Medflight/setting up new scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveh552

I just bought a radio shack pro 433 scanner, they partially programed it, not very good i must say.

I went through the ohio section, specifically licking county. I would like to add med-flight and anything else that maybe interesting. This scanner has everything i can think of except for digital, so no MARCS. Anyways, anyone give me anything interesting to program, and tell me how to set up talk groups and such, or if they are needed.

New to scanning, not new to radio, iv used my 2m radios as scanners for ages.

FPO703

You won't be able to monitor MedFlight since they are on Ohio MARCS. Without a digital scanner, you're SOL.

FPO703

Nope. They have been on Ohio MARCS for a while. If you get a digital scanner, you can pick them up along with the rest of the users on MARCS.

steveh552

I had a hard time spending 150 on this scanner (I have 2 VHF 2m radios that picks up pretty much everything local), I was sold by the "kid" at radio shack that said Id hear it all except OSP. I cant just cant justify 500 or more for a scanner, LOL.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
steveh552 said:
I thought they were on EDACS with AEP, guess i should have bought a cheaper scanner since the only thing here trunked is heath

AEP is a backup system for Medflight now, all primary operations are on MARCS.

And to further brighten your day, Heath is in the process of replacing their old analog Motorola Smartnet system with a P25 digital trunked system from EFJohnson. With a local P25 system they *could* make it a countywide system, add a zone controller and tie into MARCS that way (and I'm sure that possibility crossed their minds), but it would really be less expensive to just dump the local system and go with MARCS. That way your only expenditure is for the radios, and the monthly $20/radio fee, which is still a lot less expensive than a full-blown P25 system and a zone controller. However, it doesn't seem like anybody else over there is too interested in getting away from conventional analog, and in fact everybody is jumping over to VHF high band conventional.

But then, maybe Heath is just having delusions of grandeur...

Last edited:

SLWilson

Return It !

steveh552 said:
I had a hard time spending 150 on this scanner (I have 2 VHF 2m radios that picks up pretty much everything local), I was sold by the "kid" at radio shack that said Id hear it all except OSP. I cant just cant justify 500 or more for a scanner, LOL.

If the "kid" gave you false info (i.e. everything but OSP) I'd take it back for a REFUND!!!!

Steve/KB8FAR :(

steveh552

I like the radio, Med-Flight is not a make it break it, I can monitor them when communcating with fire ground, just was hoping to hear more. I could never figure out why Heath did what they did. I am prob going to program this with some Columbus stuff and try to find away to install it and my 2m into my Grand Cherokee so I can monitor while mobile. It was clearance so non-refundable.

traumacop

Premium Subscriber
wa8pyr said:
AEP is a backup system for Medflight now, all primary operations are on MARCS.

And to further brighten your day, Heath is in the process of replacing their old analog Motorola Smartnet system with a P25 digital trunked system from EFJohnson. With a local P25 system they *could* make it a countywide system, add a zone controller and tie into MARCS that way (and I'm sure that possibility crossed their minds), but it would really be less expensive to just dump the local system and go with MARCS. That way your only expenditure is for the radios, and the monthly $20/radio fee, which is still a lot less expensive than a full-blown P25 system and a zone controller. However, it doesn't seem like anybody else over there is too interested in getting away from conventional analog, and in fact everybody is jumping over to VHF high band conventional.

But then, maybe Heath is just having delusions of grandeur...

I'm just happy to get off of LB. There is little coordination in the county with respect to communications. With more than 10 independent VHF conventional fire repeaters and the county finally adding 4 it is a mess. We probably could have gotten some kind of "SYSTEM" but like I said, at least we are getting off of 33.86.

Baby steps........:D

steveh552

Ended up taking the scanner back. After having it a couple days, I found I was able to hear the same stuff, minus the very minimal amount of Heath on my 2m radios. Maybe when the digital comes down in price I may reconsider getting a scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.