Melbourne, FL Hamfest Oct. 9-10, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB4REA

Radio Aficionado
Looking forward to attending my first Hamfest in Melbourne in about a month. I heard it's one of the bigger ones held in Florida and it's their 50th annv. Chance to win prizes has got me pretty excited too.

Quick question, I was thinking of getting a shirt or hat with my call for the event, but are there usually embroidery vendors present? If so, is the quality up to par or is it better to order online?

kf4sek

To answer your question, yes. The Sign Man is usually there and they do hats, badges, magnets, etc. The quality is also very good as are the prices. I hope this helps.

73!

KB4REA

Radio Aficionado
To answer your question, yes. The Sign Man is usually there and they do hats, badges, magnets, etc. The quality is also very good as are the prices. I hope this helps.

73!
It does, thanks for the reply. I'll wait until then for these items...

sent via Tapatalk

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
I once won a TV set in the drawing. I never figured out how that was connected to amateur radio, unless I intended to operate an amateur TV station.

The biggest question for me to ponder about the Melbourne show is which portable radio to bring with me. This year I may go old school and bring my 48 channel MX350S, that is, if I have any good batteries for it.

kf4sek

I once won a TV set in the drawing. I never figured out how that was connected to amateur radio, unless I intended to operate an amateur TV station.

My thoughts exactly, why a TV set? Let me guess, an older picture tube model?

Of course, I have been to Melbourne and Orlando several times and never win anything. So, at least you had the fortune to win a prize.

N4KVE

The biggest question for me to ponder about the Melbourne show is which portable radio to bring with me. This year I may go old school and bring my 48 channel MX350S, that is, if I have any good batteries for it.
Bring a DMR radio. We have a repeater in Melbourne.

mrhermit

Premium Subscriber
My thoughts exactly, why a TV set? Let me guess, an older picture tube model?

Of course, I have been to Melbourne and Orlando several times and never win anything. So, at least you had the fortune to win a prize.

I have attended the Orlando Hamfest earlier this year.
How would you compare the Melbourne hamfest to the Orlando hamfest?

Bigger or smaller area?

How many venders?

I looked online for a flyer for Melbourne, but did not find one so I really don't know who or what is going to be there.

N4KVE

I have attended the Orlando Hamfest earlier this year.
How would you compare the Melbourne hamfest to the Orlando hamfest?

Bigger or smaller area?

How many venders?

I looked online for a flyer for Melbourne, but did not find one so I really don't know who or what is going to be there.
Orlando is the 2nd largest, behind Dayton. Melbourne is slightly larger than a free flea. It took 1 second to find this online.
http://www.pcars.org/

mrhermit

Premium Subscriber
Orlando is the 2nd largest, behind Dayton. Melbourne is slightly larger than a free flea. It took 1 second to find this online.
                                                          PCARS (W4MLB)

I looked at that site yesterday and found out about the time it was open, but I did not find out anything about what venders (Icom, Kenwwood, MFJ,?) might be there. I did find an online PDF flyer for last year but so far nothing for his year.

N4KVE

Icom, Kenwood, & Yaesu do not go to Melbourne. Way too small to be worth it for them. There's usually a small vendor from Alabama who shows up who sells new radios. A gal who sells the hard to get connectors, power cables, & antenna mounts, etc. That's it. The rest is people selling their used equipment, most of which is stuff they've been dragging to the show for the last 25 years. When I get to the show, I run to a few sellers to see what Motorola radio stuff they have. After that, I just look for friends of 30+ years. Seriously, 80% of the stuff there is crap, but one man's trash could be another man's treasure. Maybe I'll see you there.

mrhermit

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Gary for the information. It is about a 3 hour drive for me from Sarasota. From what you are saying I might just pass on this one and wait until February and just go to the Orlando fest.
You said,"80% of the stuff there is crap". That is not what I want see. The cost of gas and a possible motel stay is a bit expensive just to see crap.

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
If the organizers of the MLB hamfest were to decide to implement and enforce a rule that stipulates that you MUST be selling something that is in some real way actually connected to amateur radio, then a third of their regular vendors would be absent. Sorry, beef jerky and beanie babies have nothing to do with radio. But there are usually people there who sell such stuff at the show.

However, it's quite possible that they make more money at the show than most other vendors.

I'll do some tailgating at the show. I've got a bunch of assorted random mobile antennas, antenna mounts, and accessories for portable radios to get rid of. Most of it's going to be sold for a buck a piece, pick what you want. A little bit will be sold for a bit more than that but anything I bring, I don't want to bring back.

If anybody should want to try to find me, and contact me via radio, PM me and I'll give you info on the frequencies, modes, etc. that I'll be monitoring and available on.

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
See you guys there tomorrow! I'll be tailgating with a truck bed full of stuff that I'll be blowing out at ridiculously cheap prices. No reasonable offer will be refused. Every unreasonable offer will be seriously considered.

I hope to come back with NONE of it. And I'll price the stuff low enough that there's a chance I might succeed.

It's not money I need, it's to get rid of this stuff. It's taking up space.

You'll recognize me if you've read this post and read the signs I put up.

N4KVE

Hope you're there Saturday, & still have equipment. This Friday stuff is unacceptable. Don't they realize people have jobs, & work? What happened to Saturday/Sunday hamfests like they used to have?

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
They switched to Friday and Saturday because Sundays were horrible. They figured it'd be better to have a moderately slow Friday and a busy Saturday than a busy Saturday and a dead Sunday.

I think they were right. Sundays really got weak over the last few years.

I'm HOPING to sell out entirely on Friday but I'm willing to be there on Saturday if there's much left.
I swear, some of this stuff is heading for the dumpster if it doesn't sell. I do NOT want it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.