Metro Cities Fire Dispatch-Samantha is Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

1942LA

So, I hear the "Samantha" computerized dispatch voice has made a reappearance over at Metro Net.

I've never been a fan. And, I wonder, if you need a "Primary Response" or "Primary Radio" (who verifies the correct/closest units are been dispatched) dispatcher, then what is the function of "Samantha?"

Ravenfalls

Premium Subscriber
CAD does all that. Very efficient & near immediate. By the time you hear the dispatch, the units are usually in their vehicles since data faster than voice.

Markb

Premium Subscriber
To tack on with what Ravenfalls said, the voice dispatch is pretty much a redundancy/formality any more. With the newer CAD/MDC's and station alerting, vendors offer alerting via pager (as is the case with MetroNet) or smartphone. Pulsepoint has been a game-changer for some departments, as the call is input and transmitted to subscribed phones before the dispatchers are done processing and sending the call over the radio. There are a few smartphone-based systems that function as a full-featured MDC with statusing, mapping, routing, and stuff like that.

Last I heard, Samantha just reduces dispatcher workload. The call is dispatched according to whoever CAD recommends. Very little oversight required. If a unit believes they are closer due to an error or they believe they may be able to get to the call faster if they are already on the road, for example, they have the ability to take the call and cancel the unit that CAD recommended. The tactical dispatchers may audit the response and make changes if they see an issue. I am not sure how they QA/QI Samantha, but I'm pretty sure they have a process to make sure errors are minimized without someone standing over her shoulder - so to speak.

LA-OC_SCANNER

I always liked the automated dispatch voice. Takes a little longer for a call to be broadcast out, but it is usually easier to understand and I personally have always enjoyed it.

Last I heard, Samantha just reduces dispatcher workload. The call is dispatched according to whoever CAD recommends. Very little oversight required. If a unit believes they are closer due to an error or they believe they may be able to get to the call faster if they are already on the road, for example, they have the ability to take the call and cancel the unit that CAD recommended.

Do you know if units have always been dispatched automatically by the CAD or if this is something brought back with Samantha? I know in the past, without Samantha, there were issues with units being dispatched from the resort area in Anaheim into Brea, when a Fullerton/OCFA truck is much closer and available. Just trying to figure out if most of these issues should be fixed now, or if that was always just an issue with the CAD.

Robertolson

Premium Subscriber
With Only Broadcastify .......I Like the robot voice much better ...louder..... unlike OCFA verbal dispatch .....with earbuds and 100% volume ......I can barely hear the dispatch call ........ Now with a scanner it might be a deferent story.

dcfc2405

Agreed. I missed Samantha personally. Seems like they slowed her down though I remember before I really had to pay attention she spoke too fast. Back in the day before the e word when Samantha was resting I had to crank the volume on my scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.