Melbourne, FL Hamfest Oct. 9-10, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmdrwill

I do wish I could be there to meet up with Elroy and Gary.

I have all that stuff Elroy mentions..

Maybe Chino Hills this month.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
I got rid of about 2/3rds of what I brought. I'll be back in the morning to get rid of the rest plus I'm bringing along some more to get rid of, based on how well it sold today.

People could not believe that I was selling most of my stuff for a dollar a piece no matter what it was (with some limitations) so the stuff moved pretty fast.

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
The Friday and Saturday model of hamfesting SUCKS.

Friday starts out mega slow since most people have jobs. In the later afternoon, traffic picked up a bit
but only so much.

Saturday started out strong but by noon the crowds were tapering off and by 1 PM it was starting to resemble a ghost town.

So I'd say that between both days there were only about five or six hours where things got busy.

On a regular Saturday and Sunday show, almost all of Saturday is busy and so is Sunday morning.
It's busier in general for Saturday and Sunday shows.

That being said, I sold off about 80 percent of what I brought to the show and made a very decent amount of money. I'm not unhappy with this.

This was my first time as a "serious" tailgater.

N4KVE

Couldn't find you. But I picked up a mint 3 month old Moto XPR4550 DMR mobile radio for $300. What a bargain. And I did tell the powers that be that the Fri/Sat deal is terrible, & they should go back to Sat/Sun. I know plenty of people in the car business that only get Sunday off.

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
A great little "hamfest event" story: No, this did not happen this year. It did happen at the Melbourne hamfest in a recent year.

A man is walking around the tailgating area and telling people that they need to pay 10 dollars per TABLE they have set up in the tailgating spots. Some people have as many as eight tables set up.

This gentleman is wearing a hat with (maybe his actual) callsign letters on it and claiming to be from the hamfest administration group.

He's collecting money from people who take him at his word.

A friend of mine who was tailgating suspected that this wasn't really the case so he goes to speak to the hamfest administrators in their office.

Long story short, a few minutes later the perpetrator of multiple cases of fraud is handcuffed and stuffed into the back of a police car and gets to spend a little time in jail.

Read the rules of the hamfest if you are a vendor or tailgater. Know them. Be on the alert for scam artists. They ARE out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.