Mercedes ML-350 Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
Just recently added a Yaesu FT-7800 with expanded memory range to my mobile installation. This was done by the local professional radio shop - C-COMM911 in Smyrna, Georgia. They did an outstanding job as usual. I should admit that the install of the BC-396T scanner and BC-RH96 remote head that is just below the Yaesu remote head was installed by yours truly. The speaker for the Yaesu doesn't show in these pics but it's mounted on the drivers side of the console down low.The 800 MHz antenna is connected to the BC-396T and the VHF quarterwave is for the Yaesu.

Last edited:

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Yep, I saw it coming a mile away :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I have just purchased a Yaesu FT7800R (with modified freq coverage) and plan to install it in my Mercedes ML-350

So is this radio modded to RX even more than it does, or does it let you TX where you should not be TXing?

Hell, I really don't care anymore. If some dude ends up dead because his sub-par ham radio fails in a critical time and he pays the price.....well that's not on me....

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
Yaesu

Kelly:

I, along with others, discovered a dealer who sells the Yaesu ham radios with expanded memory on both VHF and UHF to include the public safety bands. That way I can use my scanner to focus on the heavy 800MHz traffic in the Atlanta area while using the 1000 memory channels on the Yaesu to cover the conventional VHF/UHF agencies. It offers 20 memory banks and 1000 channels and is the easiest thing in the world to program if you buy the software that goes with it. If you know how to use Excel, you can program this radio with one hand.

Here is the link for the dealer. Good luck.

www.theantennafarm.com

Grog

Banned
Grog:

What in the world are you talking about man?

It sounded like you had a radio modded to TX out of the ham band, because all the FT7800s will RX outside the ham band in stock form. They even advertise that on their website. I'm really not sure what that dealer is saying otherwise. There are several types of software for it as well, some prefer others but it good to have a choice unlike with most scanners.

If you don't TX outside the hamband, then I do offer my sincere apologies and will leave what I said to put this size 14 in my mouth :lol:

Grog

Banned

WouffHong

Keeping it Legal

Addendum: My Post Was, As Explained Calmly And Unemotionally To Him In His Irate Phone Call Just A Moment Ago, A Tongue-in-cheek Comment With Concern Mostly For The Radio-shop License, And Not A Condemnation Of Him. I Explained The Need For Type-acceptance And That A Gmrs License Is Only For Gmrs Type-accepted Equipment, But Was Insulted And Then Hung Up On Before Completing The Reason Explanation And Non-criticism Aspect. No Personal Attack, Mike - As I Said Before You Slammed The Phone Down. But Never, Never Call Me Again, Sir.

sounds Good..

Now: When You Get Your Ham License, Maybe We Can Offer To Re-solder The Mandatory Cut-off Mike Cord For Legal Use..
:roll::twisted::roll:

just Recently Added A Yaesu Ft-7800 With Expanded Memory Range To My Mobile Installation. This Was Done By The Local Professional Radio Shop - C-comm911 In Smyrna, Georgia. They Did An Outstanding Job As Usual. I Should Admit That The Install Of The Bc-396t Scanner And Bc-rh96 Remote Head That Is Just Below The Yaesu Remote Head Was Installed By Yours Truly. The Speaker For The Yaesu Doesn't Show In These Pics But It's Mounted On The Drivers Side Of The Console Down Low.the 800 Mhz Antenna Is Connected To The Bc-396t And The Vhf Quarterwave Is For The Yaesu.

Last edited:

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
You guys have ALL spoken out of turn and without information you should have had before you posted comments. In addition to be a scanner and fire department enthusiast, I am also a licensed (WQIT636) GMRS operator. This radio allows me to lawfully transmit ONLY on those frequencies where I'm supposed to. And yes, I'm currently studying for my ham technician license and then I can lawfully Tx on the ham bands. I never have and never will transmit on anything I'm not supposed to - IT'S AGAINST THE LAW AND IT NEVER OCCURRED TO ME!!!

And, I can do without the comment about me being able to afford the radio - or whatever else I want. That's none of your concern. I retired from 36 years as Vice President of a Fortune 100 corporation and I generously share my good fortune all across this community. So, please keep your jealousy to yourself. If all of you who posted the assinine comments will now go back to the inital thread post, it was about the INSTALLATION JOB, not meant to be a personal attack on your truly.

Grog

Banned
You guys have ALL spoken out of turn

I took my turn, then the other dude did.

I am also a licensed (WQIT636) GMRS operator. This radio allows me to lawfully transmit ONLY on those frequencies where I'm supposed to.

Good for you, did you know that you cannot use that FT7800 to legally transmit on GMRS? If not, now you do.

I retired from 36 years as Vice President of a Fortune 100 corporation

The e-peen is strong with this one.

it was about the INSTALLATION JOB, not meant to be a personal attack on your truly.

Ok, all those wires coming out of the handheld look sorta sloppy. By the way, no one attached you, don't get all butthurt over us having a little fun with someone. It's not like we really got into breaking FCC regulations.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
I stand corrected and will act accordingly. You guys have a super day - and try and do something positive for someone else before the sun sets

n8emr

Sounds like an out of band mod. Metrofire31 be aware you cant transmit on your yaesu 7800 on the firebands. Not legal.

Tommahawk

Ok, we silly hammies listen up.... Is it illegal to transmit on that radio out of band? Yes it is....... How many of you actually do it? I would say 90-99% of you! Why do we insist of citing the rules when we ourselves don't follow them? I am guilty as such as well. We are trying to make ourselves look great but what does that do? It diminishes your own integrity!

So lets grow a set and confess that while it is illegal to do so, just like using a turn signal or speeding we are all guilty of it!!!!

Sorry just had to get that in there.....

MrRevesz

Premium Subscriber
Instead of having an e-fight, go do it in person... there's no point in arguing about nonsense..

Anyhow, I don't see pictures?

kellykeeton

man i didn't think i would have started a ****storm with that post

I thought expanded memory meant that you had more EEPROM to store channels which is what i didnt get.

why do people care so much about popping a resistor to open the band hell the VX-7 you can select in the menu to open the radio.. I have hacked my 7800 and wanna know what, you are legal to transmit on anything in a emergency.

can you all please take the legal or not legal posts to QRZ where old farts that "never beak the law" sit around and play who has the larger tower. This is a picture of your shack chain.

and to the OP next time people feel the need to play FBI on you just say that your involved with MARS and you can uncap your radio for MARS i don't care what this bunch of NON lawyers say.

MOD: please give us all the satisfaction of locking this thread before there are 1 million posts picking out the small details in my post of the laws in the county of somewhere in the state of who cares.

SCPD

QRT
I thought this thread was for showing pictures of radio installs,etc.?...

Yes it is, but I don't see where there are any pictures posted.

A good way to have a radio that transmits in the public safety band and in the ham bands is to purchase a commercial grade radio and have it modified to include the ham bands or modify it yourself using instructions available on the Internet. This assumes you have permission to transmit in the public safety band. I'm a member of our town's CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) and have permission to transmit on a dozen or more public safety frequencies. I also transmit on 2 meter ham frequencies using the same radio.

It is illegal due to FCC Type Acceptance to modify a ham radio to transmit outside the ham bands, but it is not illegal to modify a commercial grade radio to cover the ham bands.

Pass the popcorn will you!

Status
Not open for further replies.