Memphis going P25 (Phase2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatorman

That is pretty interesting. What do we get out of spending the additional cash for Phase 2 I wonder. Is this needed or is it the typical Motorola story "we aren't going to support your current system anymore?"

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
No, that is secondary. Phase II is simply much more efficient. Period.

With Phase II comes TDMA, which in current generation is 2 Slot. That means 2 users active per TG per Voice Chan. P25 Phase I is FDMA, which only allows 1 user per TG per VC at a time. The sheer volume of usage on the current Memphis/Shelby County TRS is actually astounding, and the system really can't handle too much growth. An P25 can handle a LOT more RID's than the Smart Zone in use now. And then you toss in the fact that Motorola is no longer supporting the Smart Zone format. If the plan goes as it was originally intended for the Shelby County system, it will do much as Nashville in going to P25, then a certain other system will merge it. If Bartlett has a clue, they will also jump on board while the opportunity is actually an cheaper proposal for their options as well..

Keep your eyes and ears open folks, things are starting to get interesting again.

RadioCopFFFR

It's the same old Motorola song and dance. We aren't going to support SmartNet or SmartZone any longer. I foresee Motorola getting the contract for this one since Collierville went with Motorola. Not saying that P25 Phase II is a bad thing. It is spectrum efficient. I am sure that it will work well for Memphis and Shelby County since they have alot of traffic on their systems. I understand that their are several deadzones with the current system. I only hope they will be able to mitigate them when they implement the new system. I am sure the retired city employees and all city employees who are about to lose their retiree medical benefits are not going to benefit from the city having to pay Moneyrola probably $100 million or more by the time they get all of the backbone and subscriber units. Let alone paying an *** load of money to a consulting firm that is going to screw them around. Then Motorola and their shenanigans just to get more money out of the city. I do agree that Motorola makes damn good equipment. I do agree that you have to pay to get good equipment especially when people's lives depend on it. I just hate that the whole process is about how to get the most money out of the customer and give them a subpar product or come back and say it is going to cost a lot more money after they have started the work just to get more money out of the customer. I hope there is going to be grant money available to help offset the costs to the citizens. But most of that money is probably dried up.

Last edited:

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
As long as they are going P25.. there will be grants. And its not just Motorola doing the games playing, Harris is just as guilty now. As we see with Oktibbeha County in MS... Also, Memphis expressly endorsed joining the TACN years ago, and you may nay say it.. But I am willing to bet a beer and burger on them going to TACN. And yes, I will put money to mouth on this one. All you need to do is come to INDY if I am off. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.