MED Channel issues / AACo or more widespread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
There was a post in the FIRST sticky about AACo units using 8TACs to consult hospitals. This is the first time I heard of this happening, but AACo has used the 8TACs when they had a system meltdown several months ago. I'm wondering if there is a connectivity problem with MIEMSS, or maybe a capacity problem with the system in general? Or a hardware issue? Is it just certain hospitals? This might be something to watch.

Last edited:

baydog

This may or may not be relevant, but I seem to remember that not too long ago AACo asked FIRST for some talk groups that AACo could use when the AACo. system crashed or was having problems, I never heard if this was approved or not.

Just based on casual listening, it seems to me that AACo units have more problems communicating with BWMC than AAMC especially when a third party like the STC or Hopkins is patched in.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
This may or may not be relevant, but I seem to remember that not too long ago AACo asked FIRST for some talk groups that AACo could use when the AACo. system crashed or was having problems, I never heard if this was approved or not.

Just based on casual listening, it seems to me that AACo units have more problems communicating with BWMC than AAMC especially when a third party like the STC or Hopkins is patched in.
AACo was approved as a modified Interoperability user back in the fall, at the same time requesting a number of TGs to use as a backup to their TRS. AFAIK, no TGs have been assigned, nor have they been programmed into subscribers as of yet. As the new system gets closer, I would expect another mass subscriber reprogramming effort prior to transitioning to the new system. I don't think all new subscribers have been installed / distributed; my neighbor doesn't have a new radio in his vehicle.

I was assuming that the MED connectivity issues *may* be with certain facilities; using a portable to connect to a system (8TAC) that was designed for mobile on-street coverage is not ideal. I guess a BDA installed in a hospital would help somewhat.

MIEMSS is in the beginnings of rebuilding its backhaul - not sure if that effort has begun, or what stage it is at.

firebal

Premium Subscriber
AACo was approved as a modified Interoperability user back in the fall, at the same time requesting a number of TGs to use as a backup to their TRS. AFAIK, no TGs have been assigned, nor have they been programmed into subscribers as of yet. As the new system gets closer, I would expect another mass subscriber reprogramming effort prior to transitioning to the new system. I don't think all new subscribers have been installed / distributed; my neighbor doesn't have a new radio in his vehicle.

I was assuming that the MED connectivity issues *may* be with certain facilities; using a portable to connect to a system (8TAC) that was designed for mobile on-street coverage is not ideal. I guess a BDA installed in a hospital would help somewhat.

MIEMSS is in the beginnings of rebuilding its backhaul - not sure if that effort has begun, or what stage it is at.
Hmm wonder if that will help fix some the transmissions from hospitals. I notice a lot on BC and BCo TRS that they can come in really hard to understand and often the med units ask for them to repeat.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
I don't think all new subscribers have been installed / distributed; my neighbor doesn't have a new radio in his vehicle.
From what I hear, Fire has fully switched over to their new radios. I believe most if not all, Police have new portables. DPW still has their old radios. Annapolis Services (DPW, Harbor, etc.) have started to get new radios. There also a ton of old radios on Park side too.

I am positive that the new radios don't have the new system/talkgroups in and will all need to be reprogrammed.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I just checked the EMRC TG logs for AACo. The haven't been using MED 4 or MED 8 on the county's 800 system since 4/18. Last time they used the Call TG was yesterday at 7AM. Very strange.

Also just checked the 7R3 Call TG; not particularly heavy use off the AACo site.

Last edited:

maus92

Premium Subscriber
MED4 via AACo 800 A79 to AAMC was readable just a few minutes ago.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Today I heard Medic 18 perfectly on AACo 800 EMRC Call, MIEMSS however claimed they were unreadable. The hospital seemed to hear them OK on 800 MED 4, as did I.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.