Medina County on Parma System

Status
Not open for further replies.

lowes1

I was wondering if any of the Medina County talkgroups can be received on the Parma simulcast system in the Cleveland area. There was a Medina County Sheriff chase starting in Lodi involving OSP that ended in Middleburg Heights today. I was able to receive Medina Sheriff on my PSR 500 talk group 3002 on the Parma wildcard setting . I do have some of the Medina talkgroups on my SDS scanners using the Medina 700 mghz channels which I am unable to receive from Parma Heights. I was wondering whether I should program some of the Medina talkgroups into the Parma 800 system. I'm not sure why 3002 is the only Medina talkgroup that comes up in the wildcard setting in the Parma system on the PSR 500 unless the wildcard settings are not up to date.

KB8VJU

Premium Subscriber
I believe 3002 is allowed on the Parma tower to allow Hinckley PD to use system. The Medina Simulcast doesn’t seem to do so well in that area of the county.
I was wondering if any of the Medina County talkgroups can be received on the Parma simulcast system in the Cleveland area. There was a Medina County Sheriff chase starting in Lodi involving OSP that ended in Middleburg Heights today. I was able to receive Medina Sheriff on my PSR 500 talk group 3002 on the Parma wildcard setting . I do have some of the Medina talkgroups on my SDS scanners using the Medina 700 mghz channels which I am unable to receive from Parma Heights. I was wondering whether I should program some of the Medina talkgroups into the Parma 800 system. I'm not sure why 3002 is the only Medina talkgroup that comes up in the wildcard setting in the Parma system on the PSR 500 unless the wildcard settings are not up to date.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
Since Medina only has one site, Seville, and Brunswick is completely on MARCS, I'm sure any Medina Co uses Cuyahoga towers.

budevans

The only Medina traffic that I've monitored from the Parma system are TG3002 and TG3001. Both are Medina Sheriff TG's.

TG3002 is fairly active on the Parma system. TG3001 I hear on Parma's system, once in a blue moon.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Since Medina only has one site, Seville, and Brunswick is completely on MARCS, I'm sure any Medina Co uses Cuyahoga towers.

Medina doesn't only have one site

Five Built Out
3833 WEYMOUTH ROAD, Medina OH
8331 BRANCH RD, Medina OH
8416 HARRIS RD, Harrisville Twp OH
2916 STATE RD, Medina OH
7800 RIDGE ROAD, Wadsworth Twp, OH

One delayed -- extension of time filed with FCC on June 16 2020
1530 STONEY HILL RD, Hinckley Twp, OH

Yeah, it's a simulcast, consisting of 5-6 sites. Are more than one site in the simulcast active right now? Only you guys in Medina Co would know that. I'm betting the simulcast is active with multiple sites.

Mike

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
Medina doesn't only have one site

Five Built Out
3833 WEYMOUTH ROAD, Medina OH
8331 BRANCH RD, Medina OH
8416 HARRIS RD, Harrisville Twp OH
2916 STATE RD, Medina OH
7800 RIDGE ROAD, Wadsworth Twp, OH

One delayed -- extension of time filed with FCC on June 16 2020
1530 STONEY HILL RD, Hinckley Twp, OH

Yeah, it's a simulcast, consisting of 5-6 sites. Are more than one site in the simulcast active right now? Only you guys in Medina Co would know that. I'm betting the simulcast is active with multiple sites.

Mike
I'm not sure what I was looking at last week :ROFLMAO:. Somehow I only saw the one tower on the Medina map, and since I still hear it all on analog, I made a very wrong assumption. Oops.

I only monitor Wadsworth and Medina County Fire regularly.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I'm not sure what I was looking at last week :ROFLMAO:. Somehow I only saw the one tower on the Medina map, and since I still hear it all on analog, I made a very wrong assumption. Oops.

I only monitor Wadsworth and Medina County Fire regularly.

I was sorta being a smartass. Meaning, I didn't realize that they added a bunch of sites to the simulcast either. Clearly all of those sites are to be part of the simulcast -- but I can't say if any/all of those sites are active in the simulcast right now. I'm sure they are intended to be, and FCC filings state that five of the sites have been built out, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they have an actual simulcast (multiple active sites in the cell) going at this time. If they don't, I'm sure they will be in the future. The key will be for somebody inside Medina to eventually report difficulty receiving the Medina site with a non-SD100/200 scanner. Once you start hearing those reports, you can probably be fairly certain that it is a simulcast at that point.

Mike

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
I was sorta being a smartass. Meaning, I didn't realize that they added a bunch of sites to the simulcast either. Clearly all of those sites are to be part of the simulcast -- but I can't say if any/all of those sites are active in the simulcast right now. I'm sure they are intended to be, and FCC filings state that five of the sites have been built out, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they have an actual simulcast (multiple active sites in the cell) going at this time. If they don't, I'm sure they will be in the future. The key will be for somebody inside Medina to eventually report difficulty receiving the Medina site with a non-SD100/200 scanner. Once you start hearing those reports, you can probably be fairly certain that it is a simulcast at that point.

Mike
Good to know I'm not going insane, but after the past two weeks, I wouldn't be surprised.

Maybe one day I will take my RTL-SDR to work and see if I can read the simulcast site reporting.

I only know about Brunswick because I bought a radio from their PD.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Good to know I'm not going insane, but after the past two weeks, I wouldn't be surprised.

Maybe one day I will take my RTL-SDR to work and see if I can read the simulcast site reporting.

I only know about Brunswick because I bought a radio from their PD.

What it would probably take to determine that is either some press release or somebody monitoring the control channel with SDR software and noting both the bandwidth being used by the signal and the "dirtiness" of the signal. I can usually tell pretty easily if a control channel is part of an LSM/QPSK system because it's usually wider and has some pretty dirty skirts (unless you happen to only be hearing one site from the location).

Mike

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
in 2015, shortly after the origina license application, one of the license updates included a document which stated:

"This application is fora 5channel, 5 site, trunked radio systemfor Medina County,Ohio,FRN 0002913291,and will provide interoperable, public safety communications. "

So, initially they planned for five sites. that was in 2015. I imagine all five sites are online as part of an actual simulcast. I suspect that the sixth site (mentioned in previous post -- not built out yet) is needed for better coverage somewhere.

I always thought it was a simulcast, until some suggested otherwise. So really none of this should be new news. It already has proper geocoordinates set for the site in the DB to reflect that it covers the whole county -- and it wouldn't be covering the whole county without multiple sites.

Mike

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
At a minimum, Wadsworth site shows up on aerial photography, so you are probably right, all 5 are likely built an operational. But like Summit County, there are probably Medina Systems broadcasting in Cuyahoga and Cuyahoga Systems broadcasting in Medina.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
I was looking on my phone all weekend. I completely misread the thread/forgot M.C./O.C/Parma are on an oddball 700/800 system and not on MARCS. There are 5 MC towers, but only one MARCS tower in Medina County.

That's what I get for responding while on a hike.

Status
Not open for further replies.