Medical Helicopter dispatching on 151.505 DPL703

kurtswaney

Radio Field Trips
Database Admin
Hello All - I live in Lakewood and I'm hearing what sounds like Medical Helicopter (and maybe some ground transport) dispatching on 151.505 D703. I'm not finding an FCC license for this frequency. Is anyone already familiar with this frequency use and location? Thank you, Kurt

kurtswaney

Radio Field Trips
Database Admin
I should add, RR DB has 151.505 226-DPL as REACH/Lifeline Dispatch - Methodist Mtn,
so perhaps 151.505 DPL-703 is another REACH/Lifeline site near Denver Metro.

Mick

They are not listed yet:
CO Medical Helicopters (Colorado) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
Medical Helicopters (CO) - The RadioReference Wiki

When I hear them on 151.505 D703 they mention things like "Children's 3" and "En route back to Children's Main."

Hello All - I live in Lakewood and I'm hearing what sounds like Medical Helicopter (and maybe some ground transport) dispatching on 151.505 D703. I'm not finding an FCC license for this frequency. Is anyone already familiar with this frequency use and location? Thank you, Kurt

n0nhj

In way too deep...
Feed Provider
151.505 is an itinerant Frequency, which the Medical Helos seem to use a lot. Ininerant=temporary use not to exceed one year by the FCC rules... Children switched from being operated by FFL to Reach a few years ago, so may have changed the VHF frequency. The license would likely show up as a nationwide, or statewide allocation.

kurtswaney

Radio Field Trips
Database Admin
A nationwide search for 151.505 finds WREM660 - Air Medical Group Holdings, Inc. This license includes both 151.505 and 158.400, as well as several other VHF and UHF itinerant frequencies.
ULS License - Industrial/Business Pool, Conventional License - WREM660 - Air Medical Group Holdings, Inc (fcc.gov)

Air Medical Group Holdings is now Global Medical Response. They own REACH Air Medical (as well as other medical helicopter entities). Global Medical Response also owns American Medical Response (AMR ambulance) and are headquartered in Greenwood Village, CO.

Thank you very much for the search suggestion. I think we now have an FCC license for both UCHealth LifeLine and Children's One (both operated by REACH Air Medical).

rdrunnermedic

I parked one of my VHF base stations on this frequency for the past week to see if I could help unravel this mystery. It is used very sporadically, but I've caught alert tones and tone paging for "Children's 3" a handful of times so far. Sometimes they dispatch specific teams, but they have so far always used the "Children's 3" callsign, just appended with a suffix ("Children's 3 Bravo," ect). They appear to be dispatched primarily for IFT's with a variety of hospitals around the metro area (and even points beyond) from "Centennial Base" and have (so far) always transported back to "Children's Main" before returning to "Centennial Base." I have heard beginning and ending mileages being broadcast, which leads me to believe that this may be CCT (ground ambulance) ops for TCH. Since the frequency is used so sporadically, it is hard to really get enough data to say for sure, but these are my findings so far.

rdrunnermedic

Just caught "Children's 2" enroute to an IFT in Albuquerque, NM for transport back to Children's Main with an ETE of 1hr 20min on this frequency. An odd tone paging format I'm not familiar enough with by ear was used followed by the standard MCC7500-type warble alert. You can hear a TPT from a TRBO radio when the dispatcher keys up, too.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Just FYI, I'm still trying to identify the dispatch frequency (if any) for REACH 71, a/k/a "Guardian 1" (N941EM) based at SLVRMC in Alamosa. I'm guessing it's most likely one of the Itinerant freqs listed above under WREM660 - Air Medical Group Holdings, Inc. If anyone figures it out please update the DB or send me a message.

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
151.505 is an itinerant Frequency, which the Medical Helos seem to use a lot. Ininerant=temporary use not to exceed one year by the FCC rules... Children switched from being operated by FFL to Reach a few years ago, so may have changed the VHF frequency. The license would likely show up as a nationwide, or statewide allocation.
So an itinerant license isn’t limited to one year. My state wide itinerant is good for the normal 10 year grant period. The regs do stipulate that the license holder may not operate in a fixed location with an itinerant for more than a year… but the helo moves across the entire state.

An itinerant is likely the only way they could get a single frequency for the entire state. Fixed location licenses are for a radius surrounding a specified location, usually 80Km from whatever coordinates are listed in the application. My guess is that even though the hospital contacting the helo is in a fixed location, the helo operator holds the license and services all of Colorado, so an itinerant is perfectly suited for them.

Though I’m licensed for an itinerant, I make it a rule to only use it when I’m outside of the area covered by my fixed location frequencies. That way I don’t run into issues with using the itinerant in a fixed location for longer than I’m supposed to.

-B

n0nhj

In way too deep...
Feed Provider
Just FYI, I'm still trying to identify the dispatch frequency (if any) for REACH 71, a/k/a "Guardian 1" (N941EM) based at SLVRMC in Alamosa. I'm guessing it's most likely one of the Itinerant freqs listed above under WREM660 - Air Medical Group Holdings, Inc. If anyone figures it out please update the DB or send me a message.

151.625 Mob RX & 158.4075 Mobile TX DPL might be 625 but needs to be confirmed. Repeater on the Pool Table Mountain Site near Del Norte