Medical Dispatch heard on FRS ch 14 in S.E. MI. tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC8HNQ

Strangest thing. I was receiving medical dispatch transmissions on FRS Channel 14 tonight, here in south east Michigan. Tones and all. At first I though I had misnamed a channel on my programmable radio but then I verified it with my bubble pack FRS/GMRS radio.

FRS ch14 (467.7125) is NOT a channel that is shared with GMRS so it can't be a grandfathered business license for a private ambulance co.

Local "kid" playing with a home built repeater circuit, retransmitting scanner traffic on FRS? It would be easy enough to do with a couple of audio jacks, some wire and turning on the VOX function on a bubble pack radio.

Private ambulance company that picked up some Chinese radios and is running illegally? Who would run dispatch on a frequency that is limited to 1/2 watt?

Private ambulance company that has a defective radio that is also transmitting on a harmonic of it's assigned frequency? Although the audio seemed awfully clear for that.

Here is a shore video clip https://youtu.be/cO5N8pv8_cQ

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Strangest thing. I was receiving medical dispatch transmissions on FRS Channel 14 tonight, here in south east Michigan. Tones and all. At first I though I had misnamed a channel on my programmable radio but then I verified it with my bubble pack FRS/GMRS radio.

FRS ch14 (467.7125) is NOT a channel that is shared with GMRS so it can't be a grandfathered business license for a private ambulance co.

Local "kid" playing with a home built repeater circuit, retransmitting scanner traffic on FRS? It would be easy enough to do with a couple of audio jacks, some wire and turning on the VOX function on a bubble pack radio.

Private ambulance company that picked up some Chinese radios and is running illegally? Who would run dispatch on a frequency that is limited to 1/2 watt?

Private ambulance company that has a defective radio that is also transmitting on a harmonic of it's assigned frequency? Although the audio seemed awfully clear for that.

Here is a shore video clip https://youtu.be/cO5N8pv8_cQ

The audio was pretty clear. It makes me wonder if an EMS crew was using some sort of non-authorized repeater, to be outside their rig?

Sent via Tapatalk

KC8HNQ

That is an Icom IC-7100 ham radio.

I know, cause I have one! :)

Ed
K4XXX

Yes sir it is.

After I herd the medical traffic on my HT I tuned to that frequency on the Icom to see if I could decode a CTSS or DCT tone. It did not lock on to one. So, my best guess is someone was playing games retransmitting scanner traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.