Medical Response

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpgaun

Premium Subscriber
MR units are ALS vehicles (4 door pickups) for areas where there is high medical call volume. MR154 is a PHX unit with PHX markings and personnel being run out of Glendale station 154. My understanding is that it was put in service to ease the amount of times E154 had to respond to the city for medical calls. Someone else may have better info but that’s my take on it.

KB7MIB

There's a pair of links in this post.

If you Google "Phoenix Fire MR154", you'll also find a Fox10 article about it, as well as other mentions.

There are at least a couple of MR units around the Valley. Phoenix FD MR918 runs out of FS3 during the day, and FS18 at night. Surprise FD just put MR305 into service, I do believe.

John
Peoria

KB7MIB

Correction, Surprise has Low Acuity 305 (LA305), not an MR unit. And I don't think it's really that new, I believe it went into service sometime last year. My mistake.

John
Peoria

rpgaun

Premium Subscriber
Hey John, I could be wrong but I believe that got put into service when the did away with E305

KB7MIB

IIRC, many Surprise residents in the first due area were none too pleased that the city was choosing to only quarter an LA unit there, and not (also) an ALS engine company. I'm not sure if that was a city council decision, or an FD decision.

As an aside, there was another Medical Response incident earlier this afternoon at 67th and Olive Aves. It appears that a Medical Response is a response level, but I'm not sure where it falls alongside 962, 962 extrication, 2-and-1 medical, etc.

John
Peoria

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Medical response calls are usually injury traffic incidents with multiple patients: two 15 passenger vans collide, a Greyhound bus crash, etc. Of course, other calls for EMS could fit the criteria.

Ravenfalls

Premium Subscriber
No. As per above. MR is usually SUV with most likely no engine or ladder. Ladder get expensive run medical calls. Alot agencies use Ladder for medical. This may be a better idea & cost effective?

Same as in old show Live Rescue Show, when SUV medic units were on scene.

KB7MIB

A "Medical Response" is also a call type in the public CAD page that Phoenix FD has. It's not just a 4-person ALS SUV or crewcab pickup with a shell.

I'm wondering where it falls in severity compared to a regular 962, a 962E, a 2&1/3&1 medical, a 1st alarm medical, etc.

John
Peoria

Status
Not open for further replies.