Memphis Police Department

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThomasMM

Hi all and hope everyone is well. I used to scan back in the day the analog MPD comms and loved it! I purchased a p25 scanner when they went back to being in the clear. That's been back in 2009. I ended up selling it due to tough times and am wondering if the p25 system is still listenable, or if and when they may go full encryption? I apologize for the nob question. Thanks!

regression

Memphis is still in the clear and P25 Phase 1 but if they change systems or upgrade to the State of Tn TACN System they will have to go to P25 Phase 2 and anybodies guess on if they encrypt or not.

I thought Memphis Public Safety is using a P25 Phase 2 system. To the OP, I use a BCD436HP to monitor the system and it works well.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber

ThomasMM

Memphis is still in the clear and P25 Phase 1 but if they change systems or upgrade to the State of Tn TACN System they will have to go to P25 Phase 2 and anybodies guess on if they encrypt or not.
Thanks brother!

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Memphis/Shelby County is Motorola Legacy SmartZone that is built of the original Shelby County EDACS and City of Memphis Motorola SmartNet that used a proprietary digital format (VSELP), no scanner could follow. Those merged and were upgraded to an SmartZone that has P25 TG's over an Analog Data Stream. There have been talks in the works for many years to upgrade this now aging system to iether its own P25 system or make it an cell on the TACN. As of yet no finalization have been put out, though I really expect something soon, before system failures start happening due to the age of everything on the system.

INDY72

This system is twinned by the Memphis Power & Light SmartZone, and both systems share TG's and are backups to each other. (System 1) is the primary Public Service system and is comprised of a simulcast and 3 stand alone sites. (System 2) is the Operations Simulcast. We have no info on if it also uses the stand alone sites. So far we only have one of the stand alone's mapped. Which also gives you the info that whatever the City/County government goes to, the MP&L system is going to go to also.

INDY72

Now as for encryption: There is a LOT of encryption in use on the system by MPD, and some by MCSO. All primary dispatches are in the clear currently for both MPD, and SCSO. What will happen in the future, depends on the ones in charge when they finally do upgrade.

INDY72

So they are going to build out own system. Wondered if they had made a final decision on TACN vs go on own. Going to do patch ins to TACN or no word yet?

ThomasMM

Memphis/Shelby County is Motorola Legacy SmartZone that is built of the original Shelby County EDACS and City of Memphis Motorola SmartNet that used a proprietary digital format (VSELP), no scanner could follow. Those merged and were upgraded to an SmartZone that has P25 TG's over an Analog Data Stream. There have been talks in the works for many years to upgrade this now aging system to iether its own P25 system or make it an cell on the TACN. As of yet no finalization have been put out, though I really expect something soon, before system failures start happening due to the age of everything on the system.
Thanks so much for the information. I remember when they went to the VSELP system and was so bummed. I hope to hear something soon about future upgrades. I'm chomping at the bit to get back into this, but would hate to buy a scanner and not hear the action. Thanks so much and please keep us posted when you can!

Gatorman

Now as for encryption: There is a LOT of encryption in use on the system by MPD, and some by MCSO. All primary dispatches are in the clear currently for both MPD, and SCSO. What will happen in the future, depends on the ones in charge when they finally do upgrade.
I listen to all the listed talk-groups and I rarely, if ever, hear encryption. That being said, possibly my program is out of date or there are non-published TGs but there is plenty of surveillance's, etc. in the clear.

matthewtomek

Live Audio Admin
Feed Provider
Memphis is upgrading to a P25 Phase II system. Adding two or three tower sites also. New radios have already been purchased and issued. Will reprogram when the upgrades are complete. I haven’t heard any talk of encryption, but who knows. That may change.

Gatorman

i am listening to system now. Hearing nothing on SCSO TGs, MPD operating on emergency back-up TGs.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
I just noticed that I'm in Southaven listening now, looks like the system went down they are indeed on backup

Gatorman

I'm listening at 0920L and MPD and SO appears back up. Last night, MPD was on the emergency back-up TG's. There was no traffic from SCSO that I could ascertain although they may have been on one of the emergency channels.

Does anyone know what happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.