Medium wave Radio DXing Challenge 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

pb_lonny

I would like to propose a medium wave radio dxing challenge to run for the rest of the year. This is not a competition and it is not about beating anybody else except yourself, it is a trust based challenge and the rules are not too complex. I see it working along these lines.

- Each station you receive in each dxing session is scored based on the distance from your location to the transmitter; it does not need to accurate, only to the nearest 1000km. A number of good websites exist which can help with finding these distances.
The scoring table is:
0 - 1000km = 1 point
1001 - 2000km = 3 points
2001 - 3000km = 6 points
3001 - 4000km = 9 points
Over 4000km = 12 points

- You also receive a bonus based on the location of your medium wave dxing session. If it is a new location then you double your total score. Again this is trust based as to what counts as a new location. I would say a 1km radius around each location would be a fair guide. This is to encourage portable / mobile operation.

- Each location can only be counted once in a 24 hour period and the double score bonus only counts the first time you log from each location.

- Full logs do not need to be kept, just a total for each session (with location) and a running total of your score. A simple spreadsheet can do this.

- Any and all equipment capable of receiving the medium wave broadcast band can be used.

- At the end of the challenge I can produce certificates for each person who takes part.

I have created a page on my blog just for this challenge where progress scores and information can be shared: Ultralight DXing: Medium wave Radio DXing Challenge 2014

Any questions can be directed to me via email: tanger32au@gmail.com

Boombox

Sounds like a bit of fun. Hopefully, MWDX conditions will improve -- that way I could get a score higher than 1/2. :)

pb_lonny

Thanks, I am planning on doing my first session score and uploading this later today as an example.

TassieJay

I like the idea Paul, I'll try to join in as time permits. Though one suggestion: perhaps rethink the distance brackets. Since this is predominantly a US based forum, imperial distances eg: miles would be far more familiar. There ought to be some nice round (approximate only of course) figures that can be expressed simply in miles or kilometres eg: 900 miles / 1500km.

HopperD

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like fun. This is something I do on a regular basis anyway as a hobby, look forward to getting started. I'll post my finds when I have time of course.

pb_lonny

Thanks for the feedback.
For those in the USA lets say 600 miles, 1200 miles, 1800 miles, 2400 miles and over 2400 miles.

Boombox

I'm thinking about trying this points thing out, now that I've got it figured out how to do it....

DXing lately has been more or less the same 300-odd stations anyway, same handful of UNIDs.

Something like this may spice up the DX sessions a bit.

If I tally any of my MWDX sessions over the next week or so I'll contact you via your email or blogsite.

greedo24

Along these lines... does there exist a standard format for what items you need to record for each station heard? I would imagine it would be something like a spreadsheet with lines for each station, and columns for frequency, callsign, time of day, things you heard, etc.

Thanks!

Greedo

pb_lonny

Along these lines... does there exist a standard format for what items you need to record for each station heard? I would imagine it would be something like a spreadsheet with lines for each station, and columns for frequency, callsign, time of day, things you heard, etc.

Thanks!

Greedo

All you need to log is what stations you heard and distance to the nearest 1000km. I have used some software called TablePro, others use a spreadsheet.

SpectreOZ

MW conditions in the evening have been interesting this week, I've been hearing Queensland AM BCB stations clashing with locals (500Km away), stations included...

1071Khz - 4SB

0693Khz - 4KQ

1008Khz - 4TAB

How did you fair further down the Eastern seaboard Paul?

k9rzz

I've never DX'd anywhere else, but DXing MW in the midwest USA is very frequency dependent. I can tune in to 730khz and hear XEX in Mexico City, 150kw @ 2200 miles fairly easily, but logging anything over 250 miles on a graveyard frequency is near impossible, it's just a jumble of stations every night. There really are no 'clear channels' anymore. Beating interference from close stations is the name of the game. Loops help a ton. "BOG" (beverage on ground) antennas are king. Personally, I would value a 200 mile logging on a graveyard channel (nearly impossible) 10x more than hearing KFI in Los Angeles @ 2000 miles (nightly depending on your location). If you live on one of the coasts, then you can hear international stations nightly. 4,000 miles? Piece of cake! Germany, France, Algeria - no problem if you're on Cape Cod! ~:^]

Status
Not open for further replies.