METCOM still in use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoooyaJohn

Premium Subscriber
Was wondering if METCOM was still in use? I have not heard it being used for some time.
Any help appreciated.

stmills

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile 6.0) Sprint S511)

I have not heard much traffic on there recently but did confirm from Unitrunker logs that it is still in use.

HoooyaJohn

Premium Subscriber
Metcom

It is part on Zone 1 Interoperability Metro Talk-groups, so I have it in each of my Metro Tower systems. Dakota, Washington Mpls etc, so it is off of the CC for each tower site.

If I am doing it wrong, let me know.

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
It is part on Zone 1 Interoperability Metro Talk-groups, so I have it in each of my Metro Tower systems. Dakota, Washington Mpls etc, so it is off of the CC for each tower site.

If I am doing it wrong, let me know.

I have it included in an "interop" group in for each site along with all the PTACs, LTACs, etc. I hear traffic on it once in a while but not very often.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

n9upc

METCOM is designed to be used within the Metro area and is only allowed in consoles and not in field units. Some exceptions for programming into field units for back-up radios and such has been approved in the past.

Since it is a console resource and if no field units are sitting on the talkgroup no one will hear any transmissions on it at all.

It is a very hard talkgroup to pin down and monitor since not a lot of filed units have it.

mmtstc

Ø
Premium Subscriber
To Expand on N9UPC's post, if there are no subscriber units that are affiliated with MetCom, then the voice traffic is carried strictly over the Microwave network that links all of the Dispatch Consoles to the ARMER system and doesn't require any Voice channels to carry it.

It also will only appear on UniTrunker logs if there is a Subscriber that is currently affiliated with the talkgroup.

I would also assume that it is not a scannable talkgroup, and must be the primary select in order to be heard on a subscriber radio.

It never has been all that busy of a talkgroup though, only when multiple agencies need to be notified quickly or if there is a safety issue that requires rapid notification that is faster than hitting the speed dial on a consoles phone, like an officer safety issue.

dwgelle

If a dispatch center was on their back up mobile radios that are run through the consoles as well you would then see it as a subscriber unit as stated to.

HoooyaJohn

Premium Subscriber
Thanks all for the replies. It makes sense. I use to hear State on the channel talking to other PSAP's requesting EMS/Fire etc to events on the highway, but not anymore.

Thanks again

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
Thought I would dig this thread back up to mention that I have been hearing Metcom quite a bit the last few days, mainly on Anoka County. It had been a long time since I had heard it at all.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

davef3138

Feed Provider
METCOM is designed to be used within the Metro area and is only allowed in consoles and not in field units. Some exceptions for programming into field units for back-up radios and such has been approved in the past.

For what it's worth, McLeod County's Fire fleetmap lists METCOM in one of the Interop zones in their radios.

I had a hunch that METCOM was 31500, based on watching the way a few radios were affiliating, seemingly hitting each zone in the same order as the fleetmap.

-Dave

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A523 Safari/8536.25)

It seems that METCOM has changed into the regional hailing talkgroup much like the other regional CALL talkgroups. I have also seen radio layouts with METCOM in them.

mmtstc

Ø
Premium Subscriber
In the metro, the only radios i have seen Metcom in are consoles and supervisor units. Our dispatchers portables don't even have it in them IIRC.
i have never seen it in a police or fire radio in either Anoka or Hennepin county.
In my UniTrunker database, i have only seen about 40 non-console ID's affiliate with Metcom in 4 years of running UniTrunker. (i have about 32000 radios logged)

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A523 Safari/8536.25)

mmtstc said:
In the metro, the only radios i have seen Metcom in are consoles and supervisor units. Our dispatchers portables don't even have it in them IIRC.
i have never seen it in a police or fire radio in either Anoka or Hennepin county.
In my UniTrunker database, i have only seen about 40 non-console ID's affiliate with Metcom in 4 years of running UniTrunker. (i have about 32000 radios logged)

I would agree with this. I think what is now happening is the Metro may be preparing to start the change process to come in line with the rest of the state's regional pool talkgroup concept . Just my thoughts and observations.

mmtstc

Ø
Premium Subscriber
The goal was for the metro field unit hailing talkgroup to be MSPcall, not Metcom. Not sure how the dilution occurred.

JASII

Memory Capacity
METCOM Still In Use?

I heard it last week when Metro Transit Police (dispatch) called Minneapolis ECC regarding a medical on a bus.

Last edited:

MPSMP

Glad I came across this thread.. Today I heard what I assume was a training drill on what I have in my scanner as MAC FD TAC2 talkgroup 10846. THe dispatcher called it METCOM and was calling Multiple Hennepin Co agencies on it. Know Im a little confused. The talkgroup I have for METCOM is different from the on I have for MAC FD TAC2. Do I have the right discrip programmed in for talkgroup 10846 or is it wrong?

johnmoe1

10846 is a jail; lots of talking this afternoon about a problem with the heat (pumps/valves/etc).

METCOM is 48. No traffic over the air this afternoon. I don't actually know this for sure, but my assumption has been since it is used for dispatch center to dispatch center, rarely are radios tuned to it therefore come over the air (just over fiber or microwave or whatever). When I see it on the air, I most often see it on Dakota. (About 51 minutes of audio received this month.)

Status
Not open for further replies.