merine radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
hi i just wondered if you are far form ocean. if you could get by with
puting a vhf merine radio in a pickup truck.

also could you still pick up the coast grard on the radio, if your in kansas
your far form the ocean who would ever know you could put one in your vehcle.

rankin39

Marine radios are regularly used on both the Missouri River and on the Corps of Engineers lakes here in NE KS, especially in Summer. I've heard people bootlegging on some marine channels from time to time. I don't know if they get caught or not.

Why not buy MURS radios and use them? No license needed, same band and propagation characteristics..

Bob, WoNXN

ecps92

There are plenty of in-land water-ways that ise the VHF Marine channels.

Without a proper License, it is illegal to use it [transmit] from your vehicle.

They could still pick you up, even if you don't hear them.

hi i just wondered if you are far form ocean. if you could get by with
puting a vhf merine radio in a pickup truck.

also could you still pick up the coast grard on the radio, if your in kansas
your far form the ocean who would ever know you could put one in your vehcle.

SCPD

QRT
Marine radios are regularly used on both the Missouri River and on the Corps of Engineers lakes here in NE KS, especially in Summer. I've heard people bootlegging on some marine channels from time to time. I don't know if they get caught or not.

Why not buy MURS radios and use them? No license needed, same band and propagation characteristics..

Bob, WoNXN[

Robert thanks for getting back to me. i just really use that merine for a base scanner
to hear whats going on. also i live in buckley wa, im about 50 miles
form seattle wa, and i can pick up loud and cear. the only channals i heard
the coast graud on was channal 14 channal 16 channal 81
and sometimes fishing boats on channal 10
and channal 5.

N

N_Jay

You can "put" it any where you want.

You may not TRANSMIT on it from land or any land vehicle (with some very specific exceptions.

ksphotoguy

there are a lot of marine radios in use by coyote hunters where I live. the fcc could probably make a sweet haul in fines if they would get on the ball and pursue it.

nec911

when I was growing up in North Central Kansas, the FCC wrote some large tickets to coyote hunters one year. Not only is it illegal to use but it could create safety problems if someone who is licensed needs it and can't use it because someone unlicensed is using it.

ksphotoguy

I heard that some hunters in the Beloit vicinity got nailed a few years back. Not sure how true that is tho. I would think the FCC would make a stronger effort at catching the hunters, but then again, they are usually only hunting on the weekend and maybe the government doesn't work weekends.

n0lqt

I heard that some hunters in the Beloit vicinity got nailed a few years back. Not sure how true that is tho. I would think the FCC would make a stronger effort at catching the hunters, but then again, they are usually only hunting on the weekend and maybe the government doesn't work weekends.

Yeah, all 14 of them. There is like total of 14 people that work in the Kansas City office of the enforcement bureau of the Land Mobile Radio division of the FCC's Office of Wireless Communications. The only time they get excited is if there is interference in the aviation bands. Look at the mess CB radio became.

The FCC is one of the most "Top Heavy" federal agnecies there is. I discovered this several years ago when trying to deal with some malicious interference to a Ham Radio repeater. Unless you have all the physical evidence they need to file their complaint all wrapped up for them with a nice red bow, it's "we'll get back to you on that."

rankin39

FCC bloated but inadequate.

The FCC is one of the most "Top Heavy" federal agnecies there is."

Amen. Their staff is totally inadequate to handle all the broadcast radio/TV, cellular, two-way, microwave point-to-point and so forth that are in their 4 state area. Not to mention the fact that "back in the day" there were people with actual engineering degrees on the FCC. Now they're all attorneys, and we see the results.

Bob, WoNXN

Status
Not open for further replies.