Media and their use of scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeyC

Well the incident is over, and all I see are comments from people about what should or should not be done. Where is the wrongdoing? or was this info given in a prior report that is no longer available to see??

rfburns

In the article which is linked, what specifically (reported radio traffic) posed a threat or problem to the SWAT team?

dougbaker

There were several ongoing reports during the day. Nothing specific was reveled other than the location, but my observation is just the use of scanner radio traffic reported without verification and the general policy of reporting SWAT activity while ongoing.

I could not do the same here because we have a policy to prevent it, for the safety of officers involved. The media should do the same.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
But the assignment desks compete big time with each other and often at least in the major metro areas the first to reports pays and the others are left sleeping.

It's a cut throat business and many over the years have offered me large sums (five figures) to "tip" them first before I send a page to all the other subscribers and I've always explained that is not the way Mountain NewsNet operates.

Remember also most depts including FCPD and LSCO have the ability to encrypt SWAT operations and if they elect not too then like they say "In God we Trust All Others we Monitor"

Jim<

Last edited:

JoeyC

Line 2 in the article: "SWAT officers staged in front of a green, two-story home and made no effort to hide their presence."

It is not in bad form for the media to report that SWAT officers are on scene at a specific address during a newsworthy event. This practice happens everywhere.

Announcing that tear gas will be deployed through the back window of the residence would be off limits to report. Huge difference.

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
Sometimes, this is the price we pay for the 1st Amendment. I'd rather have the 1st Amendment than not have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.