Meeting/Get-together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K7RRT

Feed Provider
Wondering if the Utah Radio Scanning Group still gets together ever?... If not, I think it would be fun to meet you all sometime face to face. Nothing formal, just an evening at Litza's Pizza or anywhere in a central location. I realize this would be quite a travel for some and others the distance (and $ for gas) would not be worth the trip. However, even just a few of us at the same place at same time to chat, swap ideas/programing styles, see each others rigs/installs, EAT, ect. would be a lot of fun. I don't think monthly meetings would have good attendance at all, but maybe a quarterly or even biannually? Or never? What do you think? I hope I'm not the only one interested in this... Even if that is the case I still really enjoy this forum and the help from you friendly people.

Reply back if interested and suggest a date/time/location.

Take care,

N7YUO

Well, I've never been to a meeting of the Utah Radio Scanning Group, but I have been to many meetings of other local scanning groups in the past. I like to actually meet some of the other members.
Some people would bring along a trunker setup to display. One time, they brought along some real old scanners.

In the past, we had members from police, fire, search & rescue, UDOT, UPRR, and emt's. They helped create a common bond. Nowdays, those people are more careful than ever about what they do or say.
Some of them have quit participation altogether.

bbrasmussen

I'd like to meet other scanner enthusiasts face to face. If something is set up I'd like to attend and swap stories, frequencies and experiences.
Brandon - K7BBR

K7RRT

Feed Provider
Hopefully more will see this and we can put something together soon. N7YUO, I wish it was still like that today... I work in a hospital an KNOW how careful one has to be when discussing "top secret" government business... ;>) It makes me upset that this is what it has come to... I still think it would be nice if, even just a few of us were able to get together sometime. A lot of us here are Ham's as well, could be a good little group with a lot in common.

Highpockets

Well, I've never been to a meeting of the Utah Radio Scanning Group, but I have been to many meetings of other local scanning groups in the past. I like to actually meet some of the other members.
Some people would bring along a trunker setup to display. One time, they brought along some real old scanners.

In the past, we had members from police, fire, search & rescue, UDOT, UPRR, and emt's. They helped create a common bond. Nowdays, those people are more careful than ever about what they do or say.
Some of them have quit participation altogether.

If you guys do have a meeting, maybe you could discuss ways to better utilize the Utah Wiki. Stuff that the locals would be interested in that the rest of the scanner community wouldn't. Maps, directions, tips on how to set up your scanner living in Utah, hints on better ways to receive the sites in your area. Things that would help someone that may be going to visit Utah. The site seems to be just sitting there getting out of date, it could be another useful tool for you locals.

http://utahradio.org/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page

kf7yn

Count me in. We certainly did have some dandy meetings in ther past like when we met at the EOC conference room at the State Capitol bldg.

Now if we could just get Steve to come out here from Toms River, that would be awesome!

Highpockets

Count me in. We certainly did have some dandy meetings in ther past like when we met at the EOC conference room at the State Capitol bldg.

Now if we could just get Steve to come out here from Toms River, that would be awesome!

I'd love to Jon, but a little to old to move now. I may not live there but I'm with you guys in heart, for many reasons, one being the warm welcome I have recieved. :)

N7YUO

Maybe we should set a time and date, then email some of the members that used to attend meetings.

As for the wiki, I went to look for it about a week ago, and I had a difficult time finding it.
When I did find it, I realized it looked like it had been abandoned!

Here is another one: Freq Of Nature It looks like a trip back in time to Thursday, June 11, 2009!

K7RRT

Feed Provider
Saturday, March 10th 1700hrs @ Litzas Pizza 716 East 400 South SLC, UT 84102...
This was just to through SOMETHING out there... Any other suggestions?

bbrasmussen

Saturdays are fine. Location is good. For hams in the area there will be a meeting for the Davis County Amateur Radio Club that morning and "March Madness" will be that night. So time is probably good. Count me in.

N7YUO

I'd love to Jon, but a little to old to move now. I may not live there but I'm with you guys in heart, for many reasons, one being the warm welcome I have recieved. :)

Well maybe we could help him be there -- with a webcam! Next best thing to being there. Just an idea.

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
Count me in on the concept fella's.....but count me out on Mar 10.....supposed to be the best man at a wedding.....

Given my druthers.....I'd rather spend an evening with you all it would be much more fun!!

Paul

K7RRT

Feed Provider
I'm open to another date if needed, I just threw one out to get things started... Any other suggestions? Or, are we good with just a few this time and see how it goes? Maybe more can attend the next time around...

So far I have:

bbrasmussen
kf7yn? Yes/No?
N7YUO Yes/No?
and myself...

I'm good with 4 of us as a start, and feel free to bring a friend that's into radios and might not be on the forum yet...

See ya soon?

walld13

metting

yes u can count me ine as well as long as i am home in time i drive a truck as u all know so some weekends are a hit and a miss with me but i will be there if i am home.
I still scan with a 2053 and get most of the traffic would like a newer radio how ever

K7RRT

Feed Provider
Well, it's a go as far as I'm concerned! Three is good enough for me and hopefully more will join us, all are welcome! I know it's about scanning but, get ready bbrasmussen I will probably talk your ear off about Ham stuff as I'm studing for my General right now. :) I'll call and see if we can get a table in the back somewhere with some elbow room.

Just to confirm: Saturday, March 10th 1700hrs @ Litzas Pizza 716 East 400 South SLC, UT 84102

See you all soon!

P.S. If you are a Ham I'll be on the Lewis Peak 147.36 as I travel down from Heber and then I'll monitor the 146.62 when I get to the mouth of Parley's.

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
I have a suggestion. As is posted in the forum there is a statewide earthquake drill on April 17.

The suggestion is for us to possibly meet up the weekends before and after to compare notes about this event for those who are interested. Those who are interested in grouping up in different areas to monitor during this event would be awesome.

The suggestion is a little rough but maybe we could post it as a thread and see how that goes????

Paul

K7RRT

Feed Provider
I'm all for that pmstewart... I will be heavily involved in this drill either as a Ham or in the capacity of a respiratory therapist/medical response through the hospitals I work for...It would be fun to monitor it all as well. Any ideas as to how to approach this?

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
The only thought I've given to this seems to require quite a few scanners - connected to half that many computers running UniTrunker - a tough group of die hards to stick with it in each county (if we can get enough participation) and know it will be chaotic!!.....LOL

Seriously, I thought it might be interesting to pair an amateur radio operator with just a scanner hobbyist if possible at each location so we are getting the benefit of both. Ideally I'd invisioned two scanner operators to each amateur radio operator. Reason: If we take one set of scanners and program in the UCAN Trunk and other local frequencies, etc. - monitoring the control channel on the Simulcast for each area would keep one person busy. The other set up would have NO info downloaded from RR into it and just monitoring the control channel (s) of a frequently used IR in the area might be a good place to start.

Any thoughts Ya'll??

Status
Not open for further replies.