Merry Christmas Iowa Radio Nuts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
Just wanted to take a moment today to wish all of you at RR a very Merry Christmas for you and your loved ones! If you were travelling, hope you made it safely, if you weren't, good idea!

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
Left for Kansas City on the 23rd, not even very much rain on the way down but northern Missouri had some seriously dense fog. I'm coming home tomorrow... not looking forward to being on the snowy roads with people that can barely drive when the pavement is bone dry in the middle of the summer...

We got about 12" of snow down here, lots and lots of drifting. Saw a sand truck flipped over on US 50 east of Kansas City, and fire trucks were getting stuck all over town. Doesn't sound like it's too bad in Des Moines. But relatives in Dickinson County said they've got about 16" from this storm (not total ground cover, that's just a storm total).

timkilbride

Database Admin
Left for Kansas City on the 23rd, not even very much rain on the way down but northern Missouri had some seriously dense fog. I'm coming home tomorrow... not looking forward to being on the snowy roads with people that can barely drive when the pavement is bone dry in the middle of the summer...

We got about 12" of snow down here, lots and lots of drifting. Saw a sand truck flipped over on US 50 east of Kansas City, and fire trucks were getting stuck all over town. Doesn't sound like it's too bad in Des Moines. But relatives in Dickinson County said they've got about 16" from this storm (not total ground cover, that's just a storm total).

I drove from Indianola to Cedar Rapids today. No problems at all. HWY 69, I-80, and HWY 151 were all just wet. Other then the couple plows I saw working, it was smooth sailing.

Tim

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
I drove from Indianola to Cedar Rapids today. No problems at all. HWY 69, I-80, and HWY 151 were all just wet. Other then the couple plows I saw working, it was smooth sailing.

Tim

It was pretty nervewracking getting out of Kansas City. The DOT plows down there aren't as good as Iowa DOT plows, and the drivers are inexperienced in snow (it's bad enough down there when it rains -- you think I'm making it up but I'm not). Once I got up to about Cameron, it was pretty clear. The sun was out between Cameron and Indianola today so the roads were actually pretty dry. Damn glad to be back home though.

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
I drove to Toledo today to visit family, primary roads were very good, mainly wet with patchy ice but no more than %25 in the small parts it was icy. Significant improvement over yesterday or the day before! Have to hand it to the Iowa DOT, they sure know how to clean up a mess when given the proper tools. I can't say the same for these city crews. Its like they run a steamroller over the stuff instead of scraping it up! Oh well, could be worse!

Hope y'all enjoyed your holidays and have a happy new year!

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
I went to Alta today (Near Storm Lake), and the amount of snow they saw in Western Iowa is ridiculous. I could see where some drifts across the road were nearly 10' tall in Buena Vista county.

The city of Alta plowed everything into the middle of the streets creating a 15' high pile the length of main street. No place to put it all.

The ditches are all full with loose powder on top which makes highway driving somewhat fun.

timkilbride

Database Admin
I went to Alta today (Near Storm Lake), and the amount of snow they saw in Western Iowa is ridiculous. I could see where some drifts across the road were nearly 10' tall in Buena Vista county.

The city of Alta plowed everything into the middle of the streets creating a 15' high pile the length of main street. No place to put it all.

The ditches are all full with loose powder on top which makes highway driving somewhat fun.

How far West can you work the Webster County ARES repeater?

IowaBrian

Ho Ho Ho to all Iowa Nuts

Ref the KC area Lived there for years it is a cluster when it snows, they suck removing snow they wait and it just turns into tire ruts 100% ice. KC metro used city and private to remove snow been 8 years since i lived there they hired someone back then that would make it better he was from the snow belt ha ha like they say can't polish a TRD can't fix a system that doesn't have the trucks or people with no motivation to work. Takes 4 city trucks to do anything fix a water leak, patch a hole in the road.. I loved it when the local news followed them around and found them sleeping in their trucks. I can remember being on a job site and 12 city workers sitting in the shade they told me can't start to do the job as they work only 4 days a week and today was their last day and it was too late in the day to get the job done so they don't even start they just sit for 2 hours and do nothing and will pass it to another crew for the next day. That is why my taxes were so high waste waste waste.
My rant is over

Happy New Year./

IowaGuy1603

Lots of fun times in the past in "Alta

Sunday night stock car races!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.