not really interested in conversations many miles away that don't concern my neighborhood directly. Thanks. (and just link me to a better thread if necessary)

trumpetman

Database Admin
Not sure what thread to place this, but I'm curious how, if possible, I can narrow my scans to conversations within a smaller radius of my house, like a mile or so. Is that possible? I'm not really interested in conversations many miles away that don't concern my neighborhood directly. Thanks. (and just link me to a better thread if necessary)

What are you trying to narrow down? Police traffic, EMS/Fire traffic, or something else? You're not going to get a lot of granularity but narrowing down who you're listening to might offer some insight on what to program.

Soundman

If you have a scanner like a home patrol bcd436hp bcd536hp sds100 or sds200 you can go to range and make it 0 and it will make the close stuff come in .

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I'm curious how, if possible, I can narrow my scans to conversations within a smaller radius of my house, like a mile or so. Is that possible? I'm not really interested in conversations many miles away that don't concern my neighborhood directly.

While you may be able to limit it to the police district you are in, that will still include an area bigger than a mile or so, fire and EMS isn't usually broken down the same way and it might not be possible. Your only solution might be what @Soundman suggested, but it won't work if the area covered by what you are listening to is larger than a mile or so. For example, in my city there are several police districts, where I live is actually overlapped by two districts (downtown and Southeast) the area covered is a good 15-20 square miles.

Shinobi1

I forgot to say I have a Uniden BCD325P2. I have police, fire and ems programmed in. There's a specific street close to me (close enough that I can see the vehicles) that seems to have a lot of first responder traffic, and I'm always curious what's going on over there. What made me ask the question is that I turned on my scanner but it didn't pick up anything from the close street, just random stuff from around town when I put it on "scan".

Soundman

Have you program your scanner . The only scanner that has range is the home patrol bcd436hp bcd536hp sds100 and 200 . I had to sell most of my scanners because of the simulcasting in Charlotte so now I have the sds100 and the 200 now I can hear the police fire and ems with no problems now. Thy are worth every penny .

firemun

Feed Provider
I have been using 996p2 and 325p2 scanners for Charlotte UASI since those model scanners came out and never had any issues with simulcast. I am also a Uniden dealer have sold dozens of many of the models and very few folks have the simulcast issues. The 325P2 is a fine scanner. If you have issues with 325p2, limiting your site choices, using a 50ohm dummy load "stub" antenna can often fix the issue.

kg4pbd

If you have issues with 325p2, limiting your site choices, using a 50ohm dummy load "stub" antenna can often fix the issue.

You can limit site choices but that doesn't do anything about the simulcast issue with multiple towers on a single site, as is the case here. I must be one of the very few, because simulcast distortion is severe through the Ballantyne-Providence Road area of south charlotte. The only radio I have that works well on the UASI system without a yagi attached is a G5. I imagine the SDS scanners work well too but I haven't tried those.

hamstang

Premium Subscriber
I have been using 996p2 and 325p2 scanners for Charlotte UASI since those model scanners came out and never had any issues with simulcast. I am also a Uniden dealer have sold dozens of many of the models and very few folks have the simulcast issues. The 325P2 is a fine scanner. If you have issues with 325p2, limiting your site choices, using a 50ohm dummy load "stub" antenna can often fix the issue.
I would question if you have used the 996 and 325 scanner In Charlotte, or just Concord area? I have lived in south Charlotte and now northwest Charlotte and I experienced poor reception of Charlotte UASI until acquiring an SDS200. I was amazed how much radio traffic I was missing in Charlotte using a 996XT. An outdoor yagi helped some, but my SDS200 works great with the stock antenna. My 996XT is working great for monitoring VIPER.

firemun

Feed Provider
I would question if you have used the 996 and 325 scanner In Charlotte, or just Concord area? I have lived in south Charlotte and now northwest Charlotte and I experienced poor reception of Charlotte UASI until acquiring an SDS200. I was amazed how much radio traffic I was missing in Charlotte using a 996XT. An outdoor yagi helped some, but my SDS200 works great with the stock antenna. My 996XT is working great for monitoring VIPER.
I frequently drive all over the city, south, north east and west. My 996p2 in my truck with NMO/800 1/4 wave works great. I frequently carry the 325P2 around when I am out in center city and south end with no issues.I guess I am fortunate.

firemun

Feed Provider
You can limit site choices but that doesn't do anything about the simulcast issue with multiple towers on a single site, as is the case here. I must be one of the very few, because simulcast distortion is severe through the Ballantyne-Providence Road area of south charlotte. The only radio I have that works well on the UASI system without a yagi attached is a G5. I imagine the SDS scanners work well too but I haven't tried those.
I frequently have my G5 running in the truck when I am out and about and I rarely see any difference...it strange.

Soundman

I have had problem in Huntersville and Davidson for a long time . I went through 5 antennas till I got a yagi and It works great now I have it in my game room. I have it hook to my sds200 and my bcd536hp.I own 9 scanner . Most of them are analog .I have sold my bcd436hp because of the simulcasting .I sold my bc996xlt because of the same problem . I got the sds100 . I am happy everyday I got the sds100 .I hear every thing agin :)
It may not be bad where you live but it was very bad where I lived . I was about to give it .Thank God Paul came out with a great scanner before he died . He was a Great man .

Last edited:

firemun

Feed Provider
like retail? as in with a store front? just curious cause i can't think of anywhere that carries scanners in the area, but wouldn't mind knowing :)
I don’t have a store front, it’s mostly word of mouth via fire/ems/police. You can pm me anytime.

Soundman

The new tower is up and running in Davidson . The reception will be stronger and much clear now . That Good News .

flyboy4545

Does anyone know what is going on with charlotte uasi system. I use an xts5000 and uniden 536 to listen. Now I cant pick up anything. And the database shows the same id's and not encrypted.

hamstang

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know what is going on with charlotte uasi system. I use an xts5000 and uniden 536 to listen. Now I cant pick up anything. And the database shows the same id's and not encrypted.
No issues receiving UASI this morning in North Charlotte

Status
Not open for further replies.