MEDEVAC callsigns and logistics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChuckWillis55

That can't hurt, however, when the Air Ambulance is flying at 3000 to 3500 ASL, I'm not sure they talk to the Centre. Since the MOH helicopter channel is a repeater, and every CACC has access, listening to both frequencies is also a good idea.

ATCTech

Cleveland has no radio equipment in Canada and doesn't provide VFR flight following over Canadian soil that I'm aware of other than Buffalo terminal airspace and Detroit terminal airspace. The only frequencies I have handy are ZOB low level RCAGS but IIRC that's for 10,500' and above only. Below that I'm pretty certain that's all uncontrolled VFR airspace along the north shore until the Detroit Terminal area as the international boundary and the IFR boundary is not at all the same.

I wouldn't put a ton of faith in hearing Life Flight movements on those 2 Toronto frequencies, although they may monitor them once out of the Toronto Terminal (30NM) circle. The logic in my post was because when the west specialty ATC sectors were realigned a number of years ago the London 135.300 and Waterloo 128.275 frequencies went from our "London" and "Kitchener" IFR sectors to the Toronto Terminal (Airports) specialty, effectively giving the very low level airspace from London all the way to Peterborough to the Airports specialty with frequencies at London, Waterloo, Hamilton, Toronto (2) and Peterborough. (The St. Catharines-based frequency is used by an IFR sector.) These days because of limited traffic it's not unusual for that entire stretch to be covered by one controller and all of the frequencies to be cross-coupled together.

Last edited:

ATCTech

"Life Flight 3 MEDEVAC" (C-GYNG) London to Buttonville initial call to Toronto ATC at the 30NM TCU boundary south of Guelph, nothing heard prior to that on 135.300 or 128.275. I've been watching/listening since they were still in the London Tower control zone.

ATCTech

Watching YNG (again operating as LF-2 MEDEVAC) heading to Hanover from YTZ. He's just passing the Toronto Terminal boundary northwest of the village of Caledon at 3000' but advised ATC they may need to change to IFR due to low cloud. ATC advising them to stay on the current VFR frequency and advise intentions which is what I would expect.

IFR clearance requested.

Now cleared to 5000' on IFR clearance for the RNAV approach into Hanover. Handed off to IFR sector to frequency based at Wiarton. No radar coverage that low but in contact with ATC none the less.

Sort of justifies my thoughts that they would likely monitor en route area ATC frequencies where available even when VFR "just in case", especially in busy corridors.

1620650648570.png

ATCTech

Anybody hear C-GYNF today to know if this was a "Life Fliight" run? According to FR24 it did a Toronto-Buffalo-Coatesville PA-Williamsport NY-Toronto run today. That's the first time I've seen one cross the border, let alone go all the way to essentially the Philidelphia area. It just landed YTZ from YYZ a moment ago.

1620944343029.png

Status
Not open for further replies.