MEMA freq 44.46

Status
Not open for further replies.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Anybody ever heard this one in use? According to the FCC database, it's licensed to MEMA, and located at the MTA complex at 1515 Washington Blvd. in Baltimore. Could it be some kind of coordination frequency for mass evacuation using busses?

doctordave

Hmmm. Interesting that you'd bring that up. I heard a unit talking to one of the county EOCs on 800-CALL a few weeks back, saying he'd been trying to raise MEMA on "lowband"....at the time I had no idea what freq he was referring to. Maybe this is the freq?

Dispatcher308

Premium Subscriber
I dont see anywhere on the lisc. that it states MEMA at all. It is lisc. to the State of Maryland.

The only low band freq that we had was 47.50 (KAY 230) however that has since been phased out and we are using the VHF High Band freqs. We do have a low band channel in our consoles but that is for SHA.

I can advise you that other than the frequencies posted on this site, MEMA has no other freqs or lisc.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
From the FCC ULS search, the contact is:
MARYLAND EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCY
5401 RUE SAINT LO DRIVE
REISTERSTOWN, MD 21136-0000.

The asterisks replace the contact's name. The licensee is the State of Maryland.

I'm not doubting that MEMA doesn't use the freq now, but at some point it may have been theirs... Or possibly they coordinated it. Maybe it was transferred to MTA, and MTA subsequently abandoned it?

Dispatcher308

Premium Subscriber
Nope we have never had that frequency. I have all the lisc from 60's on up even when we were the Maryland Civil Defense Agency, and we never had that frequency. Looks like it is an error on the FCC's part. We also were lisc thru MSP to use 44.90 for Nuclear Power Plant Emergencies which is not used anymore it was a part of the old Rapid Response Team's Radio Cache which has been disbanded.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Interesting - but curious how the FCC could screw up two totally different contacts and their info. Maybe the submitters had a part to play? I'm sure it's not been the first time.

CA

doctordave

Nathan & others,

Speaking of 44.9 - any idea if MSP installations or other sites even have that freq available in their base radios, should they ever wish to bring it back into some form of use? I've had that freq in my scan list for ages....and the last time I actually recall hearing any testing was way back in the late 80's or early 90's. I recall reading somewhere (offsite) a while back that 47.5 might be available to MSP medevacs as an alternate to HELIMED.....any insight on whether that is true?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
MIEMSS has transmitters in western MD and the Eastern Shore for 47.5, so it makes sense that it would be available for ops in those areas. I'll have to plug it in and monitor, but I may not hear anything in Annapolis.

As far as 44.9 is concerned, it looks like most barracks are licensed as control stations, so I'd say that they probably have the ability, but not the need to transmit on the frequency.

doctordave

Thanks for the info on 47.5. I keep that freq in my radios, but have never managed to hear any medevac activity on it.

Was aware of the 44.9 licensing to MSP installations.....but that doesn't always mean that they actually have it programmed in at the barracks. Just curious if it is available. Interestingly, MSP now has so many 39 MHZ freqs, that I doubt they would ever have a need for 44.9, anyway. It has also been years since I've heard the 155.19 barrack-barrack freq used.

66twr2009

Premium Subscriber
For 44.9000 I heard muffled voice with static on 2/12/2010 in Frederick. It was such a bad signal that I couldn't tell what language it was. I've never heard anything else on that in the several months I've listened.

For nearby freqs I've also clearly heard the MD Trpr Choppers on 44.4700 and for 43.0000, muffled voice with static more than once in Rockville. 43.0000 is supposed to be a contractor that cleans up train wrecks. I've also heard clear activity on 45.1000 which is Adams Co, PA Public Safety and Northern VA VDOT. 47.5400 is supposed to be Loudon VA Fire TA and 47.4200 Loudon VA Red Cross but I haven't tried them. Some of these low band freqs seem to travel much farther than higher bands. I don't know if it's due to repeaters or something else. Does anyone know why? For example, I can hear 460.5250 in Franklin Co, PA and I'm pretty sure it's is a semulcast of 45.6200 but only heard it a couple of times with static on hills in Frederick and N. Montgomery Co's in MD (about 3 Co's away). I can hear 45.6200 fairly clear even in central Montgomery Co, MD.

Recently I heard a CB on 45.6200 which is Franklin Co, PA Public Safety. I'm sure it was a CB because I heard the guy on my CB and saw him drive by. When near, he often bleeds from CB Ch 19 up to 21 and down to 18 causing me and others to turn off our radios.

atlong

Database Admin
45.6200 is indeed a simulcast of 460.5250. I'm in Jefferson Co, WV and can here both of these loud n clear. Franklin Co, PA is the licensee.

atlong

Database Admin
Another point of interest here is that MD Medivacs do fly mutual aid missions a lot, especially into the eastern WV panhandle. I can't comment if they fly missions into PA and NoVa, but I would think that if needed they would. Of course these aircraft are equipped with programmable radios that can transmit and receive on almost any conventional frequency even with tone codes.

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
When frequencies/licenses hop around between MEMA/OPR/DHMH and other agencies, you'll occasionally see incorrectly submitted information.

The license information will be corrected at the next opportunity. Apparently, MTA had to give up the frequency years ago due to a FCC reg change, and some admin information was....confused.

W3DMV

460.525.KGB316 belongs to the Waynesboro, Pa police dept. in southeastern Franklin County.The county is on 45.620, and the Waynesboro system repeats that channel so they can communicate with other county units still using the low band channel...

66twr2009

Premium Subscriber
MEMA freq 44.46 -- Is MD trpr 44.70 still used?

I heard some testing between that and 47.66 some weeks ago and then nothing since. I've only heard one or both on 123.0250 and 122.7250. What's going on? I was only trying with a PL so next I'll try without. Recently I also heard an NRP Gambrill repeater freq doing 800 Mhz testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.