Metra - Rock Island

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirbwolf

Greetings!

I'm a novice when it comes to scanners and modern radio technology - so please bear with me.

I'm playing around with a PRO-97 scanner - and have programmed it with the frequency as listed in the database here - 161.3400mhz. However I can't seem to pick up anything with it, even while on the train itself.

I confirmed that the scanner itself works, as I'm able to pickup local Police and FD dispatch.

So, I'm looking for some guidance as to what I'm doing wrong.

Is it equipment? Operator error or is the frequency listed incorrect?

Thank you in advance!

TheRover

Try 161.100 csq Sometimes the conductors run on this one. Does your radio have CC or signal stalker ? Im not familiar with the pro97, I only use Unidens.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I hear the Metra fine on 161.34 here in Joliet when they arrive in Union Station using a outside antenna up 35'...On the rubber duck its problematic....

sirbwolf

I replaced the rubber duck antenna with one off of an older scanner - which allowed me to pick up the freq in my car...however it's only when I cross the bridge on 80. I think my issue was a combination of a bad antenna, and the fact that I thought there would of been more talk on the air than what I'm hearing.

I live out in Channahon - and looking to putting up an external antenna. Do you think I'll have any trouble pulling in the signal from there?

Any recommendations on antenna / and height?

Thanks for the comments / suggestions!

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I use the RadioShack small groundplane 25-1.3 mgz =24.99...I use 50' of RG6U low loss shielded cable on a tower w/pipe up 35'....It all depends whats in the way =trees etc, and curve of the earth where you are, very difficult to tell...I live near Provena Hospital in Joliet which is a ways west and have no problem hearing them...There is very limited traffic on 161.34, this morning i hear them say "doors closed", lets roll....

Status
Not open for further replies.