mecklenburg county

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
yankeesdood16 said:
The city police department has a regular frequency so the sheriff's department should too.

Nope...Mecklenburg Sheriff is located on the Charlotte Trunked System only....rmquinn3419 posted the correct info above as it is listed in the database...I would suggest reading the owners manual a few more times with an emphasis on how to enter trunked radio systems...
Marshall KE4ZNR

Edit to add link:
http://support.radioshack.com/support_electronics/doc57/57987.htm
The above link will lead you through adding trunked systems to your scanner...

Also Edit: Dangit Scott! You are too quick for my old butt!! :D Good info though!

Last edited:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
yankeesdood16 said:
Can I just use the frequencies and not put in the talk groups, would I still be able to listen to stuff? The talk group stuff is too confusing.

Without the talkgroups you are not going to be able to hear Meck S.O.
Think of the talkgroups as "channels" and if you don't program the right channels
you will not hear what you want to listen to....read the Wiki at the top of the page as it will help you understand trunking :)
Marshall KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
yankeesdood16 said:
By the way it says in the manual that my scanner is preset to scan type II system IDs.

No problem...Charlotte is a type II system...
PLEASE read over the Wiki so that you can truely understand the ins and outs of trunked systems....Charlotte uses the easiest type of trunked system out there...you just have to be willing to put in the effort of learning details of programming trunked systems....just be lucky you are not dealing with a Type 1 system as you would have had to learn about custom fleet maps and all....Charlotte is a piece of cake...
Marshall KE4ZNR

yankeesdood16

Yea but the scanner won't let me do what I'm supposed to do to program the talk groups. I'll just wait until I get down there and see what happens.

KG4KHQ

Premium Subscriber
I may be wrong about this, but I seem to recall that when I had a Pro-94, one had to be receiving a signal off of a control channel in order for it to allow you to program the talkgroups. It's no problem when you are just putting in local systems, but to program it for a trip, I had to "fool" it by putting in a local CC while programming the frequencies so it would let me do the talkgroups and then going back to lock out the local frequency before going on the trip. It was fine for my first trunking scanner but I would not trade my 396 with ARC396 for anything now...or at least until something new comes along

yankeesdood16

I noticed that theres tons of stuff to listen to down here in mecklenburg county. I can't fit all the frequencies I want to in the scanner but its pretty cool. Last night I was listening to the scanner and there was a shooting, I have it on now too.

yankeesdood16

I just thought that I would say that the scanner worked really good down in charlotte. There was a ton of stuff going on. I'm back home listening to the stuff here, I've been home since thursday evening.

khvfdff

Yeah I was in Charlotte in 2003-2004 sometime in the summer of one of those two years for the race and i had just the county fire department, city fire and medic. Those channels were so busy that it wasnt even funny. To me with all that it is actually worse than listening to Jacksonville Fire Rescue here in Florida.

kg4pbd

You just have to be selective in what you listen you.

For example, I typically keep the PD dispatch/conference/tac for whatever division I'm in on, rather than trying to listen to multiple divisions at the same time.

Or, if I'm at work I'll keep Independence division turned on (where I work) along with South division (where I live). For fire I keep only the dispatch talkgroup on. If there is something I want to follow I can toggle on the appropriate talkgroup for fireground ops.

And lastly, I keep mutual aid and emergency bridge on.

That's about the limits of my ability to follow what's going on.

yankeesdood16

At my uncles and cousins where I was are in the south division for the PD, I had most of the divisions programmed though. I also had some EMS and fire stuff programmed too.

Status
Not open for further replies.