Medical Helo question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warbirdhunter

Now and then I hear "Med Evac 1" asking for a med patch. Where are they out of? And is there any truth to the rumor that the medical helo's in Colorado might get their own DTRS talk group?

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Now and then I hear "Med Evac 1" asking for a med patch. Where are they out of? And is there any truth to the rumor that the medical helo's in Colorado might get their own DTRS talk group?

Med Evac is the old Greeley Air Life one based in Greeley at NCMC and the 2nd ship based in Erie.

Quick Facts About North Colorado Med Evac:

* Service started Feb.1, 2008
* Formerly Airlife of Greeley
* Offers two helicopters 24/7
* We fly more than 800 missions a year
* Flight Team is Pilot, RN, and EMT-P
* We service a 300-mile radius of Greeley, Colo., including northern Colorado, southern Wyoming and western Nebraska
* Transport children and adults
* Fly 2 Bell 407s
* Med - Trans Corporation is the vendor
* CAMTS accredited since 1996

There are a ton of EMS TG's already Charles including a statewide EMS one, regional ones, and each RETAC even has there own which are never used. Don't see why they would need another TG and then begins the discussion we have had here before they are not allowed to use DTRS in the air anyways.

Jim<

Last edited:

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
I believe they are out of Greeley.
As for a TG on DTRS, unless the CCNC has changed their policy, I don't think it will happen. Right now, airborne units are not allowed to use the DTRS, since they will most likely hit more sites than they need to for their mission, and cause an overload of those sites.
Down here, they are using 800mzh simplex channels, which are available on DTRS radios.

eyes00only

Right now, airborne units are not allowed to use the DTRS, since they will most likely hit more sites than they need to for their mission, and cause an overload of those sites.
Down here, they are using 800mzh simplex channels, which are available on DTRS radios.

Just goes to show I can learn something new every day.
I always thought FFL, etc. could come up on any channel needed. Of course
the norm are FERN & NLEEC. Does the NO DTRS rule apply to CSP aircraft
and military too?

JK

I know CSP aircraft operate off of CSP 3 in my area. In talking with a trooper, no they do not have a DTR radio in the plane.

nathancarlson

Why are there TGs listed in the Database for MedEvac 1917, 1918 and CSP Aircraft 2362? Not trying to be smart mouth, and it makes sense they would not be on DTRS but why the talkgroups? I do know that they use FERN in boulder County for landing medical aircraft.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Why are there TGs listed in the Database for MedEvac 1917, 1918 and CSP Aircraft 2362? Not trying to be smart mouth, and it makes sense they would not be on DTRS but why the talkgroups? I do know that they use FERN in boulder County for landing medical aircraft.

1917 & 1918 are used by Medevac when there on the ground and for coordination purposes, same with 2362 ground operations by the aircraft troopers.

Jim<

nathancarlson

thanks! I have not ever heard any radio traffic on these TG but have been hoping to. What channels would be good to monitor for dispatch of these aircraft? Are they toned out on a fire freq?

speard

Premium Subscriber
Just goes to show I can learn something new every day.
I always thought FFL, etc. could come up on any channel needed. Of course
the norm are FERN & NLEEC. Does the NO DTRS rule apply to CSP aircraft
and military too?

JK

They could come up on a DTR talkgroup if needed, but as bob alluded to, it would unecessarily tax the sytem. Where I am, they use a simplex channel wih the responders.

Military aircraft don't come to play on our talkgroups.

batrastard

Just a question, in Salt Lake County on the UCAN system the life flight helicopters us the motorola trunked system. Here is the question, why would the helicopters tax the dtrs system here?

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
Because frequencies are re-used at several sites in the system and an aircraft at altitude can "hit" multiple sites. For example, let's say you want to talk on site "1" and the control freq is 852.1. When your chopper is at 5000 ft, you not only have line of sight to site 1 but also to sites 2, 3, 4, and 5. If 852.1 is used at any other site in your line of sight "view", you'll key up that site in addition to site 1.

Warbirdhunter

Because frequencies are re-used at several sites in the system and an aircraft at altitude can "hit" multiple sites. For example, let's say you want to talk on site "1" and the control freq is 852.1. When your chopper is at 5000 ft, you not only have line of sight to site 1 but also to sites 2, 3, 4, and 5. If 852.1 is used at any other site in your line of sight "view", you'll key up that site in addition to site 1.

So does Denver's multi site system work differently then? Or how to they make sure Air one does not take up more then one site?

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
So does Denver's multi site system work differently then? Or how to they make sure Air one does not take up more then one site?

Yes no comparison between Denver EDACS system and the statewide DTRS. They operate much differently.

Jim<

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
The difference is that the Denver sites work to complement each other. There aren't different TGs on different sites on it, where the DTRS sites _may_ host different TGs.

Status
Not open for further replies.