Med Helicopter Missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

TinEar

Medical flight missing in the DC area.

[[Everything below is edits as info becomes available]]

MedEvac helicopter crashes. (BK117 type helo if I heard right)

Now wreckage being reported sighted in the river near the Wilson Bridge.

Report from Park Police HQ was that a medical flight dropped a patient off at Washington Hospital Center and then went missing on a planned return to Stafford.

Park Police Eagle flight which was already in the air involved in the search for a suspect in a stolen car bailout headed for the scene. He's reporting two other med helos are already overhead the wreckage.

The crash site is being worked on the Fairfax net. Trooper 2 is going in to pick up injured apparently. He needs to work with Fairfax for the landing zone but can't communicate with them.

Just learned Eagle 2 from the Park Police is going to do the communications. And now he's apparently going to be involved in the pickup in some way or fashion.

They are talking about closing the "Parkway" but didn't identify which parkway. They say it's right at the edge of Alexandria.

They've made some other arrangements so Eagle2 is not needed for comms. He's diverting for another mission.

DC has divers in the water looking for bodies/survivors. PG County is also involved with their fireboats and other units. Coast Guard has boats in the area searching - and it looks like several entities have watercraft conducting search operations.

PG comms are on their fire channel 4 and are patching some info on channel 8.

Fairfax Command is communicating with PG Command for the incident on PG's channel 8. Coasts Guard is sending up illumination flares. PG is offering a barge with lighting to light up the area.

Now most of the command units are being patched onto PG's channel 8. Coast Guard is on Marine 16

We have a PG Command, Fairfax Command, Bellhaven Command, DC Command all on PG channel 8. Fairfax activity is on their channel 4L which is being partially patched onto PG 8 also as needed.

Fairfax Command is reporting a second victim has been found and being brought to Jones Point. They did not give condition of victims - dead or alive.

PG Fireboat 201 reports he has the second victim and maybe will have a third shortly. Reports are that one victim is tangled in the wreckage in the water and they are working on extracting him.

At 12:59 a.m. they announce all victims have been recovered. No conditions have been given but it sounds grave - especially now at 1:05 when they announce all victims will be held at Jones Point. Water search has been called off.

At 1:20 a.m. they realize they have double counted someone and have NOT recovered the third victim. They are reorganizing the search boats and associated units to restart the search. They also already have a private contractor at the scene to raise the wreckage when the search is completed. They suspect third victim is under the helo's remains. They are now treating the whole area as a crime scene and so no contractors (the barge with the crane) allowed in until later.

And with that I'll end this long winded post.

PG Fire channel 8 is 494.8875 mHz - Morse callsign broadcast on this freq was KUX236.

Every news unit in the area is at the scene so the rest of the story will be on the nightly (or morning) news.

JamesO

Tin Ear,

I heard an original dispatch from US Park PD around 11:15 p.m. or so. Then I heard a bit later Fairfax dispatch for mutual aid on the incident. I also heard the chase involving US Park just prior to the incident. Although I wanted to keep up with the activity, I was way too tired to follow incident.

Anything on the Potomac is a real mess to deal with. It usually can involve DC, MD (Mont or PG) and VA (Fairfax, Arlington, Alexandria), US Park and sometimes Coast Guard . The water actually belongs to either MD or DC depending on where the incident is located.

When these events happen, mutilple scanners are really required. It is amazing how well the agencies do coordinate these events. I caught the fatal accident on the GW Parkway near the Beltway a few weeks ago. Fairfax, Montgomery, VA State and US Park were all involved. US Park flew out some injuries, then the Channel 4 & 5 news helo's showed up. 3 choppers in the air less than a mile from my house at 5:45 am, it was nice to know what was going on!! I also had the news chopper freqs going so it was a real circus. I could hear the activity in the air, listen to it on the scanner and turn the TV on to see the live pictures. Even the wife was interested as she was upset with all the noise in the air cutting her beauty sleep short!

I keep US Park 162.925 MHz up most of the time on my PRO-2004, this is where I originally heard the start of the both last nights helo incident and the GW Parkway fatality a few weeks ago.

Thanks for the break down of the incident.

JamesO

TinEar

Yes, James, it was the chase on Park Police that got me there too. That was a wild and wooly one with a few beat up police cars by the time they were done.

You're sure right about the multiple scanners. I had five going at the time but almost everything of value came from the Prince George's Fire channel 8 which was a broadcast (or rebroadcast) of the command net.

