Meriden PD Breaking news

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeyC

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
like I said, Meriden was talking about going to encrypted months ago, I highly doubt the video or the incident had anything to do with it. What I personally think went on was they played with the system got most of the bugs out then flipped the switch. with encryption getting cheaper and cheaper these days it sucks but don't be surprised to see more departments doing this

bluefox2163

who is next

if new britain goes enc im done scanning it sucks but there wont be anything to listen too anymore the days of scanning are probably coming to an end

55engine

Premium Subscriber
new britain no money thay have one new frq for the trunk system thay need to reband befor 2013 with the police station the antennas will be in place and thay mite stay with type 1 radios the only city in connecticut with that radio system i cant see new britain go enc but you ever no these days

N1TGE

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
New Britain's system cannot support encryption as it stands. When the new PD is in place and NBPSTC goes online in the new space there is supposed to be a 800 P25 system quickly following. Rumor are that it may somehow interact with the states microwave backbone, etc.

Again - these are all rumors.

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
I'm not a big PD listener but I sympathize with those listeners who used to monitor those departments going towards encryption for various reasons. I remember when Milford went encrypted years ago and it was the same argument on both sides. Unfortunately with PDs they think it might be better since the crime rates for some places are high and this would better protect their communications.

I'm still a believer in "free and clear" main communications and having tactical communications encrypted for officer safety. I guess the "all or nothing attitude" might be a better sell for the PDs. Oh well.

jdanon

A lot of Fairfield County towns have been encrypted (or have the capability) for a while. They can afford to buy the latest and greatest with all the bells and whistles given their practically unlimited budgets.

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
just wanted to touch base about this here. tonight, I was at my daughters in West Haven also. she lives over by UNH. Anyway I had my 396XT and never locked out Meriden PD. Just to throw this out there and not sure if anyone else has this going on. We were able to hear the dispatch side loud and clear however the car to dispatch showed up as ENC on the radio with the digital noise. Is this what you guys were getting or was it a fluke? Also for some reason, I coan't see scrambling the car to the station but not the reverse, I would think it would be both ways

Dude111

An Awesome Dude
bluefox2163 said:
if new britain goes enc im done scanning it sucks but there wont be anything to listen too anymore the days of scanning are probably coming to an end
I agree..... Its sad that these agencies DONT CARE ABOUT LOSING GOOD QUALITY!! (They willingly goto this digital trash and ultimatly start having all kinds of problems)

N1TGE

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
It is entirely possible for dispatch to remain in the clear while fields are encrypted. This is common practice in some areas outside of CT. As for quality, digital audio is almost always better for recoverable audio. It appears that a lot of the problems we hear about are operator error or system setup issues. Remember, digital systems are much more complicated then analog but they offer a lot more features. Any new system will have growing pains.

MTACOP

Retired
Premium Subscriber
The Future

Sad but true, I know Department heads bringing up this at meetings all the time. I'm not too familiar with the tech side, but know that it is an option included with some of the new Motorola radios, and Department's are taking notice and buying these radios.

Years ago when Milford PD went to encryption I started to monitor the FD, and local hotlines, so I can catch anything big going on.

This is the future for many agencies as they get new equipment.

APX7500X2

I agree..... Its sad that these agencies DONT CARE ABOUT LOSING GOOD QUALITY!! (They willingly goto this digital trash and ultimatly start having all kinds of problems)

Really? 1994 called and wants its digital ideas back... Now lets move you to 2012

freightguy

For Channels 1 & 2, they have gone dark. Channel 3 - you can hear the dispatch from the Mobile Command Center at the Special Event at Hubbard Park - Daffodil Festival, but you cannot hear the units.

This may be what you are hearing through tonight when it ends.

I have blocked ALL of Meriden PD's freq's from being sent to the feed, as I don't believe it is my responsibility to let them be able to monitor freely when they mess up and have an open radio.

Occasionally you can hear a unit sign on for a shift, but it is about all you hear from that unit.

MPD is gone!!!

Mike

tmik

Encryption....

Maybe the streaming audio here on RR plays a part in decisions to go full encryption? Hmmm.....Anybody with an iPhone can monitor? Do you really think Law enforcement is digging this? Think about it....We the scanner enthusiasts are probably contributing to our own demise...Sad, isnt it? Just my 2 cents worth....I have monitored Meriden PD for years...too bad the fat lady finally sang! :(

freightguy

You don't need an Iphone, Android, or fancy app to hear the streaming audio, just internet access. As for these feeds contributing to endangering any officers' safety, well that is the excuse the agencies use to solicit the funding from the council members. Have yet to hear or see any documentation on any specific case where a perp is charged with, in addition to the crimes committed, any language related to the use of, or monitoring during the act of, as relates to listening to PD airwaves.\\

Look what happened in Milford - encrypted. Officers drag racing with cruisers. And former Off Jason Anderson T-Bones a vehicle out of town, while following Sgt Anderson (also at a high rate of speed) back to Milford from West Haven at 96 miles per hour on Orange local streets.

In Meriden, Chief Cossette's kid (also a cop) is beating taxpayers to a pulp, and now he is collecting his 6 digit income behind a desk while awaiting several trials for assault.

The Encryption is a ticket to do and to say anything they want over the air. In this day and age, I don't see the point. Meriden officers have laptops in their vehicles and city issued cell phones for delivery of not to be broadcast confidential information. Why they needed to strap the taxpayers with a $2m tab for this privacy is beyond me. A total waste of money, unjustified, and unwarranted.

eclipse175

Attributing bad behavior to encrypted comms makes no sense. Remember any recorded radio traffic can be requested under FOIA.

Furthermore, I think the post about the iPhone was not about fancy listening devices, rather the easy accessibility to audio feeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.