• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Metal Roof base Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayMojave

Prcguy had bought two SPT500 antennas and was going to show all of us how they need to be assembled / tuned. Hope he posts it soon.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

FPR1981

Vector 4000 all the way. I've compared directly against the Penetrator. No comparison, IMHO.

The Vector is an absolute powerhouse, and it talks skip effortlessly. I cannot suggest it enough.

prcguy

I got one Penetrator assembled and tuned up no problem at about 5ft off the ground. They redesigned the matching network at the base, it used to be thick aluminum wire and now its a stamped sheet metal thing and shaped different. The original 1970s and the last version I bought about 10yrs ago had double wall tubing for the bottom section and now it looks like single wall. They have found ways to save a few more pennies but the basic antenna is still the same and will work the same as the 1970s version except for more sway in the wind.

The sheet metal matching thing was a bit distorted in the shipping box and I found bending it around will change the match some and you can do some final fine tuning by bending it closer or further away from the antenna. I still think the Hy-Gain Penetrator the best thing going in CB antennas despite what the toothless inbreds at MFJ have done to it since MFJ now owns Hy-Gain.

The dimensions in the instructions are for 10m amateur use but you put the ground radials together as they specify at 105" then start with the vertical element at about 22' 6" and adjust for the best match on CB. Mine is around 22' 9" when centered around CB channel 20. Raising it way up in the air will probably change that slightly.

1619102222892.png

Prcguy had bought two SPT500 antennas and was going to show all of us how they need to be assembled / tuned. Hope he posts it soon.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

prcguy

Uhhh, no. I don't think there needs to be a video, the instructions are ok and there is not much to go wrong. Once its together you check the match and change the length of just the the vertical element until it works where you want it.

Prcguy did you make a video on you setting up and tuning them by chance?

Papseylathers

Uhhh, no. I don't think there needs to be a video, the instructions are ok and there is not much to go wrong. Once its together you check the match and change the length of just the the vertical element until it works where you want it.

Ok thanks do you have anymore pictures? Do you currently have this mounted?

Status
Not open for further replies.