One thing should be changed in my above late night reporting - one of the commands should be spelled "Belle Haven" which I guess is the name of a harbor around that area.

Latest I've heard is two of the three crew members were killed with one very fortunate survivor.

baybum

I listened to alot of that as well, before I realized how late it was and how early I had to get up.
I was perplexed when I heard DC (I think) had a fireboat enroute late in the incident that had no radio comms. I believe Fairfax told them they could go in service but their dispatch had no way to communicate to the boat. Huh?

Not even a Nextel?

Pro92

Helicopter missing!

I heard on the news this morning they belive the found the missing Med-Helicopter . Unknown if any one okay.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
The helo was based out of Stafford County, VA and operated by Life-Evac, a division of Rocky Mountain Helicopters in Colorado. No patient was on board at the time of the incident. Media reports one crew member survived with serious injuires, one was dead at the scene, and the other is missing and presumed dead. :(

TinEar

Glad you heard that part too Mike. I thought I was hearing things when they mentioned the boat had no comms. That was right when they learned they had double counted one poor soul and were still missing the third crewman. I think it was Fairfax Command that told DC where to send the boat and was told in return that it was flying blind - so to speak.

freqhopping

The pilot is a family friend. He was a really great guy. He was always there to help people in need and a great asset to my mother's company, helping at a moment's notice when someone couldn't/didn't show up for work.

He loved the job, especially the EMS (earn money sleeping) part.

:cry:

WesFFXFire

It seems like most of the Rescue/Recovery work was done by Alexandria Boat 201 (not PG) and Fairfax Boat 420. The victims were brought to the Va shoreline for transport. As far as I know PG has no real fireboats although the river is in MD. (IF I was'nt offf on S/L "d been on duty in Fairfax PSCC so I do not have all the facts) But it seems like there was NO communications betweeen Va & MD early on, as even with an eye-witness no one could locate a crash. I tought it was a false call eaarly on. I think FX PD ended up doing the flyout. With Alex and Fairfax having brand new Fireboats, DC needs to start staying out of the way and north of the airport. And PG kep calling Fairfax BT420 "Coast Guard Bt420". So obviously no one knew who was on the scene. This was a relativly small incident, imagine if a large plane went down !!!!!! It would be chaos to say the least.

TinEar

Wes, thanks for the ID on those boats. Now that you have, I understand how I managed to transfer ownership of the boats from Alexandria to PG. Each time PG would call the boats, he would begin his transmission with ""PG Boat 201" and then ask the question. He really meant "(This is) PG (calling) Boat 201." Guess I'll have to call the PG Chief now and tell him to return the boats. <g>

ResQguy

Meh
I was just returning for a medical local when I started listening halfway thru. DC Fireboat-1 was on scene for quite a while during this incident, and I must have missed the point where there was a communication issue. Everything sounded ok on TG 4C from where I was. Maybe Fireboat-2 or 3 entered the mix after I went back to bunk, they utilize handheld radios for FD comms.
TinEar- it was an EC-135 aircraft...
And what the heck kind of antenna do you have? I live in Glen Burnie as well and can't hear half the stuff you listed from home!

TinEar

EC-135?? Isn't that an Air Force tanker aircraft...maybe I'm thinking KC-135? Or is the EC-135 an electronics platform?

Nothing special for an antenna ResQguy. All I use is the whip that came with the radio. I do have an outside antenna for 800 mHz but I didn't use it that night because it's lousy for anything other than 800 and this activity was all over the bands. I'm just in a fortunately situated hot spot for reception. Lots of times all I have to do is move or turn the radio a little bit or tilt the antenna an inch or two to go from noise to an almost perfect signal.

Llwellyn

KC-135 is the tanker. EC-135 sounds like a civilian designator, I don't think they use 135's for anything except KC's. I miss my CAP manuals. They had a clear chart of what all the designators meant. E would be electronics, but the only aircraft currently in service are EC-130's... a 135 is awfully big for AWACS or surveillance. Not saying it's not possible, but 135's are 707's (or is it 737's).

TinEar

It's based on the 707. There used to be an EC-135 in the Air Force - the most famous I guess was the Looking Glass aircraft.

I just did a quick google and found there is a Eurocopter model EC135.

TinEar

That BK117 that I originally reported in my late night stream was provided by one of the commanders at the scene. That's a valid designator also for a Kawasaki helicopter as I later found out. I guess he was just wrong but I don't think anyone was overly concerned with that info at the time considering the task at hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.