Memphis scanner group

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmann901

Premium Subscriber
Is there a Memphis group of scanner enthusiasts? I starting my interest in scanners in the 1980's but over the years got away from it. Now 20+ years later I buy a Uniden SDS100 and things have really changed. I'm look for a group that I can learn from and does such a group exist?

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
You found it. Kinda sorta at least. The Uniden forum might be more productive though for learning how to use and program the scanner. The SDS100 is a very capable and upgradable scanner that should serve you well. I don’t personally have one but I know there is a lot of upgrades that you can make on them, but again you’ll wanna surf the Uniden forums on RR.

YouTube is also very helpful for how to information, but I think there is also a page here on RR that will guide you on about anything you’d want to know.

Meow, with that all being said, once you start hearing things on your scanner or have questions about a new talk group or something that has suddenly appeared this would be the right spot.

Another excellent resource for you would be a ham radio club. Of course they will want to talk you into getting your Tech ticket, and if you do you’ll be glad you did. Chances are you’ll make some good friends who share similar thoughts and experiences as you. Many hams cut their teeth on scanners and CB radios so don’t get discouraged. Truth be told many of them also have a scanner in their hodge podge of radios. Heck even the California Highway Patrol uses them.

Hopefully that gets you on the right track, but if you’re still lost just say so and I’ll provide you with some links or you can direct message me. Don’t know how useful I’ll be with the SDS 100, but I’ll at least get you pointed in the right direction.

mrmann901

Premium Subscriber
You found it. Kinda sorta at least. The Uniden forum might be more productive though for learning how to use and program the scanner. The SDS100 is a very capable and upgradable scanner that should serve you well. I don’t personally have one but I know there is a lot of upgrades that you can make on them, but again you’ll wanna surf the Uniden forums on RR.

YouTube is also very helpful for how to information, but I think there is also a page here on RR that will guide you on about anything you’d want to know.

Meow, with that all being said, once you start hearing things on your scanner or have questions about a new talk group or something that has suddenly appeared this would be the right spot.

Another excellent resource for you would be a ham radio club. Of course they will want to talk you into getting your Tech ticket, and if you do you’ll be glad you did. Chances are you’ll make some good friends who share similar thoughts and experiences as you. Many hams cut their teeth on scanners and CB radios so don’t get discouraged. Truth be told many of them also have a scanner in their hodge podge of radios. Heck even the California Highway Patrol uses them.

Hopefully that gets you on the right track, but if you’re still lost just say so and I’ll provide you with some links or you can direct message me. Don’t know how useful I’ll be with the SDS 100, but I’ll at least get you pointed in the right direction.
Thanks for your reply. I am a ham with a General ticket but haven't found many locally that are into the SDS100. I will look at more YouTube videos. Any links you have outside of RR would be appreciated.

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your reply. I am a ham with a General ticket but haven't found many locally that are into the SDS100. I will look at more YouTube videos. Any links you have outside of RR would be appreciated.
Really between YouTube and RR you’d be hard pressed to find better information.

YouTube is full of how to videos.

As for monitoring in Memphis you should have a lot to listen to. TACN and Shelby County trunked system. More corporations than you can shake a stick at. Lots of federal stuff with the Navy base and Air Guard.

There is regional specific talk groups on TACN as well as state wide talk groups. Of course you’ll only hear whatever active TGs a subscribed radio is sitting on. As an example you probably won’t hear LE 7, 8, or 9 in Memphis because those are used in East Tennessee, but THP Statewide you will hear. You and I are on opposite sides of the state so radio traffic here will be different from there.

Arkansas also has a statewide system, but I’m totally unfamiliar with it and wouldn’t have a clue where to start. I want to think Mississippi does not have a statewide system, but I could be wrong. You’re close enough to them it might be something that interests you.

The Tennessee Communications Field Operations Guide is also useful in monitoring. I will say in public service - East TN - we use VTAC 11 and UTAC 42 very frequently. We’re just now starting to transition to 7/800 MHz so I can’t really comment on what gets used on that side besides the TACN TG, but in general if simplex can be used over tying up a repeater we tend to lean that way.

