Mesa Police Standoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigjstud1108

Mesa Police received calls for shots fired at 3445 E University Drive just after 2330. Some guy shot his girlfriend then her boyfriend, and then some other woman in the driveway.

When police arrived the man had a gun in his mouth and was threatening to kill himself. Police managed to get the girlfriend out of the line of fire and moved her to the FD staging area in front of the neighboring complex. Where FD pronounced her dead at about 2350. The second female was also rescued and was rushed to Scottsdale Osborne, were her condition is unknown. The male victim was reportedly inside the residence with the suspect and police were not able to get to him or see him.

At about 0100 hours, the suspect began to pray and then shortly after shot himself in the driveway. SWAT then cleared the house and requested FD to move in. I was not clear what the status of the male victim or the male suspect was. FD did not transport any one else and went back into service.

PD had trouble communicating with SWAT. SWAT went to clear comms. Their Lapel mikes or throat mic’s had very bad audio. SWAT sounded like they were underwater, At one point the LT on scene request that the speak slowly because no one could understand them. It was kind of cool to be able to listen to SWAT. I was able to follow the whole incident play by play. They described every move the suspect made, including the way he stood, and what he was saying. Even to the final moments when the suspect began to pray, when I heard that I knew that this guy was about to kill him self, and then the SWAT officer Said, “Suspect Down, Suspect Down, He’s still moving, watch the gun”. It was some interesting listening. I now wish I could listen to SWAT more often. Damm Encryption.....

Last edited:

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
bigjstud1108 said:
Mesa Police received calls for shots fired at 3445 E University Drive just after 2330. Some guy shot his girlfriend then her boyfriend, and then some other woman in the driveway.

When police arrived the man had a gun in his mouth and was threatening to kill himself. Police managed to get the girlfriend out of the line of fire and moved her to the FD staging area in front of the neighboring complex. Where FD pronounced her dead at about 2350. The second female was also rescued and was rushed to Scottsdale Osborne, were her condition is unknown. The male victim was reportedly inside the residence with the suspect and police were not able to get to him or see him.

At about 0100 hours, the suspect began to pray and then shortly after shot himself in the driveway. SWAT then cleared the house and requested FD to move in. I was not clear what the status of the male victim or the male suspect was. FD did not transport any one else and went back into service.

PD had trouble communicating with SWAT. SWAT went to clear comms. Their Lapel mikes or throat mic’s had very bad audio. SWAT sounded like they were underwater, At one point the LT on scene request that the speak slowly because no one could understand them. It was kind of cool to be able to listen to SWAT. I was able to follow the whole incident play by play. They described every move the suspect made, including the way he stood, and what he was saying. Even to the final moments when the suspect began to pray, when I heard that I knew that this guy was about to kill him self, and then the SWAT officer Said, “Suspect Down, Suspect Down, He’s still moving, watch the gun”. It was some interesting listening. I now wish I could listen to SWAT more often. Damm Encryption.....

Wow can't believe I missed that one... I was in bed before 9. :D

-AZ

bigjstud1108

Mesa police kill double slaying suspect
Gary Grado, Tribune
A man and woman were slain and their suspected killer shot by police overnight at a 55-and-older community in Mesa.
The shooting at the Las Alegras Adult Community, 3345 E. University Drive, appears to have stemmed from jealousy, according to court documents.
According to detective Steve Berry, Mesa police spokesman, Christine Villiger, 57, and James Moyer, 63, were shot by Thomas Kotecki, 63.
Kotecki was ordered by Maricopa County Superior Court to stay away from Villiger after he assaulted her, harrassed her and threatened her in January, court reocrds show.
“He has told a neighbor that he would beat any male visitors to a pulp,” Villiger wrote in court documents.
Villiger told the court that Kotecki said if he couldn’t have her, then nobody could.
Berry said police were called at 11:20 p.m. to the community, located between Lindsay Road and Val Vista Drive, for a “shots fired” call.
When officers arrived they found Villiger and Moyer shot and in different parts of the complex.
Officers used patrol cars as cover to get the wounded people, place them on the hood and drive them to treatment.
Berry said the woman was pronounced dead at the scene. The man was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
As they were performing the rescues, officers were confronted by the gunman, according to Berry.
SWAT team members arrived and began negotiating with the Kotecki, who was agitated and kept waving his gun around, pointing it at officers and himself, and going in and out of an apartment unit.
Berrot Bromley, who lives in an adjoining apartment complex, witnessed the confrontation from a neighbor’s second-floor balcony. He said the gunman yelled profanities as police tried to calm him. Bromley said the gunman began to advance on the officers, who opened fire. Bromley said he heard six shots from police.
“He just hit the ground and they tried to revive him,” Bromley said. “Definitely the cops had the right (to shoot the man).”
According to a singles website, Kotecki was a realtor and had been single for 14 years.

jambo

At one point in the operation I heard dispatch say that she patched Swat, ICALL, and Hot channel so they all could communicated with one another because they also had Firefox helping them for a few moments. I wasn't sure if firefox is the state police helicopter or maricopa county's. Anyway what I was wondering is if anybody caught that ICALL channel or TG that was used by mesa?

I'm new to the ICALL thing so any info on how to get it programmed or working would be greatly appreciated.

wlmr

jambo said:
At one point in the operation I heard dispatch say that she patched Swat, ICALL, and Hot channel so they all could communicated with one another because they also had Firefox helping them for a few moments. I wasn't sure if firefox is the state police helicopter or maricopa county's. Anyway what I was wondering is if anybody caught that ICALL channel or TG that was used by mesa?

I'm new to the ICALL thing so any info on how to get it programmed or working would be greatly appreciated.

Among the hits when I googled ICALL was the following:

http://www.npstc.org/documents/IO-0060B-20070612 Standard Channel Nomenclature Final.pdf

They are conventional frequencies and I'm assuming that the ones you would be interested in would be the 800MHz frequencies.

I guess the dispatcher patched two talkgroups and the conventional frequency together for whoever the helecopter was.

Status
Not open for further replies.