Meigs County Sheriff’s Office receives MARCS radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredva

Feed Provider
I'm confused about a few things: Why does a sheriff's department that lists 16 deputies on its roster need a total of 71 radios? What is a "remote" radio? I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that term. And why does this article and another one on wsaz.com imply that Meigs can now start using MARCS, when the county has already been using that system for awhile? Makes me curious what the grant application said.

Firefox89

Premium Subscriber
I am not familiar with that area, but it could explain that there will need at least a mobile in each vehicle that the sheriffs office has, every deputy is probably issued their own personal radio, along with multiple radios located in the dispatch center. It is also probably a possibility that some radios might be going to local resources as such as Fire Departments, Schools, and the County EOC.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ

What is a "remote" radio? I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that term.

A remote radio is one where the actual RF guts are separate from the control head, they are both connected by a control cable(s)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fredva

Feed Provider
Thanks for the responses. I'm familiar with remote heads but not the term remote radio.

I thought about the idea that some of the radios might be going to fire and EMS, but if they were going to do that, I would think they would be announcing it to the public as a positive.

a388sig2

After seeing the efforts of the Boston Marathon suspect hunt, and many other recent events, I'd rather them have 70+ radios and be able to have spares or equip a mobile command center than be left empty handed in a critical incident.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I'm confused about a few things: Why does a sheriff's department that lists 16 deputies on its roster need a total of 71 radios? What is a "remote" radio? I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that term. And why does this article and another one on wsaz.com imply that Meigs can now start using MARCS, when the county has already been using that system for awhile? Makes me curious what the grant application said.

Some may end up going to Meigs County EMS. I suspect the fire departments will be left to fend for themselves, which unfortunately seems to have been happening in a number of areas around the state.

Status
Not open for further replies.