Metcom has a new voice... again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTWHTD

I believe it is another text to speech software being tested to see if it can be a replacement to the current one. I agree, it's more difficult to understand so far!

MikeyB

I believe it is another text to speech software being tested to see if it can be a replacement to the current one. I agree, it's more difficult to understand so far!

Why do they keep replacing them (or try to replace them)? I find it really hard to understand these. As a matter of fact it is a good thing they repeat things because the first time I cannot really understand. Also it doesn't seem to have the delay after keying in but before talking like the human systems do.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Gentleman please respect /Susan/ just another test another of the system, too bad she does not have a sexier voice.

Jim<

TTWHTD

From what I understand the reason to use these voices is that it, at this time, is the only option westnet (their station alerting system provider) offers. The positives of using their system as a whole, as opposed to just certain parts of it, for the stability of the station alerting, outweigh the negatives of the computerized voice. The important call info is sent to the MDT's in the trucks so hearing the specific call info in the stations isn't as important. Although for us listeners it still blows! This is what I was told.

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Clacking rocks together: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; DROID X2 Build/4.5.1A-DTN-150-30) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

They need to pare down the inflections as well, IMO. "Chest pains' isn't something that should sound like its being said by a waitress at TGI Fridays. "Who wants chest pains, party people!" :D

seberry

From what I understand the reason to use these voices is that it, at this time, is the only option westnet (their station alerting system provider) offers. The positives of using their system as a whole, as opposed to just certain parts of it, for the stability of the station alerting, outweigh the negatives of the computerized voice. The important call info is sent to the MDT's in the trucks so hearing the specific call info in the stations isn't as important. Although for us listeners it still blows! This is what I was told.

Ugg makes me want them to go back to Locution... Lola was great!

And I agree, the inflection of "Susan" that they were testing was terrible, she sounded downright excited to be dispatching "fall victim" calls! LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.