I think you’ll find RR to be about your best resource on the SDS100.

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber

Your THP District is 4. (Knox is 1 and Fall Branch is 5 - makes lots of sense huh?)

If the description of the talk group is T or D you’re golden. If there is DE or TE means it is full time encrypted and you probably won’t hear anything but once in a blue moon it might go in the clear. Most things in Shelby County are in the clear - enjoy it because everyone seems to thing big E is super cool these days.

mrmann901

Premium Subscriber
Great info and links. You've pointed me in the right direction. Thank you.

W4EHS

Hello all, new to the area and just got an SDS 100. I have been around radios forever and also a General ham radio operator.
My question for those in the Memphis/Collierville area is, are you able to pick up the Collierville truck system?

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
Perhaps you should pm mrmann901 and share programming files. Between both of you there should be some good information. I’m on the other side of the state otherwise I’d play radio nerd with you.

W4EHS

So... with any new toy that is a learning curve, and as the toys get smarter and smarter/....
I some how did something to the unit and then reloaded the full database and everything is working great. Man this thing can do a lot!

RadioCopFFFR

There use to be a group of about ten or so people that use to meet up from around 2004 til about 2007 time frame that were scanner enthusiasts. It fizzled out due to work and family commitments of most of the members.

mrmann901

Premium Subscriber
There use to be a group of about ten or so people that use to meet up from around 2004 til about 2007 time frame that were scanner enthusiasts. It fizzled out due to work and family commitments of most of the members.
If anyone is interested in getting a group started, I'm interested.

Vulcanccit

Geek-Broadcast Engineer-Computer Dude-Scanner Dude
Im late to this thread but I am in Memphis (actually Cordova) :) I would be interested as well. I am using a bouncy new 6 day old baby SDS 200 full of Memphis stuff :). My wife and I are enjoying the EMS and Fire channels and I love the Aviation stuff. I had some ethernet interference on some of the aviation channels around 125.8 +- bur that was solved with a different ethernet cable. I am going to post about that in a different thread as I tried 3 cable but this last brand/style was the clear winner.

If you would like to trade frequency info and or start some kind of group, or maybe a Memphis thread I will join :)

mrmann901

Premium Subscriber
Im late to this thread but I am in Memphis (actually Cordova) :) I would be interested as well. I am using a bouncy new 6 day old baby SDS 200 full of Memphis stuff :). My wife and I are enjoying the EMS and Fire channels and I love the Aviation stuff. I had some ethernet interference on some of the aviation channels around 125.8 +- bur that was solved with a different ethernet cable. I am going to post about that in a different thread as I tried 3 cable but this last brand/style was the clear winner.

If you would like to trade frequency info and or start some kind of group, or maybe a Memphis thread I will join :)
I'm interested in sharing info. I bought an SDS 100 in October 2021. I've loaded frequencies from Radio Reference for the Shelby/Memphis and Fayette county area. If there is a way to email me from this site please do.

Vulcanccit

Geek-Broadcast Engineer-Computer Dude-Scanner Dude
I'm interested in sharing info. I bought an SDS 100 in October 2021. I've loaded frequencies from Radio Reference for the Shelby/Memphis and Fayette county area. If there is a way to email me from this site please do.
I think I can export what I have and I think I can attach it to a message... ill see what I can do later today. I have Ems, fire, police, and aviation loaded up....I also added Tennessee railroads and the maritime but not sure what to really add on the last 2 so I have it all lol

Nozzleman71

Premium Subscriber
Have Shelby County gone encrypted?
I certainly hope not. I heard today it might be happening. I know MPD and SCSO swapped to the new system today and I can't hear anything on them on the radio now. MFD and SCFD are supposed to swap tomorrow. I guess only time will tell if they have gone encrypted.

Status
Not open for further replies.