Memphis Area Trunking Systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatorman

Has anyone been able to listen to any of the Memphis/Shelby County systems in the database besides City of Memphis, Bartlett, FedEx, MLGW, Entergy? I am particularly interested in UPS, Northwest Airlines, any of the LTR Standard systems and the Federal Correctional Institution, Memphis. I have never been able to determine the offset, etc. for the FCI site although I was able to get some audio, once.

Thank you.

matthewtomek

Live Audio Admin
Feed Provider
I listen to MLGW every now and then. I once had Fed Ex in my Pro-96, but never really could understand what they were saying, so I took it out.

Gatorman

Thanks for your comments. I have found that FedEx, at the airport, is a fairly low powered system. I found a CC active for the NW Airlines system. Haven't programmed it yet. Nothing heard for UPS.

I am interested in seeing if any of the LTR VHF or UHF systems track. I have tried them but get nothing. It could be me but I could track the SCSO LTR system with no problems.

tspainiv

Shelby Co DB Admin
Database Admin
Gatorman said:
It could be me but I could track the SCSO LTR system with no problems.

SCSO was using an EDACS system BTW. C'ville uses an LTR Passport system so there's no way to monitor them, trunking wise, but you can conventionally.

I'm fixing to build me a data slicer and try and get LTR Trunk/Dump working and get some talkgroup numbers for Collierville, although it won't do any good for anyone....

I've never been able to hear anything with UPS or Northwest. Same goes for any of the LTR systems. I have helped ID the Fed-Ex 3 site in C'ville, I've only heard two people talking on it and it was about lunch.

I've also never been able to figure out how to track the FCI. I can get the CC just fine, but can't pick up any voice. Maybe I'm not listening long enough.

ke4ppj

A few months back I listened to one of the FedEx systems. It was not exciting at all. It was tough to get the CC to lock in...very marginal.

I want to try the MOT IIi hybrid the Airport Authority uses. I wasn't able to pick up a control channel here at the house though.

As far as Collierville's LTR Passport goes......they are a real pain to listen to. The scanner will stop every go around on constant key ups. I wish it would trunk.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
I monitored only three TG's on the Rail UHF LTR, and only two on the hospital LTR... never got eneough traffic to get a positive ID on em when i was there... Was too busy iether at work, or monitoring the SCSO EDACS, and Bartlett system.... :) As for the Airport Moto... If your in the Raliegh-Millington Road area its clear as a bell... and is pretty good from Bartlett from the Applebee's all the way into down town Memphis.

Gatorman

Thanks for all your comments. It is my understanding that the airport uses the FedEx system for all their comms. I know the airport police are on the FedEx system for sure.

Regarding the UHF system at FCI. It requires a base freq and offset to monitor in addition to the control channel. You have to hack it and I have been unsuccessful so far. The Uniden scanner requires it to make the system trunk.

In some areas, this info is published in the RR DB but no one has ever figured it out here in Memphis, apparently.

You would think there would be more traffic on the commercial trunking systems unless everyone has gone to Nextel. There used to be several 800 MHz commercial systems here, about seven years ago, that I monitored but it appears they are defunct now.

Again, your comments on this discussion are appreciated.

ke4ppj

Hey Milf....when you say FedEx are you talking about the hybrid system FedEx shares with the Airport Authority and Airport Police use? Or is it one of the other FE systems that is just for them?

regression

As far as other trunking systems, I have picked up the control channel for the Coors Brewing Company (Memphis) System. It is a 900 MHz system and is low powered. I work across the street from the brewery, so I picked it up full scale. But driving away from work today, I lost it a couple miles down the road. The only think I heard on it was someone telling someone else he had a phone call.

David

Gatorman

Thanks Regression. I live just a few miles east of the Coors location. I have never been able to hear a thing on any of the freqs listed for the system. Even with my yagi up at 65', hardline, etc.

It appears that a lot of these trunking systems ARE very low power which makes sense if they only need to cover a small area.

I recently learned that a small community near Orlando, whose system you couldn't hear more than four or five miles away, had about ten watts out of the antenna. It covered the limits of the town fine but the FCC apparently didn't want it to go any further.

The two FedEx systems that serve Memphis International don't get out too well. The one on Clark Tower booms all over the place though. I can hear the one in Collierville with an outside antenna from East Memphis.

Thanks for joining in the discussion.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
I am referring to the Airport Fed Ex system... And as for the Coors system, most of the traffic I heard while in Memphis was encrypted, with a single clear transmission, but I couldn't scan the 900 with the 2051,... it won't set up 900 trunking... But now that I have an 97 if I ever get back to Memphis i will see what i can nab.... Meanwhile any info you guys can contribute, please do so!

Status
Not open for further replies.