Medina County Badge Numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

kem554991

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone happen to know how Medina County's badge number system works? I know Hondo and Castroville and maybe a few other small departments are dispatched by the Sheriff's Office. As I understand it DPS is dispatched on their own P25 channel from Devine but they monitor Medina County and assist as needed. Also does anyone know what the division is between the repeaters? The one listed as repeater 2 on the DB seems to be in the western part of the county but I can't tell what determines which repeater a unit uses. I live in Bexar County right on the Medina County line but I'm going to be working in Hondo now so I'm trying to get some more information.

scrotumola

I do not know if this is still accurate, but Troopers working in and around Medina Co used to talk to DPS SA via the D'Hanis tower. Same input as the SA pair, but different receiver/tower site. Troopers on rural assignment typically monitor and may be active on the County frequency of their assignment.

Overall, DPS' radio traffic isn't what it used to be. Everything is now automated, with the troopers having MDT/Laptops and AVL, their comm centers know where their units are at all times. Their comms are now largely pursuit related and/or if the trooper suspects trouble. There were also consolidations of district headquarters and comm centers, a couple of years ago, which mean that smaller dedicated comm centers are no more and those Troopers now communicate with larger ones. DPS SA now covers a very large area, as do most active comm centers.

As far as the Medina County badge numbers/call numbers go, I don't know, but will ask a friend.

~S~

Last edited:

kem554991

Premium Subscriber
Oops I meant D'Hanis rather than Devine although I didn't realize they were dispatched through DPS SA. I need to get a digital scanner so I can monitor what they do have. My PRO-2018 is strictly analog-only and I don't currently have the money to throw into a nicer scanner. And if you could check on the numbers I would appreciate it. About all I've been able to figure out listening this evening is that there are numbers in the 2200's and 4200's but I don't know what departments they would be from. The dispatcher called for a Castroville unit and I heard what sounded like a 300 unit reply but there may have been a 2 or a 4 in front of that. A lot of their units just use the last two of their badge number rather than the whole thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.