Medford armed robbery/police chase

Status
Not open for further replies.

wnjl

Did anyone happen to be monitoring any of this today? It started around 10 AM - guy stole $500 from Medford News & Tobacco on Stokes Rd. Started heading west into Evesham and eventually Cherry Hill, and the Cherry Hill PD chased him all the way back east onto the 206/Atsion Rd. area in Shamong. All the activity was on NJSP 3-comm afterwards with the troopers following him down Quaker Bridge Rd. (a dirt road) through the pines into Washington Twp. After about a half hour he finally bailed the vehicle before he reached CR-563 in Washington on Pine Swamp Rd. Canines found him and they had him under.

The freakiest thing though was when they were transporting him back (which they seemed to be having a difficult time doing due to the area they were in deep in the pines), a troop called in that the suspect, handcuffed, actually somehow gained control of whatever police vehicle they were transporting in him (the troop said it was a "County Police" vehichle) and started driving it. It sounded like the car crashed thereafter and they apprehended him again and sent him to the hospital with injuries. This was one of the crazier things I've heard monitoring. None of the articles I've seen online have referenced the eventual crash so far... Police capture suspect after chase through two SJ counties

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Don't you just love how the media leaves out all the good stuff !

Another good thing learned was the effective range of the Cherry Hill Edacs system. Once they reached Goshen pond camp ground on Atsion road they had to switch to SPEN 1 which worked very well for them. They were able to talk all the way back to Cherry Hill on simplex no problem. If the troopers would have switched to SPEN there wouldn't have been as much confusion between agencies. Throw in Burlington county on their system and Hammonton on their system, this was a classic example of an interoperability train wreck. It was fun to listen too none the less.

BTW the bad guy lives right across the lake from me. He has had drug problems for many years and multiple run ins with the law. This one should send him away for a while I suppose.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
No partition cage? I never understood that with agencies who don't use. May be cheaper but you always see them in news of the unit being stolen by the suspect.

Septa3371CSX1

No partition cage? I never understood that with agencies who don't use. May be cheaper but you always see them in news of the unit being stolen by the suspect.

Sometimes they probably just throw the suspect(s) in the nearest car for detainment until a better transport vehicle is available. Other times they just underestimate suspects (that's my guess so don't rake me over the coals for it). Around here I'll often here various units whether it be SEPTA, Philly, Upper Darby, or just about anyone who doesn't have a car capable of transport ask for a unit that can transport to come over to their location. Other times a suspect will become aggressive to the point where a wagon is requested.

N2ICV

Premium Subscriber
Don't you just love how the media leaves out all the good stuff !

Another good thing learned was the effective range of the Cherry Hill Edacs system. Once they reached Goshen pond camp ground on Atsion road they had to switch to SPEN 1 which worked very well for them. They were able to talk all the way back to Cherry Hill on simplex no problem. If the troopers would have switched to SPEN there wouldn't have been as much confusion between agencies. Throw in Burlington county on their system and Hammonton on their system, this was a classic example of an interoperability train wreck. It was fun to listen too none the less.

BTW the bad guy lives right across the lake from me. He has had drug problems for many years and multiple run ins with the law. This one should send him away for a while I suppose.

Thats why everyone is going to 700Mhz , for interoperability . They say??

Status
Not open for further replies.