Medical Helo's

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaft

In the St. Charles Co., Warrenton area, who provides Air Care around here? I thought it was Arch and it maybe, but I havent heard anything come across their freqs for the Air care part. I've caught a few incidents, but usually the helo comes across the mutual aid channel when they are inbound to a scene.

mjthomas59

Most of this area depends on ARCH and AirEvac. They are normally contacted via telephone and the company with the best ETA to the scene is dispatched. They generally communicate with the ground units on Fire Mutual Aid to setup a landing zone.

ARCH does have a base in Warrenton, MO and another one in downtown St. Louis. If you haven't, you should research the company, they actually cover a large portion of the midwest with bases in multiple states.

I also pick them up constantly on HEAR340 when they are transporting patients from one place to another. Due to their elevation you can receive their signal loud and clear from quite a distance. I've heard them as far away as Pike County and JeffCo in route to one of the major hospitals in Saint Louis like Big Barnes or St. Johns.
Hope that helps

Last edited:

shaft

I knew you would have the answer I was looking for.

I have researched ARCH, and knew they have a base in Warrenton. I hear one of their birds fly over my house several times a week. Since I never heard a dispatch over the air, I thought maybe I was missing some freq's or maybe it was someone else out in this area for air transport, but apparently not.

I have heard them once in a blue moon on HEAR340, but its few and far between.

Thanks again... you on the road with New Melle still?

mjthomas59

While I was in the academy they require us to go out and do training with other agencies. I spent most of my time in Wentzville and then a couple nights here and there with New Melle. After i got out of the academy I got hired full-time by the Franklin County Sheriffs Office. Not quite as glamorous a job as Wentzville but we are much busier and take a lot more "hot-calls".

I seem to pick up the helo's more often when i'm mobile. I have a 2096 in my personal vehicle along with a 5/8 wave VHF antenna. Nothing too fancy but it does a pretty good job. I also pickup a lot of the big hospitals in saint louis. St. Johns must have a heck of a setup because they normally come in crystal clear from the LSL/O'Fallon area.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.