Mesa PD

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD7JVRinAZ

Premium Subscriber
I got a GRE PSR-500 for Christmas. (My first digital scanner) I'm only having trouble trying to listening to anything on the TOPAZ RWC. I am receiving it choppy or digitized. I've tried using either Mesa Simulcast or Thompson Peak or both at the same time. I've assured that I am putting in all the site frequencies. I live in 4 story apartment building, my external antenna is outside my window.I am in direct line-of-site of both the Mesa tower and Thompson Peak. Any ideas/suggestions?

wls1951

Premium Subscriber
You are experiencing the same problem that I have with receiving
the Mesa PD. The only cure that I have found is to install a Yagi
antenna and point it at one of the towers. I have mine pointed towards
MCC and that works quite well. I am receiving everything at nearly
100%. The simulcast system they use causes the scanner to receive
signals at different times which cause the audio to be choppy. The
receiver just does not cope well with simulcast signals. You can hang
a Yagi from the ceiling if you can't put it outside. I have one installed
in my attic for when the weather gets stormy, I can still listen to the
scanner and not worry about the outside antenna catching a lightening
strike. Hope this helps.

KD7JVRinAZ

Premium Subscriber
Thank you very much. I've been wanting to check into Yagis for a while now. I guess now I have an even better excuse. BTW, this scanner is awesome. If it was beer, I'd be an alcoholic.

kingshootr

Premium Subscriber
Is this a fairly recent change? I could have swore a couple months ago I was getting the "dispatch" channels fairly well, but now next to nothing. That's why I popped on tonight to see if anybody else was having issues with Mesa PD. If I need an inexpensive YAGI for 800mhz, any recommendations?

Last edited:

Astrak

That would work, you'll need to purchase some N to BNC adapters as well. You won't want to point the antenna directly at a tower. WPNY928 (MESA, CITY OF) FCC Callsign Details should give you a fairly good idea of where the towers are located. It takes some playing around with before you'll be able to get it right. When I lived in Mesa I used an 800mhz RS antenna and moved it around until I found a sweet spot and taped the antenna in that location and I used a yagi for the Phoenix PD feed.

kingshootr

Premium Subscriber
Cool, thank you for that information. Is the yagi super directional, or will it pick up fairly strong signals from other depts. in the same freq bands? I don't know if Pinal Cty, Gilbert, MCSO, Rural Metro, etc use the same repeater site or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.