Megahertz Technology Missing Freq?

DustyH777

Premium Subscriber
Hello All,

Dont know how many of you monitor this system but since I recently added MOTOTBRO to my SDS100 and now can listen to church ops at Preston Wood Baptist when I programmed the freq from Digital Freq Search website that is associated with PBC I hear 2 active freq that have traffic on them that sounds like CareFlite and not church ops, I noticed these freq were not listed in the MGHZ Tech freq list. 451.9500 & 461.8375 maybe the system added more freq and the database has not been updated?

Anyone have throughts on this?

DH

mwjones

Premium Subscriber
Megahertz is a strange beast to deal with, and they seem to change things up on a semi-regular basis, so much so, unless someone is paying close attention, the listings here in the RRDB may not always be up to date (for example the Allen/McKinney site has been off the air for a while, and they increased the output of TI and Howe to make up for it). They also have a Hytera Tier 3 system, which has picked up some frequencies from the Motorola Connect Plus system, although the lack of activity on the Tier 3 system makes me wonder if they are building it out to eventually replace the Connect Plus system (which is no longer being sold by Motorola).

Looking at the license for Prestonwood Baptist Church on Park Blvd, it is rated at an ERP of 50 Watts, under my rule of thumb, that puts the range at 5-7 miles tops, but I would say that based on antenna height, its closer to 1-2 miles. Likewise, just looking at a few of the frequencies, Megahertz is licensed for them at either the TI Campus at 635 and 75, Downtown Dallas, or on Belt Line Road in Cedar Hill (Cedar Hill is strong enough I used to pick them up in my 3rd floor apartment in Frisco, along with Downtown Dallas, even here in Van Alstyne I can get Denton with a strong signal, although Howe blows everything away). All of Megahertz sites have decent antenna height and would likely overpower Prestonwood outside of that small range of their site based on the ERP in the license (from 100-200 Watts).

Because of the Color Code, Prestonwood's radios can ignore Megahertz, and vice-versa. By default, the SDS100 is in "Color Code Search" mode, and will pick up anybody on that frequency. If you can identify the Color Code Prestonwood is using, then you could set that in the SDS100, and it would ignore Megahertz as well.

DustyH777

Premium Subscriber
Megahertz is a strange beast to deal with, and they seem to change things up on a semi-regular basis, so much so, unless someone is paying close attention, the listings here in the RRDB may not always be up to date (for example the Allen/McKinney site has been off the air for a while, and they increased the output of TI and Howe to make up for it). They also have a Hytera Tier 3 system, which has picked up some frequencies from the Motorola Connect Plus system, although the lack of activity on the Tier 3 system makes me wonder if they are building it out to eventually replace the Connect Plus system (which is no longer being sold by Motorola).

Looking at the license for Prestonwood Baptist Church on Park Blvd, it is rated at an ERP of 50 Watts, under my rule of thumb, that puts the range at 5-7 miles tops, but I would say that based on antenna height, its closer to 1-2 miles. Likewise, just looking at a few of the frequencies, Megahertz is licensed for them at either the TI Campus at 635 and 75, Downtown Dallas, or on Belt Line Road in Cedar Hill (Cedar Hill is strong enough I used to pick them up in my 3rd floor apartment in Frisco, along with Downtown Dallas, even here in Van Alstyne I can get Denton with a strong signal, although Howe blows everything away). All of Megahertz sites have decent antenna height and would likely overpower Prestonwood outside of that small range of their site based on the ERP in the license (from 100-200 Watts).

Because of the Color Code, Prestonwood's radios can ignore Megahertz, and vice-versa. By default, the SDS100 is in "Color Code Search" mode, and will pick up anybody on that frequency. If you can identify the Color Code Prestonwood is using, then you could set that in the SDS100, and it would ignore Megahertz as well.
Wow!!! Very well put, I will keep a watch and look at the color codes.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hello All,

Dont know how many of you monitor this system but since I recently added MOTOTBRO to my SDS100 and now can listen to church ops at Preston Wood Baptist when I programmed the freq from Digital Freq Search website that is associated with PBC I hear 2 active freq that have traffic on them that sounds like CareFlite and not church ops, I noticed these freq were not listed in the MGHZ Tech freq list. 451.9500 & 461.8375 maybe the system added more freq and the database has not been updated?

Anyone have throughts on this?

DH

I don't recall whether this was discussed in a thread here, or on another RR forum. But there was an article in The Spectrum Monitor, I believe the October 2020 edition of 'The Spectrum Monitor, about some of the digital TV stations interfering with systems that used frequencies in the Uhf-T band. Apparently, some of the 'split' digital TV channels were close enough to those set of frequencies that it caused problems. One of the local trunked operators (I believe it was Self) went through their sites & transitioned from the Uhf-T band to lower frequencies, in the 45x.xxx or 46x.xxx range.

While I have not tried to verify it, I suspect that Megahertz may have done the same. For Megahertz' TI site, other than 454.350, all the other listed frequencies for the site are Uhf-T values. Probably, some, if not all, of the Uhf-T band channels were replaced with frequencies from the newer license. WNXQ371.