Merging V-Scanner Folders in EZ Scan

Status
Not open for further replies.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Howdy,

I am wondering if anyone has identified an efficient way to merge V-Scanner folders using EZ Scan (or any other software). I use different V-Scanner folders for different geographic areas. On my main, "home", V-Scanner folder, I have over a dozen scan lists for common channels like aircraft, interop, DPS, FRS/GMRS, state and federal agencies, etc.

I would like to be able to include the "common" scan lists in with each geographic V-Scanner Folder without having to re-import all of the common frequencies from Excel (and change the settings that never import properly, such as modulation). Basically I want to merge two folders together.

I know how to copy V-Scanner folders. And I now use my "home", comprehensive, V-Scanner folder as a template when I start a new folder. However, I constantly add things to the "common" template, and it would be nice to quickly update it rather than import hundreds of entries into over 15 different V-Scanner setups.

I hope someone has some tips. Otherwise, I guess I have a lot of grunt work to look forward to. I'm using the WS1080.

Much thanks to anyone who speeds this up for me!

Swipesy

For reasons explained several times on these forums, GRE/Whistler have purposely crippled the EZScan software to prevent Exporting data. There are two workarounds, others may have more, that I use. (1) You can use the Copy Current Data to A V-Scanner Folder and then delete what you do not want in the new folder; (2) Build all V-Scanner Folders through the use of Excel, for example, and Import selected data from Excel into EZScan via the Import From Clipboard Function. Time consuming but works.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
I do exactly what you mention. But there's nothing quick about it.

Does anyone know of another program that will read the .dat files Whistler uses? Looking at their files, it's clear what stores what, I just can't figure out what might be able interpret and arrange the data.

I'm in the market for another scanner, and this problem will seriously affect my decision (if you are reading Whistler).

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
Sorry to revive the dead, but has anyone come up with a way to copy the contents of one v-scanner folder to another. I have a group of conventional channels that I need to copy from one v-scanner to another one.

Thanks,

Rich

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Rich,

Is the receiving v-scanner folder new or does it have existing data?

If it is new, just export your old configuration to file and then import it as a different v-scanner number.

If it has existing data, then you are out of luck. Hopefully you kept the data in some other spreadsheet. Otherwise, it looks like some hours of manually transcribing data out of the scanner programming software you bought for your scanner.

Going forward, make sure you put your conventional objects in Google Docs or Excel. Anything you program into your own scanner or its programming software is not portable. You are allowed to make an exact copy, but you cannot merge.

However, sir, you have inspired me with a great idea. Thank you for posting.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
I definitely go with Swipesy's methodology. I just take everything I want to be universal at a certain level, and copy it to other V-scanner folders. I try to keep five copies of each blank.

ex: I have a setup for State of VA with state gov't stuff, plus reference scanlists such as rail, marine, low power business freqs, aircraft, mutual aid, federal itinerant, etc. I maintain it as V-Scanner #11. Each time I update it, I also copy the data to V-scanners 12-15 which are also standing by as 'blank' files that I can add data to for specific areas. (I also tend to maintain a lot of stuff on spreadsheets for 'clipboard' import. Another advantage of this is that my 'reference' scanlists are numbered the same everywhere. 14 is always local rail. 18 is always low power/itinerant, etc.

Then V-scanner 11 also becomes the basis for 'blank' V-scanners 21-25 which have all the state and standard info, plus local stuff for my hometown area. I can then use those as a basis to specialize V-scanners for mall hunting, the airport, or other localized projects.

Having multiple copies of the boilerplates is not necessary, but I keep them in case I want to mess around with something in the field. When preparing for a project, I usually copy the 'blank' V-scanner of choice to a new V-Scanner numbered between 3 & 10, and add my extras in this new environment.

When working with conventional objects, I also like to completely delete a given scanlist, and then do a clipboard import on the new scanlist that I've been modifying in Excel. That way, all the conventional objects in a scanlist stay together on adjacent rows in the Conventional tab.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

Yes, it's cumbersome. It would be great to have wildcard scanlists in the V-scanner folders that could be drawn from just one source file. But even with that, I'd way rather deal with this overall user interface than Uniden's

73/Allen (N4JRI)

Last edited:

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the tips. Do any of you have the Excel format and/or a blank spreadsheet that I could tinker with?

Thanks again,

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.